The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Identifying RHD Prospects to Acquire (Discussion)

49 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i’ld go after rd calen addison and ld carson soucy from minny.  i like jared mcisaac,  ld from detroit. 

I noticed that Carson Soucy also Joe......but he is 26 years old already, isn't that kinda Tryamkin ish?

17 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

As many have said, Noah Dobson is not leaving Long Island.  He is too important to them.  Nor do I see Tampa moving Foote, maybe they could be persuaded to move Cernak?

Bode Wilde is a very possible get but is 2 years away, me thinks.

I could see Montreal moving one of Fleury or Brooks, they need LD so there could be something there.

Nils Lundkvist I like, he is more offensive than defensive but I think he may be able to do it all. He may be similar to Rathbone.

Carolina has a lot of dman, Antoni Honka could be an option and probably easier to get than Nils Lundkvist and probably cheaper. But again 2 years away.

Washington not sure if they'd move Jonas Siegenthaler, he is similar type of player to Nikita. both shoot left but play right side. Always like Jonas

not sure of anyone else but these may be some that could fit and I can see a trade happening with

A very interesting parralell ............................Jack Rathbone and Nils Lundkvist

Dobbler Prospects has them rated very close, in fact they see saw each others expectations...........

So, is there a Rathbone for Lundkvist 1 for 1 , in the future. No doubt Rathbone would love to be back east, where as Lundkvist would likely like it here, considering our past and present history............any objections or thoughts?

I guess, if we could move things around a little........it could be interesting...................

...............................Jared McIaasac for Demko

...............................Nikls Lundkvist for Jack Rathbone

Young guns..............................

Hughes.....................Lundkvist

Juolevi......................Woo

McIaasac..................Tryamkin (not so young!)

Risks?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

A very interesting parralell ............................Jack Rathbone and Nils Lundkvist

Dobbler Prospects has them rated very close, in fact they see saw each others expectations...........

So, is there a Rathbone for Lundkvist 1 for 1 , in the future. No doubt Rathbone would love to be back east, where as Lundkvist would likely like it here, considering our past and present history............any objections or thoughts?

I guess, if we could move things around a little........it could be interesting...................

...............................Jared McIaasac for Demko

...............................Nikls Lundkvist for Jack Rathbone

Young guns..............................

Hughes.....................Lundkvist

Juolevi......................Woo

McIaasac..................Tryamkin (not so young!)

Risks?

Hmm very interesting, never thought about that as I'm kinda excited to see what Rathbone does here but I actually also kinda like it.  I think this could actually really work out well for both teams and both players as you mentioned.  This could really be one of those deals that's win not just for both organizations but players.

• Cheers 1

No ELC guys will be available at a reasonable price.

Everyone Is either on an internal cap with their owners hurting from Covid shutdowns... or they are close to the cap.

ELC guys are also expansion exempt so are even more valuable as they don’t need to be protected.

Realistically we are better off waiting until expansion or getting a more expensive guy that the other team reruns cap or takes cap back.

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2020 at 2:34 AM, smithers joe said:

i’ld go after rd calen addison and ld carson soucy from minny.  i like jared mcisaac,  ld from detroit. 

Guerin targeted Addison as part of the return for Zucker - he waited out to get him.  He's unlikely to be available unless for a package for a C1.  Guerin again talked of how their need is a C1.  Minnesota is planning their D replacement down the road and Addison is a big part of that. He is also not expansion draft eligible and the Wild could be losing a D if they don't protect 8 skaters.

Soucy is a UFA and just had poor playoffs.

not a prospect but on a cheap deal is Scott Mayfield from NYI. Seems to play a solid game, on a dirt cheap contract so unsure if they would want to move him.

If Tampa would trade Foote for Virtanen and rights to Tryamkin that might work well for the players and teams.

• Cheers 1

Lundkvist I like, but at 5'11 we are kind of in a need for more size, Hughes and Rathbone are both under 6'0. Juolevi is our tallest young defensman going forward. He's like 6'2/6'3. Woo for all the talk about his toughness is maybe 6'1 if he grew since his draft, which he was listed as 6'0. So for that reason I am not particularly interested in Lundkvist despite liking him as a prospect.

Lets be real, all ELC defensemen are gonna be at a premium with the cap stagnating for the next few years. Hell, all ELC players period will be at a premium. It costs a lot for a good right handed d-man generally, add in cap stagnation and it'll cost even more. We need to recoup a couple more 1-3 round picks or target a d-man with our 3rd rounder this draft regardless of a BPA forward. 

23 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

not a prospect but on a cheap deal is Scott Mayfield from NYI. Seems to play a solid game, on a dirt cheap contract so unsure if they would want to move him.

If Tampa would trade Foote for Virtanen and rights to Tryamkin that might work well for the players and teams.

LOL your not getting Foot , Tampa needs cheap contracts Virtanen would not make their roster . They have lots of prospects that are cheap. Maybe you could get Cernak with a offer sheet. for 4 million

On 8/12/2020 at 12:25 AM, janisahockeynut said:

Me too! Which is why I did it this way....just want to hear what idea's people have.

Go after Cernak from Tampa Offer Sheet him $4.2 mil x 4. Big can skate and has a mean streak.only costs us a second round pick

On 8/14/2020 at 9:36 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Thinking out loud - please don’t shoot me. :-p

1) Podkolzin for Moritz Seider

One deal or the other would help boost our right side D.

Yzerman's big on big Mo Seider, doubt they would trade him when they reached in the draft to pick him.
Some fanalysts say he could be in their top 4 as soon as next season seeing how they're bare besides Hronek on RD.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2020 at 2:33 AM, N4ZZY said:

This upcoming draft is a crucial one. Need to draft best available in the first round (which we don't have), and then I say we need to target RHD's after that since we got almost nothing in the system. 

Hmm...so really rather than fantasize a trade where you're coming up a with a bribe big enough to convince teams to cough up one of the creme de la creme of prospects - a right-handed D - it might make more since to trade for picks in the upcoming draft.

Here's a few I pulled of somebody's top 30 list:

4. (4) Jamie Drysdale (5-11, 175), D, Erie (OHL) -- The right-shot defenseman is capable of running the power play and driving offense with his skating and elite hockey sense. He had 47 points (nine goals, 38 assists) and 22 power-play points in 49 games.

15. (15) Braden Schneider (6-2, 202), D, Brandon (WHL) -- A two-way right-shot defenseman who is capable of playing the power play and penalty kill with great competitiveness and smarts. He had 42 points (seven goals, 35 assists) in 60 games in the Western Hockey League.

22. (22) Justin Barron (6-1, 195), D, Halifax (QMJHL) -- The right-handed shot, who returned to the lineup Feb. 26 after missing three months with a blood clot, had 19 points (four goals, 15 assists) in 34 games. He's a proven skater and competitor capable of making the good first pass.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-nhl-draft-top-prospects/c-316240380

There's also Alex Cotton

Thimo Nickl

Helge Grans

Mitchell Miller

Luke Prokop

and so on...

What would we have to give up to draft one of those in the upcoming draft? Not as much as the prospects in the OP I'll wager.

37 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Hmm...so really rather than fantasize a trade where you're coming up a with a bribe big enough to convince teams to cough up one of the creme de la creme of prospects - a right-handed D - it might make more since to trade for picks in the upcoming draft.

Here's a few I pulled of somebody's top 30 list:

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-nhl-draft-top-prospects/c-316240380

There's also Alex Cotton

Thimo Nickl

Helge Grans

Mitchell Miller

Luke Prokop

and so on...

What would we have to give up to draft one of those in the upcoming draft? Not as much as the prospects in the OP I'll wager.

So who does Vancouver move in order to get a 1st?  Vancouver doesn’t have a 2nd this year either. So expecting to pick up a prime D prospect in the draft this year is a bit of fantasy 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

So who does Vancouver move in order to get a 1st?  Vancouver doesn’t have a 2nd this year either. So expecting to pick up a prime D prospect in the draft this year is a bit of fantasy 

There's quite a few RHD prospects out there in this draft.  I think someone like Michael Krutil (https://thehockeywriters.com/michael-krutil-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/) would be great as a defense-first but effective passer with size and mobility.  Someone like him who may have slipped in rankings due to injury but who has potential is someone that I'd want next to Hughes, hopefully to fill in a Brandon Carlo mold.

Edited by Phil_314

26 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Kind of. Drysdale might be a daydream on the level of those prime prospects in the OP, but middle 1st or later, I don't know... Are you sure we don't have enough to go after one of them. What have we got to bargain with then? 

Next year's picks?

One of these?

Something out of here, maybe?

I think I'm going to disagree with you. I'm thinking it might be possible to put a package together for middle of the 1st or later picks that wouldn't be as costly as those juicy prospects in the OP. Especially when you consider Benning's talent at finding talent in later rounds.

Then you just have to wonder if there's enough existing talent to hang on while this years RD draft picks develop.

Edited by John_Guest

13 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Kind of. Drysdale might be a daydream on the level of those prime prospects in the OP, but middle 1st or later, I don't know... Are you sure we don't have enough to go after one of them. What have we got to bargain with then? 

Next year's picks?

One of these?

Something out of here, maybe?

I think I'm going to disagree with you. I'm thinking it might be possible to put a package together for middle of the 1st or later picks that wouldn't be as costly as those juicy prospects in the OP. Especially when you consider Benning's talent at finding talent in later rounds.

Then you just have to wonder if there's enough existing talent to hang on while this years RD draft picks develop.

So getting back to my question. Look at it from the other teams perspective. Realistically, what in those two lists would interest Pittsburgh enough to move the 15th OA so Vancouver can draft Schneider? (As an example).  They already made the decision to keep this years pick rather than giving it up as part of a previous trade condition.  So why would they move it for what amounts to spare parts from Vancouver? (Not saying there’s no quality there, but if those pieces can’t help the Canucks right now, why would you assume they’d interest Pittsburgh?).  My point is that with the exception of the trade deadline, it’s difficult to pick up a high pick in the draft at or near the draft.  

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

So getting back to my question. Look at it from the other teams perspective. Realistically, what in those two lists would interest Pittsburgh enough to move the 15th OA so Vancouver can draft Schneider? (As an example).  They already made the decision to keep this years pick rather than giving it up as part of a previous trade condition.  So why would they move it for what amounts to spare parts from Vancouver? (Not saying there’s no quality there, but if those pieces can’t help the Canucks right now, why would you assume they’d interest Pittsburgh?).  My point is that with the exception of the trade deadline, it’s difficult to pick up a high pick in the draft at or near the draft.  

Well Pittsburgh is not the only team with draft picks. As an example of who else does have picks let's consider say...the Ottawa senators.

This article tells us Ottawa has a need for right wing. We have a few spares there, don't we? We also have 2nd and 3rd round picks next year too, don't we? 

This guy thinks Ottawa will be alive to pick Braden Schneider 21st with the pick they got off New Jersey. If it happens that way are you really certain Vancouver couldn't put something together for them that wouldn't break the bank for us?

I know I pooed pooed the idea of going after Jamie Drysdale but he could be around when Ottawa picks at 5th. Things that make you go hmm...

Edited by John_Guest

The more I think of it I start to come up with 'what ifs.'

Like what if 6 foot 2, two hundred and nine pound Braden Schneider is available to pick at 21. 

Dobber Prospects has this to say about him:

Braden Schneider is one of the top defenders eligible for the 2020 NHL Draft. His game is predicated on effective puck movement and a willingness to use his strong frame to his advantage. Defensively, he stays in a good position and closes the gap on the rush. He engages physically, stepping up on a forward who is attempting to enter the zone with possession. He battles in front of the net, using his size to clear space for his goaltender. He has a penchant for throwing big hits that can sometimes take him out of the play which is one area of his game that could use some cleaning up. The young

We could use somebody like that. 

How about this then. Kole Lind, Jake Virtanen and just so Ottawa can feel a little better about not strengthening their own RD, the rights to Tryamkin for Ottawa's #5 and #21 pick in 2020. Also their 2nd and third rounders? Possibly their 4th as well. ::D

(OK, to be reasonable, maybe some variation of the above.)

Edit:

Oops, forgot...Virtanen's an RFA this year, isn't he? Still, you get my point. Vancouver is strong on right wing. Ottawa is weak. We've got stuff to dicker with. Are their still people around who want to trade Boeser and sign Toffoli, for example? How many picks could you get from Ottawa for Brock Boesser, I wonder?

Edited by John_Guest
  • Haha 1

Nils Lundkvist. Is a guy I would target. With De Angelo and Adam Fox ahead of him in line there may be an opportunity to scoop him at a reasonable price. He has been excelling in the SHL he could be exactly what we need. He's slick puck moving rhd to fit right into our high tempo offence.