The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, luckylager said:

Hangover fading

Reality setting in

We beat the champs last night and looked good doing it. Wasn't some flukey win handed to us by the refs, or vs a team that didn't show up ready to play. That was real playoff hockey and an impressive performance.

I'm so excited for the future of this team. Most exciting young core in Canucks history. 

Where's the "shoulda rebuilt like Edmonton or Toronto" crowd?

They're shifting to the "should've rebuilt like the Avs or NYR" crowd. They've been too far gone on the "Canucks have been doing it wrong" wagon that they can't turn back now.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Hangover fading

Reality setting in

We beat the champs last night and looked good doing it. Wasn't some flukey win handed to us by the refs, or vs a team that didn't show up ready to play. That was real playoff hockey and an impressive performance.

I'm so excited for the future of this team. Most exciting young core in Canucks history. 

Where's the "shoulda rebuilt like Edmonton or Toronto" crowd?

If you don’t scorch the earth like Toronto, buffalo and Edmonton you are doing it wrong.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers could pulverize him. MacEwen could be a solid choice to run him through the boards. Roussel and him could exchange some francais, and Edler could clothesline him again. Lots of options. 

What I like about this team is that we can make teams pay for taking penalties with our pp and if the game is tight and refs are letting the players play we can push back with the best of them. This team is learning on the fly how to win by playing full 60s. Lovin every minute of it!

:towel:

ABCC3F5F-3759-4FEC-862A-63666CE2B29A.jpeg

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think he was a bit lucky to avoid a penalty on that play. He did a good job of selling it as a collision....

I think that non-call was a big part of the reason that AP and the rest of the Blues were so salty about the late Interference call. It was an obvious penalty, but he has to believe the zebras didn't give him the same leeway they gave Eddie...

I also loved how that caused an offside lol

5 hours ago, coho8888 said:

Whether we win or lose this series, can't help but think how much experience this team will gain going forward.  They are the defending champs and built like a cup contending playoff team.  Had we faced Dallas or Colorado, we may not get this type of experience.  Petey, Boes, Bo and Huggy are all core members of this team going forward and all have had little to no NHL Playoff experience.  They are also the type of players that will soak in this experience and learn from it moving forward.  There is only so much you can learn from watching tape.  Actually experiencing the tough grind, the cheap shots, the close checking cannot be replaced by looking at Videos.  And its not just the players.  This is Green's first kick at the can as a Head Coach in the NHL Playoffs.  The line matchups and in game adjustments while important during the regular season are magnified in the playoffs.  Again invaluable experience.  Lastly, this will give JB an idea of where his team is at.  Ultimately, you build a team that will be successful in the playoffs.  Without playing an actual playoff team in the playoffs, you don't have sense of where your team is at.  What its made of.  This will let JB know what adjustments he needs to make going forward.  The type of players that he may need to bring in to fill the gaps etc..

There is no pressure for the Canucks as they are not expected to win.  Just sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of the playoffs.

This...

Spoke about it before the play offs started, the huge importance of the players learning and experiencing play offs. 

Despite how well the team is performing just now, this team is probably still at least 2 years away from being fully evolved.

Whatever the final outcome will be, the experience of it all will be invaluable, and one of the main reasons Benning was to prepared to pay the piper to get there...

So far so good....

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Jyrkki Lumme is likely the best we've ever had, but yes, his ceiling is nowhere near where QH's is....

Growing up in the Lumme era, i have to disagree. Quinn is hands down the best we've seen. His edge work, the way he pivots on the line, his vision, passing and now even shooting is all better than Lumme. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Growing up in the Lumme era, i have to disagree. Quinn is hands down the best we've seen. His edge work, the way he pivots on the line, his vision, passing and now even shooting is all better than Lumme.

I think you missed my point. Lumme was the best we've seen prior to Hughes....

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Very happy that our PP setup was back and looking great for game 1. Found that we couldn’t setup properly in the Minnesota series. 

I'm wondering if the refs now decide to put the whistles away seeing how the canucks are taking advantage of the powerplays. 

I can picture this turning into Bruins series 2.0 where we go from lots of calls to none and the game slows down with the Blues clutching and grabbing... That's the only way they'll keep up