The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Vancouver outscored them 5 on 5 and on special teams. Both teams had stretches of dominance which is not surprising, difference was our best players we're better than theirs. That's all we can ask for.

They outplayed us 5 on 5 though... 

Canucks had a good first half, wouldn't say dominance but you could say they carried the play (maybe). Blues we're the better team in the 2nd half pretty easily.

The good thing is we now know how they like to play first hand; get it in and grind you down. I thought our passes weren't always on (even w/o pressure), we can still be better IMO.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Score aside we we're the 2nd best team tonight. The Blues turned the switch for sure. My trepidation about playing STL instead of DAL was validated.

The Blues played really well. I thought we had a good 1st half but we weren't quite succinct. We're going to have a tough time if STL is playing like that but I do think we can play a little better than tonight. 

BTW.. That was the Marky we all know and love. What a save at the end!

I agree in that the Blues controlled play once in the o zone for sure. Their cycle and puck possession is tough to break. Keys to series haven't changed. PP, Marky, Canucks team speed. Blues looked slow tonight. Will this change? I'm not convinced. I think they are beatable. Bennington looks average, they look slow. One game though so I will just enjoy it. 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We hung with them in the first half but they had up pinned most of the 2nd half. Shots 30+ to 20+ & that's not a coincidence.

I do think we can still play better.

Absolutely! Good opening, we needed to get the first game. Blues played goonish & if they keep it up we should still get PP's.

On the positive side, I thought the Horvat line was really effective.

Bo was a beast. The Blues have a real problem in deciding to put O'Reilly up against Bo or Petey. 

I was also concerned over the Blues ability ti force so much play in our end. Most of the shots weren't dangerous tho so there's that. You can sure see where the Blues get their chances. Not sure what else the guys can do, I expect the shots to be tilted the Blues way each game but we've got better shooters. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Don't think this was posted yet but love this pic

Big Mac knows exactly what he's been through and is giving him the biggest cheer. MacEwen will have a big goal in these playoffs sometime surely.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Honestly it was a really close game until the 3rd goal by Stecher that deflated the Blues.  

Very evenly matched, Blues had a bit more posession

It's that team's bread and butter. They hit you, hit you hard and hit you some more, and then keep cycling the puck around in the O zone to grind you down. We did much better job of breaking their cycle game and get the puck out.

6 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

I can't see how they do that. I am not a big Binnington fan but going to Allen in Game 2 would be a big statement by the Blues.

3 goals on 5 shots In the third means it’s time to give Allen a shot.

He was the better goalie during the regular season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

These guys have gone through a lot together as a team....Brock/Duke's deal...Stech and Marky's Dads.  Ferland's situation.   And now..Covid.

I feel like this team is reallllllllly tight.  Not just once they hit the ice...but in a "got your back" off the ice way too.  Quality individuals...integrity is a huge part of this club.

It was interesting how Stech said Bo is a natural leader, more mature than his age and he connects the young guys and the vets 

Edited by nucksnavsfan
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

That's what the best 6 million dollar defensive right winger can do for you :)

But seriously, having Eriksson on his wing has allowed Bo and Pearson to do a bit more offensively. 

Loui had some pretty physical moments on the boards tonight actually, its great to see. Not sure if any of that was listed as a hit or not :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1