The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This kind of reminds me of the Twins during the 2011 and 2012 seasons...

There were a ton of fans and media being critical of them for just taking the punishment and try to make them pay on the PP...

Next year, Hank decides enough is enough and fights back. Those same fans and media (I'm looking at you, Nick Kypreos) are ripping him...."What are you doing? That's not your game!"....:rolleyes:

As far as last night goes, it's pretty simple: Marky outplayed Binnington. Otherwise, there isn't much to separate the two teams.

I think that one thing that was really a factor last night- our speed. Blues simply can't keep up with our speed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It’s what makes the series so intriguing, they have more beef in their lineup but we are faster.  Road runner always wins right?

one thing I’ll say is we need to make sure Schwartz and Tarasenko are absorbing as much punishments as Petey and Hughes.  We have guys capable of making good clean hockey hits against those guys.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Uhhh... a 5-2 win over the defending Cup champs and you're calling for a line blender??? :huh:

And how was that win achieved?

3 PP goals, so different linemates dont affect that dynamic

Horvat, 5 on 5 - and re-read my post ... no suggestion of changing that line

Stecher, 5 on 5, from Pearson and Boeser .... ah yes, do these 2 always play on the same line???????

Other than making either Zack or BB06 play on their off wing, there is no downside to adding him to that line.  It's where a healthy Ferland would play in game 2, but, alas, that's not an option

Edited by Googlie

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As far as last night goes, it's pretty simple: Marky outplayed Binnington. Otherwise, there isn't much to separate the two teams.

Agreed. For the majority of the game, Blues had an edge. But once we went up 4-2 they kind of gave up.

Last year the Blues were a good team with an incredibly red hot goalie. They were dead last in the league until he showed up, so how good could they really be? (Better coaching also played a role.)

But Binnington cooled off considerably during the regular season, and has looked downright awful in the bubble. (No way should an NHL goalie let that Stecher shot in.) Blues don’t have a chance if he continues to play like that. They might have to go to Allen...maybe even next game.

Edited by D-Money

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Agreed. For the majority of the game, Blues had an edge. But once we went up 4-2 they kind of gave up.

Last year the Blues were a good team with an incredibly red hot goalie. They were dead last in the league until he showed up, so how good could they really be? (Better coaching also played a role.)

But Binnington cooled off considerably during the regular season, and has looked downright awful in the bubble. (No way should an NHL goalie let that Stecher shot in.) Blues don’t have a chance if he continues to play like that. They might have to go to Allen...maybe even next game.

That would destroy any confidence the team has in him if the coach pulls him after 1 game lol. They have to give the guy at least the start of the next game. 

22 minutes ago, Googlie said:

No - another concussion for Petey and a broken rib or 2 for Hughes would be "mission accomplished"

Every single team for the rest of their careers will try and rough them up.  

Petey and Quinn are awesome at slipping checks, so it is what it is.  We don't have a guy like Wilson or Reaves on our roster.  

What a game!  Marky was his brick wall self and Bo earning the nickname Captain Clutch!

Blues had good possession and pushed us hard.  They had a lot of cheap shots and I was re-introduced to my hatred for Perron.  Happy Stecher got the GWG as he's elevated his game along with the rest of the team.  Blues are going go come out tough next game but so will we.  Hopefully this is the beginning of a cinderella run.

Also, SUCK IT BINNINGTON!! :towel::towel:

• Vintage 3

28 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Marky has been through too much adversity in his career to not be able to make adjustments. He tightened that short side up real well. Last night was really a great game on all fronts fwds, D, and goalie

Totally agree.  It was just my observation that the Blues seemed to be targeting that side a bit. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We got Ferland for that....poor guy...

Bring Gino back...!!!....he could probably still ragdoll any of the Blues...

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi386fHxpjrAhWJvp4KHYSAC7cQyCkwAHoECAwQBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DON_x-kYrZmY&usg=AOvVaw0BZ3se_rj4RPSYC7W_AXoh

not sure why IPad won’t post the actual video when I copy it.  Anyway Gino takes on the Blues :)  

Edited by sonoman
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

With most people giving the nod to Makar in the reg season,does Hughs blow by him in the calder race with his remarkable play off performance?

Not sure if this was already voted on...should know this stuff but this was a strange year to say the least.  Yes absolutely so far if playoffs/play-ins count id say edge to QHs.    And I’ve been saying Makar all along.  Not anymore - will do my penance - where’s that Church of Virtanen guy when you need him ha ha ...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sassbs said:

I have a feeling JB patients with young jake may be running out.   If he’s not impactful this playoffs.....I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone.   

unfortunately, I don't think JB will be able to get a lot for Virtanen. Hope I'm wrong with that assessment, though. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Watching that game live (on TV) I was actually scared for Anderson and a few other of those guys...  Odjick was one crazy dude.   What scares me about the Blues is Berube was no different - a better fighter too,  and just as willing to take a suspension as anyone in the league during his career if that would help the team.   IF we go up 2-0 ... McEwen better be ready as we will surely need him.   3-0 and I’d consider limiting both EPs and QHs ice time. 

• Cheers 4

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Sad thing is we did acquire that player, but unfortunately his head may have been rattled one too many times. Ferland was looking really good.

Have the feeling the guy's going to be forced to retire.