The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I guess you must've missed Edler wiping him out after that sequence. Hopefully someone has a clip of it somewhere.

I don't think Pettersson is minding that he's drawing this attention as it's opening up his teammates, so as long as they're capitalizing, then Petey will be glad to do what it takes to win. But it is amazing that the refs could see a play like MacEwen throwing a hit possibly fractions of a second late and/or have his hands slightly high (surely the refs would ask Green to pick one) and call it a roughing penalty, meanwhile letting that Perron crap go on Petey and Hughes while standing a few feet away.

I didn't have a lot of beef on the reffing, but that MacEwen penalty was an absolute joke. It's either you call it strict like that all game or don't if it's "playoff hockey". With that said, not sure if now is the time to mess with a winning formula. No need to shake everything up over Perron. We dealt with Hartman's crap, we will just push through Perron's. Roussel will give it right back to them. First one to blink takes the penalty and punish them on the PP.

Edler showed his experience on that play...

His first instinct had to be to cream Perron, (who's actually been this exact type of thorn in the 'Nucks' side for years) but because he was already partially down, it would have been almost impossible to avoid a head shot. Eddie did the best he could have with a pretty touchy situation there....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Did you meditate ten mins and your negative thoughts were still there, so you decided to post?

This team is awesome and we are great fans. Most that fill Rogers in Vancouver are also great. Most are not drunk toxic fans, perhaps you don't know the price of booze in the building?

Anyone who thinks the environment from the home crowd at a Canucks' game is "toxic", should take in a game in Philly, when the Flyers are losing big to the Pens....

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think it's Eriksson.  

Boeser and Toffoli would  re-make up the top 6 RW - Eriksson is the odd man out imo.

To think that the team has the likes of Ferland, Toffoli, Gaudette, Leivo out - and can still win tough playoff games against solid opponents = serious depth.

Hard to take out the likes of Jake and Zack because of their size, but both are playing under 10 minutes a night (under 6 for Zack). LE has been getting minutes, mainly because he's a PKer and that has helped stabilize this area in his return. I rather bump LE's time down by having him on the 4th line, but having him when needed for the PK. So IMO, I rather take out one of Jake or Zack if Toffoli is to return and that's if we aren't messing with a winning lineup. We are simply demonstrating that we can win without Toffoli and have been generating offense still. But yes serious depth indeed when we have a top 6 forward option potentially waiting in the wings.

3 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

I’ve been a harsh critic of Horvat but whatever hes eating KEEP EATING !! He was a beast last night and I couldn’t be happier. The boys came to play !!

Really? :blink:

Of all the players on the Canucks, he should be the last one, with the possible exception of Marky, and Quinn.....:unsure:

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

His first instinct had to be to cream Perron, (who's actually been this exact type of thorn in the 'Nucks' side for years) but because he was already partially down, it would have been almost impossible to avoid a head shot. Eddie did the best he could have with a pretty touchy situation there....

Yes, the fact that he did it rather stealth is where that experience comes in. Could've easily gotten a roughing penalty for retaliating should the ref be looking for it.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To me it has way more of a early 90’s vibe.   The WCE didn’t do much of anything in the playoffs and no matter how dominant they were in the regular season it never translated into the post season (Naslund was also like 27 before he was a top player and managed nothing at 19-22)....  this young core is the ONLY core other then the Linden/Bure/Ronning one that actually won a series at that age.   Sure it was five games but so far both teams haven’t been able to shut done our young core ... and only Linden, Bure and Ronning so far have been able to elevate their play in the post season or at least keep on par.    JT Miller and Pearson are doing their best Courtnall/Adams impressions too.   Ronning was Horvats age and Linden EPs, Bure QHs etc.   In 1999 we were still getting over the Messier stink.  It stunk so bad.  Jovo at least was a young gun with a ton of promise - other then that not much similarities at all. 

I don't think we've ever had the type of Puck moving defenseman like Hughes.  Sure, J.Brown and Ehrhoff were reasonable facsimiles and helped us get to the finals but Quinn is on another level.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, apollo said:

It's amazing what removing a toxic fan base from the arena can do.

No pessimistic toxic drunk fans in the arena to crap on our own team... Guys like Loui and Sutter end up playing their best hockey in years... 

Our time is now. 

If you have something negative to say, maybe meditate 10 minutes every morning until those thoughts are gone. God bless. 

you've got me confused Apollo. The negative 1040/twitter-heads don't show up to games typically (well they do but its usually in their closet Hawks jerseys).

1 hour ago, stawns said:

One more chance?  

Sigh. I really want Jake to break through. So yes, for me, one more chance. 

He'll be 24, turning 25. If he doesn't get it together then, maybe he never will. That's entering into Goldobin territory. 

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? :blink:

Of all the players on the Canucks, he should be the last one, with the possible exception of Marky, and Quinn.....:unsure:

It wasn’t until the game against Boston when Horvat stepped up massively. Before that game he wasnt playing his best hockey. He sort of went through the motions. After that game he became the Captain.

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

On Virtanen:

The league is full of past and current power forwards, who's teams gave up on them too early. The Canucks lost one in Cam Neely and years later the Islanders gave us a gift, when the decided Bertuzzi was never going to become and elite player.

Virt is one of, if not the fastest player on the Canucks and he has a great wrist shot. I think it would be criminal to give up on him now, especially for lousy return.

Yep.   That said we can’t let history affect current events and if a solid hockey trade can be made that improves our team you make it.   The Canucks have been on both sides of the top ten most lopsided trades so there is that too...Stajanov for Naslund.   Naslund went on to get more first team all star selections (3 - a team record to this day) then Stajanov scored goals.   The Linden trade didn’t make the top ten but it should be in the HHOF as far as the best trade that keeps on giving which it still is to this day in Markstrom.   JV is never going to be Neely or Bertuzzi, but he could be a Silverberg or Hansen 2.0 with a little more offense.   That’s the likelihood - time to get over super high expectations with this guy.    Pearson or TT is at best his peak IMO. 

I think that when and if Toffoli is ready to go, he has to draw back in. he was acquired for a reason and playoff hockey is exactly what it was....

It's easy to think that offense isn't an issue after last night's game, but I doubt we can count of poor goaltending from the Blues for the rest of the series. My guess is that Loui probably sits, even though he's quite valuable on the PK. It looks like the Blues have decided to goon it up a bit and I expect the 'Nucks to continue to have the PP advantage as long as that continues.

LE might be a luxury they can't afford, if and when TT is ready to go....

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sour puss.   Have to BELIEVE.   I’m thinking at this point the Blues are now the underdogs.   You may be right.  It comes down to do they go with Allen.   And he’s not great but not bad - could also be ventilated.   Said at the outset the only thing that scares me about the Blues is Allen.  We have Binnington and the Blues number - advantage us.  Yes they are the champs but how many times have we seen the “champs” bow out in the first round since the cap started.   Enough times.   Started with 6 before the series started then got cocky and said 5.   They might play their best game tomorrow who knows.   Said when we lost to MIN in game one that they just played their best game and after that it would be all us.  Despite all the evidence (and yes I get it after watching this team for decades) still fans are hesitant... that’s ok.    I could be wrong but I don’t think I am - Canucks in 5, at most 6. 

Well then there's this:

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-st-louis-blues-game-recap/c-302766462

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I don't think we've ever had the type of Puck moving defenseman like Hughes.  Sure, J.Brown and Ehrhoff were reasonable facsimiles and helped us get to the finals but Quinn is on another level.

Jyrkki Lumme is likely the best we've ever had, but yes, his ceiling is nowhere near where QH's is....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sour puss.   Have to BELIEVE.   I’m thinking at this point the Blues are now the underdogs.   You may be right.  It comes down to do they go with Allen.   And he’s not great but not bad - could also be ventilated.   Said at the outset the only thing that scares me about the Blues is Allen.  We have Binnington and the Blues number - advantage us.  Yes they are the champs but how many times have we seen the “champs” bow out in the first round since the cap started.   Enough times.   Started with 6 before the series started then got cocky and said 5.   They might play their best game tomorrow who knows.   Said when we lost to MIN in game one that they just played their best game and after that it would be all us.  Despite all the evidence (and yes I get it after watching this team for decades) still fans are hesitant... that’s ok.    I could be wrong but I don’t think I am - Canucks in 5, at most 6. 

Haha. Yeah, I want to believe, but it's hard when over the years, been disappointed over and over again. My heart wants the team to win, of course, but my mind says the Blues will eventually win it and take control of the series. This is a young team. 

I think if the Blues play their best game tomorrow, and they still lose to us, then they've got a problem. Might get into their heads a little bit "We played our best game, and we still lost. What else can we do to beat these guys??" I mean, if that's what they're thinking inside their heads, then that's to our advantage. 

Yeah, I am a little hesitant, but I do want the team to win. I hope your right! Canucks in five would be frickin awesome. Canucks in six would still be awesome. It'd just be awesome if they could somehow win this series against the defending Stanley Cup. 

I mean, if they could beat the Cup champions, who knows how much confidence that could give a young team like this. Dethrone the Champions? At that point, anything's possible! 

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://streamable.com/i4ifb2#

Eddie crushes Perron.  Much satisfying.

• Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

I’ve been a harsh critic of Horvat but whatever hes eating KEEP EATING !! He was a beast last night and I couldn’t be happier. The boys came to play !!

Horvat's been a beauty. He was clutch back in junior, and I didn't know if it would translate into the NHL. But apparently, it has. He's Captain Clutch. Coming through at the most important and most critical moments of hockey. Canucks are lucky to have Bo as captain, and he was exposed and mentored by one of the best in Hank.