The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think he was a bit lucky to avoid a penalty on that play. He did a good job of selling it as a collision....

I think that non-call was a big part of the reason that AP and the rest of the Blues were so salty about the late Interference call. It was an obvious penalty, but he has to believe the zebras didn't give him the same leeway they gave Eddie...

I think it was more tit for tat that Edler didnt get a call on that play.  Perron went after Petey which could have been interference/roughing then Edler takes out Perron. If they call Edler on the penalty then they would have to call the Perron one.  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

those guys don't stop it from happening, they just punish guys who do it and that's a thing of the past.  Those guys are pretty much useless now.  Guys like Petey and Hughes just have to figure out how to deal with it.........and they've got it pretty easy compared to stars from the past.

You really believe that Semenko wasn't a factor in Gretzky not getting beat on.  How about Odjick and Bure?  The game hasn't changed that much.  Maybe it should and maybe the referees should call blatant attempts to rough up the stars more often but as we saw last night and time and time again before that, it just doesn't happen (at least for the Canucks) so we still need an enforcer or two.  We need guys that can skate and actually play hockey too, that's why Ferland was such a good choice, but all I'm really saying is that if he can't continue we still need a guy like that (or two or three).  Go Canucks Go!

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

yup for sure. 

I don't think we'll see Fantenberg removed either, he's playing so well right now, unless he's got a nagging injury i think Benn will sit. 

I agree, Fantenberg was steady last night. No reason to pull him from the lineup, unless like you said he has an injury. Also a nice luxury to have that we could potentially keep bodies healthy for the long run by having quality depth that could step in.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, nux_win said:

You really believe that Semenko wasn't a factor in Gretzky not getting beat on.  How about Odjick and Bure?  The game hasn't changed that much.  Maybe it should and maybe the referees should call blatant attempts to rough up the stars more often but as we saw last night and time and time again before that, it just doesn't happen (at least for the Canucks) so we still need an enforcer or two.  We need guys that can skate and actually play hockey too, that's why Ferland was such a good choice, but all I'm really saying is that if he can't continue we still need a guy like that (or two or three).  Go Canucks Go!

you don't think Gretzky was punished?  He was brutally punished, probably worse than any player in the history of the league

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

his line dominated the play 5v5 when they were on the ice......per old news stats.  That's the problem with many posters here, not much in game experience and if it isn't glaringlyobvious and flashy it didn't happen.

He played 9:26 the whole game. 10th most among-st forward. 1 hit. Not much happened.

For a guy who scored at his pace, with his speed & physical ability, he wasn't close to the impact he's capable of bringing. 

1 minute ago, nux_win said:

It's changed hugely. Guys like Gino and Semenko don't make it unless they can play. Ryan Reeves is the closest thing currently playing in the league, but he's a better player than either Gino or DS.

What teams are looking for now is guys like Tom Wilson, but they're hard to find.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

He played 9:26 the whole game. 10th most among-st forward. 1 hit. Not much happened.

For a guy who scored at his pace, with his speed & physical ability, he wasn't close to the impact he's capable of bringing. 

they were used in a shutdown role, with promarily defensive zone starts.  Hard to produce with 9:26 of ice,most of which starts in your own end.  Defensive play wins championships, not offense

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

he was on pace for 23-25 goals and has improved every year.  What is is you want him to break out from, exactly?

Sorry. Breakout is probably the wrong word. I want him to be more consistent and more dedicated to his craft. 

Showing up at training camp not ready to go is concerning for me, and I don't think I'm alone in my concern. 

Statistically, he has been making improvements every year, that is true, which is why I don't want management to get rid of him. 

40 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Anyone who thinks the environment from the home crowd at a Canucks' game is "toxic", should take in a game in Philly, when the Flyers are losing big to the Pens....

that doesn't make the canuck fanbase less toxic

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Need the lotto line to be better 5 on 5. I thought Horvat's line was really good, but ROR is such a challenge for Petey & co. You just can't move that guy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but St Louis was technically the home team and had last change?  Hopefully by game 3, we can get our top line away from their top checking line.  In the mean time, if we can win without being able to match lines to our advantage, that's a bonus.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

they were used in a shutdown role, with promarily defensive zone starts.  Hard to produce with 9:26 of ice,most of which starts in your own end.  Defensive play wins championships, not offense

Roussel played less time and was more effective. Both in advanced stats and actually making things happen on the ice.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=3&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&team=VAN&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=gpteam&fd=&td=&tgp=1&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

The Canucks need Jake's speed & physicality now more than they ever have. I'm not looking for him to get a hattrick, I'm looking for him to use those physical tools to get more involved when he can. This STL team is bullying us along the boards & he's capable of doing more than staying above water defensively on a 4th line. 

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

you don't think Gretzky was punished?  He was brutally punished, probably worse than any player in the history of the league

not just gretzky. Look at Crosby...they have tried to take his head off more than once.. Kid had to take a year off.  Lindros...career ended.....lots of high profile stars have had targets on their backs.

what i would like to see from the canucks is one or two more nasty sobs that will be the punishers.  When our kids start to get hammered we need a couple guys that will do the same to the other team.

For some young players, like Juolevi for example, not being noticed all game is a good thing. It means he's quietly doing his job, not making any glaring mistakes, gettin' it done without any flash.

In Jake's case though, not being noticed is a bad thing. He's invisible when he's out there, when he's given some ice time. For crying out loud Jake, at least pretend you're into it. 

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but St Louis was technically the home team and had last change?  Hopefully by game 3, we can get our top line away from their top checking line.  In the mean time, if we can win without being able to match lines to our advantage, that's a bonus.

I think you are correct.

We're definitely going to have to try to use that matchup. ROR is such a horse & the guys they put with him just suffocate you along the boards.

The lotto line has to try and play with as much as speed as they can (both skating + puck movement), hopefully they can move faster than the Blues or atleast draw PP's. Its only the first game I'm sure they'll figure out how they can try to overcome this.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's changed hugely. Guys like Gino and Semenko don't make it unless they can play. Ryan Reeves is the closest thing currently playing in the league, but he's a better player than either Gino or DS.

What teams are looking for now is guys like Tom Wilson, but they're hard to find.

8 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I guess you didn't bother reading the second half of my post.  That's OK, but you're actually agreeing with me when you seem to be wanting to disagree.  Whatever.  Go Canucks Go!

P.S. - What I would really like to see is the referees having more respect for player safety but that just isn't happening and isn't part of the culture so we need to protect our own a little better.