The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Big Mac has been really good in his (albeit limited) role.

Idk if he's been amazing, but he's definitely been better than Virtanen so I don't see a reason to sit him out for Virtanen. JV just needs to take the bull by the horns which he hasn't tried to do yet, whereas MacEwen is trying to make things happen on the ice. Crazy as it is to say, I'd keep Eriksson in over either one of those guys right now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sigh. I really want Jake to break through. So yes, for me, one more chance. 

He'll be 24, turning 25. If he doesn't get it together then, maybe he never will. That's entering into Goldobin territory. 

Goldobin never figured out the NHL level - JV did.  He’s already far surpassed what Goldobin and even Bear will ever accomplish in the NHL.   People here love Hansen ... he’s really not much different..already matched Hansen’s best year.   Nothing wrong with a career middle six player as long as the cap makes sense - and so far on that front absolute aces - McJesus would have to score 300 points to make the two comparable ... points per dollar ... one year deal one million more show me deal.  Maybe his career is over after that (doubt it )....JVs got the chops for a 10-12 year career - he’s barely started IMO.

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm honestly a bit surprised at all the "bust" talk about JV....

In the regular season, he was 7th in points, 5th in goals, but 11th in TOI.

..... and you get one guess who led the team in GWG this season....

Can't say I've been hearing too much "bust" talk lately. In fact, it's gone the other way IMO where many are suggesting he's been one of the major turnarounds on the team for the playoffs and how it's been a travesty to have him out of the lineup in game 1 against Minni.

I think the potential is there for Jake to be majorly impactful in a game or series. I just don't think he has shown it yet in the playoffs thus far. Jake is playing a safe game so far and fair enough considering Green has had to rein him in, but I think there's more to him to offer that could have him stand out more.

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

Idk if he's been amazing, but he's definitely been better than Virtanen so I don't see a reason to sit him out for Virtanen. JV just needs to take the bull by the horns which he hasn't tried to do yet, whereas MacEwen is trying to make things happen on the ice. Crazy as it is to say, I'd keep Eriksson in over either one of those guys right now.

Definitely. I think Mac has tried to take the bull by the horns. Its going to be hard for him to be "amazing" but he's using his size & being a physical presence. (Unlike Jake) We need that badly in this series. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Roussel played less time and was more effective. Both in advanced stats and actually making things happen on the ice.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=3&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&team=VAN&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=gpteam&fd=&td=&tgp=1&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

The Canucks need Jake's speed & physicality now more than they ever have. I'm not looking for him to get a hattrick, I'm looking for him to use those physical tools to get more involved when he can. This STL team is bullying us along the boards & he's capable of doing more than staying above water defensively on a 4th line. 

Yep.  Don't need him to be on the score sheet night in and out.  Do need him to provide energy.  To have the Blues players looking behind their backs all the time.  Putting them off their game.  We need every little edge we can get.  This is playoff hockey.  A key hit at the right moment can turn the game around.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

ive seen some sit jakes no, trades though?, also only had what 10 mins tonight, i think, i'd say give him another game he needs too be more physical and more involved next game imo.

This one was on the same page. He had more minutes than Rooster and Zack. I see him trying to be disciplined and putting positioning over hits. If anything, he needs to find the balance.

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

JB has said he wants to get back the 2nd round pick he traded in this year's draft, and I think Jake will be his best asset for doing that.

To me, the Jake hate is proof that even when we win certain posters need something to whine about!

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

It’s not crazy at all and every stat backs it up and so does the eye test.   LE is a wily vet that this fan base pounded on...watching Ryan from OTT come back and witnessing live the appreciation for him made me sad for how bad LEs been received.   Both deals were bad cap wise.   One fan base still loves their guy the other has been - well let’s just say immature.   And brutal.   Only Messier IMO has been picked on as much.    No cap we’d love to have this guy....same as Sutter.   Anyways let’s see how the next few games go.  JV has a pretty sweet opportunity which he keeps screwing up as far as depth charts go.   If he can’t make it so be it.  He will definitely be career bottom six at worst.   And play 5-7 years which is not at all bust territory - fans need to let that go. 

Edit:  LE’s career vs say Kesler’s.   As far as stats go I won’t look them up but bet they are pretty close ...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Can't say I've been hearing too much "bust" talk lately. In fact, it's gone the other way IMO where many are suggesting he's been one of the major turnarounds on the team for the playoffs and how it's been a travesty to have him out of the lineup in game 1 against Minni.

I think the potential is there for Jake to be majorly impactful in a game or series. I just don't think he has shown it yet in the playoffs thus far. Jake is playing a safe game so far and fair enough considering Green has had to rein him in, but I think there's more to him to offer that could have him stand out more.

Really? Have you been reading this thread? :huh:

12 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Dunn tried that and got walked. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

This one was on the same page. He had more minutes than Rooster and Zack. I see him trying to be disciplined and putting positioning over hits. If anything, he needs to find the balance.

To me, the Jake hate is proof that even when we win certain posters need something to whine about!

We aren't happy with just one win.  We want more.  In order to do that we need everyone on board and engaged.  I know Jake has it in him.  We want to see more from him.  I don't think that is hate or Whining.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? Have you been reading this thread? :huh:

There's inklings, but not to the level as it's once was. I see more people having more expectations of him because of the stats that you had pulled up earlier. He hasn't been that regular season guy so far in the playoffs I have to say.

My frustration with Jake is this:

I know that he can hold his own defensively, and use his speed to break up plays and take away the puck.  I dont think anyone is arguing that.

St Louis plays a "heavy game", trying to inflict as much punishment as possible on the forecheck .  That kind of punishment can turn a series around.  Jake is one of the few guys on the team that can inflict similar punishment but for whatever reason he doesnt play that way.   He is a freight train on skates but it seems like a guy like Motte will throw his body around more even though he is much smaller and lighter.  If Jake played that way he could be so much more effective - he would probably draw retaliation penalties and he would wear some of those guys down.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That type of player needs to be acquired

You know, I was all for trading Loui for Lucic...  but of course that idea was jinxed by Loui.  

It's really hard to find a guy that can skate and play that role.  Reaves only has a couple of years left in him, Wilson wouldn't be let go by Washington, and after seeing Guddy being that guy, I never want to have a d-man be our enforcer again.  

Yakov Trenin is looking good out there, but pretty unlikely that Nashville lets a 23 year old forward go. I just don't see many good tough forwards that can skate a regular shift.

Does anyone else think playing in Edmonton is an advantage for the Canucks and Flames? Both teams have had a fair amount of success in Rogers Place, and since there's no fans they can focus on their game. I feel like that building might be cursed for the Oilers, they have to watch two teams duke it out on their home ice for Lord Stanley's cup. 

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sigh. I really want Jake to break through. So yes, for me, one more chance. 

He'll be 24, turning 25. If he doesn't get it together then, maybe he never will. That's entering into Goldobin territory. 

Jake may never play like folks expect a 5th overall draft pick should, but comparing him to a player that couldn't make it to the NHL is unfair.

Goldy never became an NHL player because he couldn't learn to play the complete game.  Virt has shown improvement in his game each season so far.  He now can play on a checking line or a scoring line, which makes him an asset to the team.

I think a lot of people, including myself, wondered if Vancouver made a pretty big mistake trading Corey Schneider for the draft pick that took Bo Horvat. That move looks better and better all the time. He could be the team’s next Trevor Linden :)

12 minutes ago, Darius said:

My frustration with Jake is this:

I know that he can hold his own defensively, and use his speed to break up plays and take away the puck.  I dont think anyone is arguing that.

St Louis plays a "heavy game", trying to inflict as much punishment as possible on the forecheck .  That kind of punishment can turn a series around.  Jake is one of the few guys on the team that can inflict similar punishment but for whatever reason he doesnt play that way.   He is a freight train on skates but it seems like a guy like Motte will throw his body around more even though he is much smaller and lighter.  If Jake played that way he could be so much more effective - he would probably draw retaliation penalties and he would wear some of those guys down.

Totally. I hope he is not being timid from being afraid of getting hurt .. hopefully it is just over thinking his positioning. he did look a bit lackadaisical last game i was yelling at my tv for Jake to move his feet