Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think you missed my point. Lumme was the best we've seen prior to Hughes....

Ha ha thanks for clarifying. Yes i cant believe we drafted him 7th

49 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

So this is what the coach is focusing on. Good positional play with defensive awareness. I already cited an example of Jake doing just that.

You pretty much proved my point about expectations. The all accounts bit is excluding the posters who saw him play a good positional game. Yes we want more physicality from him, but judging him on one game based on expectations is unfair. He was engaged, just not in the way you demand. It sounds like Green wanted good defensive awareness against the reigning Champs.

Lacklustre kind of shows your bias. He did what the coach wanted otherwise Zack would have gotten those extra minutes.

I think you are really going out of your way to defend him.  Don't accuse me of any bias towards any player.  If Pettersson goes through the motions and looks disinterested, I will comment on that as well.  Again he is not paid to be a passenger on this team.  The fact that he is not a defensive liability is a moot point.  He needs to get more physical and I am hoping he does that next game because given all the crap that his teammates are getting, we really need it.  Don't get your panties in a bunch.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think you missed my point. Lumme was the best we've seen prior to Hughes....

Lumme was a great guy and solid all around defenseman  for the Canucks for quite a few years.

Hence his nickname Beef Jyriki.

54 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

People need to get over his draft placement. If he was picked in the second or third round no one would be losing their $&!#. 

This is true. If Jake was picked in the 2nd or 3rd round, nothing would seem out of place. But Jake was picked 6th overall, out of everyone, like there were only 5 guys better.

I don't think it was necessarily a bad pick for Benning, but more that Jake hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain. He could be a top player if he really applied himself, but instead has difficulty keeping a spot in the lineup. I like Jake, I have his jersey. I know he can do better.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

you don't think Gretzky was punished?  He was brutally punished, probably worse than any player in the history of the league

hey living in Edmonton can't be that bad, can it? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Lumme was a great guy and solid all around defenseman  for the Canucks for quite a few years.

I'm going to steal that for my next user name. 

15 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I think you are really going out of your way to defend him.  Don't accuse me of any bias towards any player.  If Pettersson goes through the motions and looks disinterested, I will comment on that as well.  Again he is not paid to be a passenger on this team.  The fact that he is not a defensive liability is a moot point.  He needs to get more physical and I am hoping he does that next game because given all the crap that his teammates are getting, we really need it. 

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I guess the CDC discussion bit was just for the haters? He wasn't a passenger. That's just opinion based on lack of hitting. It was his first playoff game against the Champs and I think that now that he has that under his belt, he will step up his intensity. We won remember?

That last childish and insulting  bit applies more to you than it does to me. I haven't resorted to immature rhetoric and hyperbole.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I remember one of the NHL Awards shows doing a comedy bit and were mixing up players names with pretend products.

I laughed for ages when a mock can of soup popped up on the screen, from what I recall... 'Campbell's Turkey Lumme Soup' 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Great post Spook.   Think McEwen is now the best deterrent we have - if he’s willing to take a suspension to send a message is another thing altogether.  At least we have Captain America on their wing ... 

1st Line

C Elias Pettersson

on his wings Brock Boeser 

and on his other wing....

999098.jpg

The cup is ours.....

Edited by spook007

7 hours ago, rychicken said:

of course he is....at least two more weeks of answering questions from our media :)

And getting to have a better card in your hand when your playing a high stakes game of keeping your job... And that card isn't a Ace but a high face card..

doesn't mean you win the biggest pot but your chances just got that much better

8 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I guess the CDC discussion bit was just for the haters? He wasn't a passenger. That's just opinion based on lack of hitting. It was his first playoff game against the Champs and I think that now that he has that under his belt, he will step up his intensity. We won remember?

That last childish and insulting  bit applies more to you than it does to me. I haven't resorted to immature rhetoric and hyperbole.

it was the whole teams first playoff game against the champions, and and i think 13 of our players have never been in the playoffs, but they all stepped up, and i am sorry if i ruffle some feathers here, but Jake did not step up. he needs to be a whole lot better, he has shown it before. last night i saw him standing still watching the play and not becoming engaged. 

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

1st Line

C Elias Pettersson

on his wings Brock Boeser 

and on his other wing....

999098.jpg

The cup is ours.....

But.. but..  we lost a pick..  LMAO! Omg I still laugh at that since I first heard about folks whining about it, but they just HAD to listen to the media didn't they? 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm wondering if the refs now decide to put the whistles away seeing how the canucks are taking advantage of the powerplays. 

I can picture this turning into Bruins series 2.0 where we go from lots of calls to none and the game slows down with the Blues clutching and grabbing... That's the only way they'll keep up

This. I afraid , it will happen, probably if Canucks wins game 2

Just now, iceman64 said:

But.. but..  we lost a pick..  LMAO! Omg I still laugh at that since I first heard about folks whining about it, but they just HAD to listen to the media didn't they? 

I remember the day clearly... 

Was sitting following the draft in the car, while waiting for the wife shopping. The response to the trade was anywhere from really happy to totally suicidal... Personally I wasn't too sure, as I didn't know enough about Miller, however trusted JB to do the right thing.... man did he ever... that trade will go down in history, as the one that changed the Canucks from being a rebuilding team to a play offs team and maybe even a proper contender...

One thing is for certain. If Benning wanted a role model for EP, he couldn't have chosen much better with the money available... super show by Benning... and haters eat $&!#

11 minutes ago, bree2 said:

it was the whole teams first playoff game against the champions, and and i think 13 of our players have never been in the playoffs, but they all stepped up, and i am sorry if i ruffle some feathers here, but Jake did not step up. he needs to be a whole lot better, he has shown it before. last night i saw him standing still watching the play and not becoming engaged. 

He played a good positional game.  He just needs to hit more but not at the expense of defensive team structure.

Also, with the penalties being called, I think several of our players toned it down a bit. Many of us in the game day thread were wondering what the standard was for penalties. I'm sure some Canucks players were as well. Playing disciplined seemed to stifle his physicality somewhat but that doesn't make him a passenger.

Engaged? That one is being thrown around a lot.

I'm in one part of the UK...wife is in another so recorded the game for her and at the hotel I'm on NHL TV. We have followed the team since 2012 and we have just stayed off social media and speaking with friends all day to watch the game tonight due to time difference. My wife just been on WhatsApp shouting suck it Blues, get in !!! LOL. She is geared up for this series and god we love Stanley cup baby!!! proper hockey!

a great game by the team, had to suck up the pressure at times but the game is about momentum and we just have to capitalise when we can. A team game tonight and we love the vibe coming out from our team. All played strong and captain Bo was awesome. Friday game 2 11.30pm in UK so we will be up to watch LIVE! 

Go Canucks keep the roll going. Good night all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Really thought McEwen was engaged and even dangerous every shift - his roughing call was also total BS barely finished his check and so much other garbage was happening it was the stupidest call of the game.   He had their best line hemmed down to the point they drew a penalty... McEwen was more noticeable then JV, and that’s ok - he definitely knows which side his bread is buttered on and is an absolute must as a deterrent against a team like St Louis and MIN for that matter.   McEwen definitely made the most of his minutes.

Agree that JV didn’t play much - and he also agree (if that’s what your saying) that JV was “invisible “ in a good way. 

Don’t see any purpose in criticizing a win like that.   We allowed one breakaway to one of the fastest players in the game - and they capatilzed.    No complaints here at all. 

It was such a BS call... absolute rubbish... There were a few calls that were soft bearing in mind what was going on at times, but the MacEwen pen was shocking...

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. When you have a guy taking runs at your stars, going after him directly is just playing into his hands....it's exactly what the Canucks did when Ferland was on the Flames....they let him get into their heads.

The best thing to do is make sure the Blues offensive guys get the same treatment that Petey and Quinn get.

Marchand 2.0 :angry:

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Rooster seems like the ideal candidate for a gonad spearing. 

Turn about is definitely fair play.

• Hydration 1

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

Only because Sutter was a beast and Roussel was a pest.

Jake was a water lily drifting on the pond

Jake needs a push and if he slacks out there, he'll hear about it and he needs it, some people just do. Hard habits die hard but I trust in our vets to take care of it.. if not.. well TG or JB will.. 

Being a good team isn't always about pucks in the net, everyone does their job... Simple but not always attainable, the Rangers of old were a prime example of that, spoiled prima donna's instead of how NJ took the cup by simply outworking every team..