Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I've always thought it was a confidence thing. You see him double clutching out there. He needs a coach to not throw him under the bus twice a season, and to just be able to play. If he can't do it after that, then I will change my opinion.

I agree with that. It seems like he was given a short leash since he got here. I think he was playing his game in his rookie season but a few mistakes here and there and that suspension, has made him question whether he can really hit someone or not. And the times he went on a streak this season, he was, guess what, playing alongside Bo on Bo's line and besides Petey and Miller on their line. No, i'm not saying we should do that now but we all knew he was not a player who will make other player's good, he is just those players that feeds off other people's talent. I think his worse showings so far has been being on the 3rd and 4th lines as he is definitely not a grinder type of player.

For the last 24 hours I've heard the media gushing over game 1 and hearing how good the Canucks were and how they had a dominating performance (though Patrick Johnston stands out as a realist).  People are so excited after 1 win.  Not to sound glass half empty, but this was not a blowout other than the scoresheet.  The Canucks got hammered with hits and were outshot 31-22 despite having 3 more penalties to St. Louis.  Lots of these St. Louis shots were high quality.  The realist in me says that game 1 was awesome in terms of seeing this young team hanging in there and taking advantage of their opportunities against a very good team.  They didn't back down and they played well as a team overall.  However, St. Louis looked dominant at times and will be tough to beat in this series still.  It will all come down to 2 things for the Canucks I think......goaltending and penalties (i.e. will the refs let St. Louis mug them or not).  Our team has it in them to win but it's still an uphill battle if St. Louis gets better goaltending.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

For the last 24 hours I've heard the media gushing over game 1 and hearing how good the Canucks were and how they had a dominating performance (though Patrick Johnston stands out as a realist).  People are so excited after 1 win.  Not to sound glass half empty, but this was not a blowout other than the scoresheet.  The Canucks got hammered with hits and were outshot 31-22 despite having 3 more penalties to St. Louis.  Lots of these St. Louis shots were high quality.  The realist in me says that game 1 was awesome in terms of seeing this young team hanging in there and taking advantage of their opportunities against a very good team.  They didn't back down and they played well as a team overall.  However, St. Louis looked dominant at times and will be tough to beat in this series still.  It will all come down to 2 things for the Canucks I think......goaltending and penalties (i.e. will the refs let St. Louis mug them or not).  Our team has it in them to win but it's still an uphill battle if St. Louis gets better goaltending.

Great points. How quickly will the media and fans turn if St Louis comes out flying tonight (which they will) and Canucks dont match the intensity and lose? I mean many even turned on Marky in round 1 and thought we should switch to Demko. I think it comes down to goaltending. If we get last game Markstrom, we win. If we get game 4 Markstrom from last series, we lose. 

7 hours ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I don't think its complaining. I think we all have really high expectations for JV..

JV was drafted high as a power forward . So play like one. Run someone over get involved. Take a run at PERRON show him what can happen to him if he keeps targeting our stars. 

• Hydration 1

6 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

A more realistic view is checking the Blues ozone TOI. They had many dominating shifts. That is not to say that Green cannot make adjustments. The Blues will also. I think they come even harder tonight. Targets being Hughes and EP40. More scrums and physicality. IMHO it is a no lose situation for the Canucks. The kids will be exposed to hardcore CUP play win or lose. Time for Jake to have one of his games! 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

JV was drafted high as a power forward . So play like one. Run someone over get involved. Take a run at PERRON show him what can happen to him if he keeps targeting our stars. 

Don't think he's on the ice long enough to see Perron lol. 

Bring on the best that the Blues have...great measuring stick for the Canucks.  We either match and win, or we better understand what the flaws are on our team construct, the kids learn firsthand how hard playoff hockey is and the coach has lessons for future.  

Our Lotto line might be shut down, time and space perhaps for the rest?  If Marky has another Brick Wall game, we stand a chance.  

JV?  He can contribute in different ways, play a heavier game and make it hard on the opposition.  Forecheck relentlessly, make them cough up the puck, force faceoffs in the offensive zone.  Up to him.  Many players have had to completely change their game from Junior to the Pro's in order to stay in the game.  I think he can be an NHL player as long as he wants, the question will be whether he plays to what we see as his potential or not.  It might be considered "gut check" time for him, playoffs are a different beast and everyone on the team needs to find a way to contribute.  If there is a more effective choice sitting on the sidelines, they are in and you are out.  Time now to demonstrate that all the time the coaches spent with you during the season reviewing video has paid off.  

8 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

I agree with that. It seems like he was given a short leash since he got here. I think he was playing his game in his rookie season but a few mistakes here and there and that suspension, has made him question whether he can really hit someone or not. And the times he went on a streak this season, he was, guess what, playing alongside Bo on Bo's line and besides Petey and Miller on their line. No, i'm not saying we should do that now but we all knew he was not a player who will make other player's good, he is just those players that feeds off other people's talent. I think his worse showings so far has been being on the 3rd and 4th lines as he is definitely not a grinder type of player.

I think he looked awesome with Gaud and Rousell also.

Optimist might say if our forward lines have more to give than game 1 and we are the ones leading the series that’s a great spot to be and build off of from game 1 to game 2

10 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I’m not inside jakes head so no idea/ I’m just speculating based on a scout report.

it could be the system he is playing, the ability to read the play and be in the right position, it could be set play moves, etc who knows

ah I see. yeah, I think anything we do on these boards is mostly speculation, but that's part of the fun :P

18 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Today yes. He’s due to have a big game. 

I hope so too. 

Want to see Jake break out with some physical big hits on those Blues players, and maybe score a goal :D

37 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I think he looked awesome with Gaud and Rousell also.

They're not changing the lineup tonight, unfortunately. 

Not until they lose. It could be tonight, but I hope not. 

Weird. Since Ericksson has been in the line up, the Canucks haven't lost, with the exception of Game 1 against Minny - and I'm not sure if he wasn't in the line up then. 

But I think Gaudette works better with Virtanen than Sutter unfortunately. Jake's going to have to adapt. Hoping for a huge game from him tonight. 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Weird. Since Ericksson has been in the line up, the Canucks haven't lost, with the exception of Game 1 against Minny - and I'm not sure if he wasn't in the line up then. 

He was not. ;)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Didn’t click that lol - boo Coventry :p 

Panthers here but spent time in Newcastle and watched a lot of vipers games 

Yes we can’t be friends lol, team Hollywood lol. 

We have a common interest in hockey and Canucks so uk Canucks stand together 

let’s make this 2 0. We will be up watching LIVE! And speaking to our friend in Vancouver. 

• Hydration 1

19 hours ago, spook007 said:

Aye Cheers UK96. 
You may as well make the best out of a bad situation. In these uncertain times, its a welcome distraction to watch the Canucks despite the time difgerence. 
Hope you’ll be back full time soon though. 

Stand together UK96 & spook007. Easy time this evening so hope you both are watching. 

Sorry to to hear about your Furlough challenge. Use this excitement as a welcome to a crap situation since March. 

• Hydration 1

18 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Great points. How quickly will the media and fans turn if St Louis comes out flying tonight (which they will) and Canucks dont match the intensity and lose? I mean many even turned on Marky in round 1 and thought we should switch to Demko. I think it comes down to goaltending. If we get last game Markstrom, we win. If we get game 4 Markstrom from last series, we lose. 

Agree! 

16 hours ago, Boudrias said:

A more realistic view is checking the Blues ozone TOI. They had many dominating shifts. That is not to say that Green cannot make adjustments. The Blues will also. I think they come even harder tonight. Targets being Hughes and EP40. More scrums and physicality. IMHO it is a no lose situation for the Canucks. The kids will be exposed to hardcore CUP play win or lose. Time for Jake to have one of his games! 

Didn't need to check the stat on this, but you're right.  Tonight the Canucks looked like the dominant team at times, especially in the first half.  The lack of calls to St. Louis was puzzling though and I thought that the Blues fed off of the fact that they could seem to get away with so many cross-checks away from the play, etc.  So fantastic to see this young team suck it up and finish the job.  They stood up for themselves but didn't try to out-muck a muckier team.  

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Didn't need to check the stat on this, but you're right.  Tonight the Canucks looked like the dominant team at times, especially in the first half.  The lack of calls to St. Louis was puzzling though and I thought that the Blues fed off of the fact that they could seem to get away with so many cross-checks away from the play, etc.  So fantastic to see this young team suck it up and finish the job.  They stood up for themselves but didn't try to out-muck a muckier team.  

Yah. What's encouraging is that the Canucks are playing their game. And they seem to be dictating play on the ice. I mean, Bo's leading the way - and it's been so awesome to see. The rest of the team definitely following him. Was disheartening to see the Blues tie the game with less than 6 seconds to go, but I'm glad that they were able to pull out the win, with - yep - Horvat leading the way. Fantastic stretch pass from Hughes off the boards. 

This team, as young and "inexperienced" as they are - man, they're playing such an impressive way. Lots of resolve and push back against none other the defending Cup Champions. 

Could this be our year???

5 on 5 the Canucks have had some good moments for sure. The Blues are definitely slower with the exception of a couple players. If we keep scoring first the Blues are in trouble. They cant put enough constant pressure on to climb back. They dont have an answer for the speed of Horvat. If they keep focusing on Petey, Bo will eat them alive.

Petey , Pearson, Miller, Hughes, Marky, Tanev, all playing extremely well.

Boeser needs to get back on track. stop trying to do too much, simplify it and it will come.

Edler.... I rag Edler often and I was pissed at the giveaway for the Blais goal. I know he got high-sticked before that but you cant throw the puck into the middle in your own end.BUT  having said all that he has been playing well , eating big minutes, he might have to eat a lot more if Myers cant go.

Motte is quietly having a very very good series. Smallest player on the team with 7 shot blocks. These are the types of players you need to win a series.  14 more wins to go boys.