The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues | August 16th, 2020 | 7:30pm PT, SNP | R1G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

I'm starting to suspect that the refs are trying to allocate penalties based on impact on the score. Our PP is really clicking, St. Louis's is decent but not as good. The refs are trying to take the effictiveness of special teams out of the series and award GOALS, not penalties for infractions. If Vancouver is scoring on 1 out of every 2 or 3 PPs while St. Louis is scoring on 1 out of every 4 or 5, the refs will try to give us 50 to 75% of the pp time they give the Blues. 

lol I don't think they are smart enough to do that calculation.

"Oh geez, Canucks are clicking at 50% rate and Blues at 10%......... Vancouver penalty for standing close to the boards."

3 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

And then asses the following day but with the view of pogo nag marky on both nights. 

As Henry Higgins asked, "Why can't the English speak English?" 

JK UKNuck, you've provided some very good content lately with your comments on the officiating etc, "Cheers".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

Auto predict/correct and phone on 1% makes for an interesting combo of words 

Yeah - I've given up on Speech to Text as at times absolute gibberish comes out.  I mean, I know the Scottish accent is hard, but come on, Google

4 minutes ago, drdeath said:

To get everyone fired up for our first official home playoff game in 5 years here’s a video I shot of the 2011 Stanley Cup intro with no crowd in the stands. 

Go Canucks go!

Brought back so many memories... can’t wait for this group to cash in 16 total wins in a post season! :towel:

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

As Henry Higgins asked, "Why can't the English speak English?" 

JK UKNuck, you've provided some very good content lately with your comments on the officiating etc, "Cheers".

Yeah phone was on 1% by time I got the charger in people had already quoted!

The irony is at work I do a lot of proof checking and am $&!# hot. On my own writing I’m bloody useless 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Someone (forget who, and too lazy to look) postulated that if we play Marky tonight, and lose, we have a tired Marky tomorrow, with a crucial game (3-1 or 2-2).  If we play Demko tonite (who has a great record vs Blues - 2 wins and an O/T loss) we have the best of both worlds.  Maybe win, or even lose, and a fresh Marky for game 4

This makes perfect sense to me.

This playoffs is unlike other seasons with more games and with back to back playoff games; it makes sense to use the backup goalie in a strategic manner. Putting Demko in for game 3 against Allen and resting Marky for crucial game 4 is exactly that moment.

But I doubt Green does that; Markstrom is on a 5 game winning streak.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Roberts said:

I think Jordie Benn is the perfect replacement for Myers. Looking forward to seeing him play, assuming Myers is unavailable.

Me too.   He’s going to be fresh - mean and mad.   Plus he’s got the beard down for sure ha ha 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

This makes perfect sense to me.

This playoffs is unlike other seasons with more games and with back to back playoff games; it makes sense to use the backup goalie in a strategic manner. Putting Demko in for game 3 against Allen and resting Marky for crucial game 4 is exactly that moment.

But I doubt Green does that; Markstrom is on a 5 game winning streak.

If it was a game 4 and at 2-2 Or if the series was currently 1-1, I could see the logic. But at 2-0 up you’ve got to ride the hot goalie and look to see it out as quick as you can with the hope you get the rest by closing out a series. 

• Cheers 1

I would have to think the pp’s awarded this game will be even or in the Canucks favour.

There had to be video evidence submitted of the 2 non call hits from behind I’m sure. 

The league is aware and should at least call it even for tonight. 

Right?  

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Me too.   He’s going to be fresh - mean and mad.   Plus he’s got the beard down for sure ha ha 

Yeah hope he comes out mean! Would rather Benn than OJ as we cannot afford to shelter him without Myers in there to eat up the time to protect OJ. 

rafferty coming in for me is a no no. We need someone who can fill Myers defensive duties first not additional offensive Minded Ds (although Myers transitional play and outlet passing has been good)

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I tried to find Marky's stats on back to back games, but no luck so far

Did a manual search.  There were 2 back to back games in November.  Marky started game 1, and Demko the next night in both.  No others in the shortened season.

The most recent back to back start for Marky was Aug 6/7 vs the Wild. I seem to remember he was shaky in that second start. I hope we start Marky tonight and put the stranglehold on the series. Then, it won't matter who starts tomorrow.

Tonight TG has a huge decision to make with his starting goalies.  I’m sure Markstrom is fine and fresh but back-to-back games one day later are definitely hard.   I’d be fine if he puts Demko in net.   Better then losing today and then putting Demko in tomorrow I think.   That said if we win then Demko in tomorrow is ok too.   If Markstrom plays tonight the team needs to play their best game so far in the playoffs hands down for this reason alone.   The Blues are in a position to claw their way back into the series and they absolutely know this given the schedule.   Same thing goes for St Louis to a certain degree.   Binnington has probably never lost three in a row - should they risk it?  Don’t think they have much choice other then to go with Allen ... but it could also back-fire.  

Game three and four are always the most important games in a series.   One team always goes up in game three - and or goes down to 3-0.   Game four is the most important though as a series can be won or tied up or for up 3–1.   Huge games today and tomorrow huge games. 

Edit: Ok aside from this playoffs Binnington has probably never lost three in a row ha ha ha ha 

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tonight TG has a huge decision to make with his starting goalies.  I’m sure Markstrom is fine and fresh but back-to-back games one day later are definitely hard.   I’d be fine if he puts Demko in net.   Better then losing today and then putting Demko in tomorrow I think.   That said if we win then Demko in tomorrow is ok too.   If Markstrom plays tonight the team needs to play their best game so far in the playoffs hands down for this reason alone.   The Blues are in a position to claw their way back into the series and they absolutely know this given the schedule.   Same thing goes for St Louis to a certain degree.   Binnington has probably never lost three in a row - should they risk it?  Don’t think they have much choice other then to go with Allen ... but it could also back-fire.  

Game three and four are always the most important games in a series.   One team always goes up in game three - and or goes down to 3-0.   Game four is the most important though as a series can be won or tied up or for up 3–1.   Huge games today and tomorrow huge games. 

Edit: Ok aside from this playoffs Binnington has probably never lost three in a row ha ha ha ha 

It is a very hard decision in my mind, but not in TG's- Marky will start, end of story.

I think that starting Demko tonight gives Canucks more flexibility going forward, but TG conservative, and he will stick with a winning line up

• Cheers 1