Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

I’m interested to know what kind of staycations people have had this summer. Anything creative? 
I did some camping on Vancouver Island and will be trying out a cabin on Salt Spring Island soon. 
Anybody actually leaving the province? 
Also, feel free to enter this CTV contest to win an Oak Bay Beach Staycation:

https://ul.ink/T8SP-8SWV6E

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I kept all of our vacationing on the Island.

 

Day trips to Port Alberni & Sproat Lake.  Cycled the Cowichan Valley Trail.  Several trips to the Sooke Potholes.  Camped at Rathtrevor and Gordon Bay.

 

It's been a very low key / relaxing summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I kept all of our vacationing on the Island.

 

Day trips to Port Alberni & Sproat Lake.  Cycled the Cowichan Valley Trail.  Several trips to the Sooke Potholes.  Camped at Rathtrevor and Gordon Bay.

 

It's been a very low key / relaxing summer.

Rathtrevor is amazing. Did you do the upper & lower falls? So freezing cold in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slegr said:

Rathtrevor is amazing. Did you do the upper & lower falls? So freezing cold in there.

Given the temps we've had lately, freezing is refreshing.  It cools you better than any air conditioner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Rathtrevor is amazing. Did you do the upper & lower falls? So freezing cold in there.

I can see Rathtrevor beach from my house. So awesome, the tide goes for what seems like miles.

 

I've stayed mid island during all this covid stuff. Feel very lucky to live in this area. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bishopshodan said:

I can see Rathtrevor beach from my house. So awesome, the tide goes for what seems like miles.

 

I've stayed mid island during all this covid stuff. Feel very lucky to live in this area. 

 

That must be an awesome view.

Mid island is a great area. I like how Parksville , Coombs and Qualicum are so close together, easy to visit all those places.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slegr said:

That must be an awesome view.

Mid island is a great area. I like how Parksville , Coombs and Qualicum are so close together, easy to visit all those places.

Yes, those places are great, almost as nice as Nanoose Bay  ;).

 

I face west on NorthWest Bay in Nanoose. I can see the shores of Craig bay, Rathtrevor on to  Parksville and some small Islands up the coast, Hornby and Denman I think. 

I have no reason to travel very far for great nature. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just on Saltspring last week, other than that I haven't done much 

 

Would love to get down to Tofino but that's a long ass day trip and I'm not willing to put down $300 for a hotel 

 

Getting a camping spot this time of year would be impossible 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Went to my buddies camp in the Muskokas for a weekend with my friends.

Went to a cottage on the French River to celebrate my moms 50th.

Where is Muskokas? In Ontario? 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Where is Muskokas? In Ontario? 
 

Yeah it's a couple hours north of Toronto.  It's a beautiful part of Canada.  It's a playground for the rich people of Toronto, tons of cottages like this on the three lakes (Muskoka, Rosseau, and Joseph).  Me and buddies stayed in a trailer lol.

 

 

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been keeping it pretty local. 

Camping - Port Renfrew, Morton Lake, Hornby and Galiano Islands. 

Few days at a friends cabin in Ukluelet.

 

Day trips to Sooke Potholes(×2), Tubing on the Cowichan River, China Beach (x2), Witty's Lagoon (x2). Had the canoe out a few times on local lakes. 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Been keeping it pretty local. 

Camping - Port Renfrew, Morton Lake, Hornby and Galiano Islands. 

Few days at a friends cabin in Ukluelet.

 

Day trips to Sooke Potholes(×2), Tubing on the Cowichan River, China Beach (x2), Witty's Lagoon (x2). Had the canoe out a few times on local lakes. 

 

Cool! Is it tenting or trailer when you camp? 
I normally tent but rented from RV rentals on the island and really enjoyed the trailer. Don’t think I can afford to buy one though, so I’ll keep my tent.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slegr said:

Cool! Is it tenting or trailer when you camp? 
I normally tent but rented from RV rentals on the island and really enjoyed the trailer. Don’t think I can afford to buy one though, so I’ll keep my tent.

We tent but we're fully loaded with all kinds of "glamping" equipment. Comfort is never an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Did a nice circle tour from Vancouver-Whistler-Lilooet-Fraser Canyon then over to Manning Park then Osyooos and then home via the Coquihaulass. 

how many days did you take? (nice drive in the Fraser Canyon area, always enjoy stopping at Hell's Gate) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rychicken said:

how many days did you take? (nice drive in the Fraser Canyon area, always enjoy stopping at Hell's Gate) 

just 4 we didn't have a lot of time. Its a really nice kind of figure 8 route. We really like Manning Park, its not the most glamorous place but its really a fun place that people seem to never stop in at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

just 4 we didn't have a lot of time. Its a really nice kind of figure 8 route. We really like Manning Park, its not the most glamorous place but its really a fun place that people seem to never stop in at. 

Have you been able to book a site at Manning?
 

It was booked solid when I tried earlier this year (Lightning Lake anyway). Went online like 6 mornings in a row when the new day reservations open and every time, it was fully booked before I could even grab anything. 
 

I have heard that lots of people are canceling their reservations. They panic booked when BC Parks opened up because of COVID-19 (same mentality as toilet paper hoarding), but then when their day actual comes, they cancel and apparently there’s lots of first come first served as a result.

 

We booked other places this year. Usually we do a week in Manning each summer, but this year just too much trouble making reservations there.

 

Thought seriously about just showing up at Manning and seeing what we’d get, but I don’t like leaving too much to chance these days, now that I have kids. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slegr said:

I’m interested to know what kind of staycations people have had this summer. Anything creative? 
I did some camping on Vancouver Island and will be trying out a cabin on Salt Spring Island soon. 
Anybody actually leaving the province? 
Also, feel free to enter this CTV contest to win an Oak Bay Beach Staycation:

https://ul.ink/T8SP-8SWV6E

 

I built a backyard deck. The weather sucked, so I basically had a week to work outside and the odd day here and there. Still have some things to work on

 

IMG_0463.thumb.JPG.94c930e40a4932807e556cbf1350c056.JPG

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I built a backyard deck. The weather sucked, so I basically had a week to work outside and the odd day here and there. Still have some things to work on

 

IMG_0463.thumb.JPG.94c930e40a4932807e556cbf1350c056.JPG

Wow, that’s pretty awesome!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...