The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Staycations?

Slegr

4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Wow, that’s pretty awesome!

Thanks. The layout of the deck boards wasn't supposed to be quite that involved, but like a lot of things up here in the great wet northwest, you can't always get building materials in the lengths you need. I figured out that pattern so I could use almost all of the cut off ends of longer pieces.

Ok. I thought a staycation meant that you are home in your own bed or yard every night. 
I do staycations every summer as I live in a tourist destination. Golf course across the road from me. 10 other courses within 45 mins. 30 mins to the lake. Two developed hot springs within 45 mins and one in the wild an hour away. In my back yard is a fire pit and a pond with nothing but forest behind. 
Why would I want to go anywhere else in the summer. I would rather save my money for a winter trip. 

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Thanks. The layout of the deck boards wasn't supposed to be quite that involved, but like a lot of things up here in the great wet northwest, you can't always get building materials in the lengths you need. I figured out that pattern so I could use almost all of the cut off ends of longer pieces.

Ok I was wondering about that pattern. 

4 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Ok I was wondering about that pattern. 

It started out that it was going to be north-south down the center and east-west on each side. Once I found out that wouldn't work without buying a bunch more deck boards, I stated using cut off 2 x 6 ends as backing and then filled in the gaps with a pattern that would allow me to use everything I had.

13 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Ok. I thought a staycation meant that you are home in your own bed or yard every night. 
I do staycations every summer as I live in a tourist destination. Golf course across the road from me. 10 other courses within 45 mins. 30 mins to the lake. Two developed hot springs within 45 mins and one in the wild an hour away. In my back yard is a fire pit and a pond with nothing but forest behind. 
Why would I want to go anywhere else in the summer. I would rather save my money for a winter trip. 

Sounds nice - where about are you? Can CDCers come to your place for vacation?

Edited by Slegr

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have you been able to book a site at Manning?

It was booked solid when I tried earlier this year (Lightning Lake anyway). Went online like 6 mornings in a row when the new day reservations open and every time, it was fully booked before I could even grab anything. 

I have heard that lots of people are canceling their reservations. They panic booked when BC Parks opened up because of COVID-19 (same mentality as toilet paper hoarding), but then when their day actual comes, they cancel and apparently there’s lots of first come first served as a result.

We booked other places this year. Usually we do a week in Manning each summer, but this year just too much trouble making reservations there.

Thought seriously about just showing up at Manning and seeing what we’d get, but I don’t like leaving too much to chance these days, now that I have kids. 

we actually decided to stay in the lodge this time so I'm not sure about the sites, this year is so weird its hard to know when something will come up. 

14 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

we actually decided to stay in the lodge this time so I'm not sure about the sites, this year is so weird its hard to know when something will come up. 

Good call. We did the lodge for the second half of our trip last year (it was late summer and the nights were getting quite cold), and the kids loved it. Maybe not the most swanky accommodations, but it’s more than good enough, and felt like pure luxury after several chilly nights in the tent. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Nice work Rup.

I built a deck too! I was forced to as the old one was soo rotted that I put a foot through it. However don't have your skills so I hired a friend to be the foreman. Learned a bunch.

I also got into shooting crossbows :P.

IMG_20200515_150616.thumb.jpg.beff5b6556344aa6d90f252fdb0e2582.jpg

I really want to learn.  I got a bow that I tried years ago, want to get back into it soon hopefully. 

39 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good call. We did the lodge for the second half of our trip last year (it was late summer and the nights were getting quite cold), and the kids loved it. Maybe not the most swanky accommodations, but it’s more than good enough, and felt like pure luxury after several chilly nights in the tent. 

I don't know what it is about Manning but we really like it there. We always try to go there for our 1st ski of the year too. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I don't know what it is about Manning but we really like it there. We always try to go there for our 1st ski of the year too. 

Us too. It’s one of those places that never seems to get old/boring. It’s possible my wife and I have done just about everything there by now, but now with the kids, it’s like rediscovering the park, and the old trails are new again, and so many hikes and vistas to revisit as the kids get older and more capable.

It’s also just so amazingly diverse, in terms of the landscapes and microclimates. And all the changes from season to season, and even week to week for some of the areas. Just so much to see and do.

Been going to Manning since I was a kid, and now I’m taking my own kids every year.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It started out that it was going to be north-south down the center and east-west on each side. Once I found out that wouldn't work without buying a bunch more deck boards, I stated using cut off 2 x 6 ends as backing and then filled in the gaps with a pattern that would allow me to use everything I had.

Not sure what size the deck is but I built one this spring that was 20x20. Built it in 10ft squares. Each square opposite the other. 
All 10ft boards I could carry in my Mazda truck. Most I cut off was 3.5 inches. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Not sure what size the deck is but I built one this spring that was 20x20. Built it in 10ft squares. Each square opposite the other. 
All 10ft boards I could carry in my Mazda truck. Most I cut off was 3.5 inches. 

It's 16 x 12

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Us too. It’s one of those places that never seems to get old/boring. It’s possible my wife and I have done just about everything there by now, but now with the kids, it’s like rediscovering the park, and the old trails are new again, and so many hikes and vistas to revisit as the kids get older and more capable.

It’s also just so amazingly diverse, in terms of the landscapes and microclimates. And all the changes from season to season, and even week to week for some of the areas. Just so much to see and do.

Been going to Manning since I was a kid, and now I’m taking my own kids every year.

thats the same with us too. I don't know if you x-country ski, but they now groom the road up to lookout across the highway from the resort. Its a big hump up but really fun down.