The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] How Much Money Could You Lose...

Rate this topic

Down by the River

How much money could you lose, and still be ecstatic that the Canucks move on to the second round?

For example, if I asked you to give me $100 to see the Canucks win, but if they lost, I'd give you $150, would you do it?

Proposal:

Bet an amount that you are comfortable with on the Blues next game. If the Canucks win, you don't care about the lost money. You're ecstatic that they won and the amount you bet is not so much that it negates the euphoria of winning. If the Canucks lose, you won some money. Keep the amount you bet, donate the earnings to a charity of your choice, and repeat the process for game 7. 

Either the Canucks move on, or, at the least, CDC helped raise some money for charity (or drop your winnings on booze to drown your sorrows, whatever you feel).

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol fr I'm pretty cheap (frugal) IRL
Wouldn't mind losing it to you if we go for drinks lol

Haha man I am very frugal. Gotta be my Scottish ancestors. It took me years from being a student to having a full time job to actually stop living like I was still a student.

I bet a bit of money on the Blues tonight. So happy to lose the money. 

There are a lot of betting sites out there, I won't post links because I'm pretty sure it is not allowed on CDC, but they are easy to find.

Definitely a frugal guy here with both Mennonite and Dutch roots. I'm also extraordinarily risk averse when it comes to bets to the point where it's not really even a proper bet, so I probably wouldn't ever take you up on that, haha.

Ok.  Here’s one.   What would you be willing to trade for just one cup?   Your house?  Your pension?  Your car?     Your kidney and maybe one eye and ear? Your firstborn child?  For the Scotts 50$?

Personally id seriously consider all of the above which probably means I should go talk to a professional.    Heck with the games getting more meaningful as the playoffs go on I’d consider a contract with the devil just like maybe some poor sod did last night to get us back on top in the first round. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ok.  Here’s one.   What would you be willing to trade for just one cup?   Your house?  Your pension?  Your car?     Your kidney and maybe one eye and ear? Your firstborn child?  For the Scotts 50$?

Personally id seriously consider all of the above which probably means I should go talk to a professional.    Heck with the games getting more meaningful as the playoffs go on I’d consider a contract with the devil just like maybe some poor sod did last night to get us back on top in the first round. 

For this season?  I would consider taking up that bet with you.  I don't have too much to offer, I got a car almost as old as me and some for money buried away for tuition.

That would be conflicting my interests though.

10 hours ago, Down by the River said:

How much money could you lose, and still be ecstatic that the Canucks move on to the second round?

For example, if I asked you to give me $100 to see the Canucks win, but if they lost, I'd give you $150, would you do it?

Proposal:

Bet an amount that you are comfortable with on the Blues next game. If the Canucks win, you don't care about the lost money. You're ecstatic that they won and the amount you bet is not so much that it negates the euphoria of winning. If the Canucks lose, you won some money. Keep the amount you bet, donate the earnings to a charity of your choice, and repeat the process for game 7. 

Either the Canucks move on, or, at the least, CDC helped raise some money for charity (or drop your winnings on booze to drown your sorrows, whatever you feel).

I enjoy these types of questions

For me, although there would be some monetary "value" for me to see a Canucks win, I am a hockey fan, so the win would be hollow knowing it was predestined 

I want to have the ebbs and flows of the game...

Interesting question.

Seeing the Canucks win a cup is definitely on my bucket list. If they make it to the finals once Covid is gone, I promised my 8 year old son we would find a way to watch a game in person. (We live in Calgary, so that is not easy nor cheap). So I guess there is an expense I am willing to pay to create an everlasting memory like that. But with that said, I would never want my passion for them to win to be skewed by a monetary return. Runs the passion.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Take my wife......please.

No, seriously, take my wife.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Proposal:

Series odds are +225 for the blues to win.  I have $100 on them now.  

7 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I've been losing $20 a game on the Canucks' online 50/50.

Me too.  If you use american express it counts for their Shop small promotion and you get $5

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Series odds are +225 for the blues to win.  I have $100 on them now.  

Me too.  If you use american express it counts for their Shop small promotion and you get $5

I put $50 on the Blues to win tomorrow. I'd easily pay $50 to see the Canucks play in the second round. That's $50 to (1) see the Canucks win a game on Friday and (2) guarantee that at least four more games of playoff hockey will be played. With this pandemic, I'm happy to pay for extra hockey. 

7 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I'm not much of a gambler, but if say a gene came out of a bottle and said "I can grant sports wishes, but they cost money." I definitely drop a few hundred for the Canucks to win this round and several thousand for them to win it all

gene simmons images GIF