The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ALF appreciation Thread (Discussion)

Rate this topic

J.I.A.H.N

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Alf was an absolute idiot. I'm glad he is alive but I'm glad he's gone. 

I think he enjoyed playing dumb/ purposefully obtuse. I saw some of his posts on the other board, he was arguing the phrase "kick you out" implies physical violence regardless of context. It was the same kind of silliness that he got up to here. 

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

He doesn't care about his friends here at cdc. He was showed so much love despite his all over the ice comments.

Only to leave with people wondering if he was ok or not. I find that weak sauce and for that, to him I say good riddance !

200.gif.b0b0daecebfe2475f0c22ebaa98c17b3.gif

I don't know Dan.

Yah I wished he would have let us know, but maybe he has his reason's.

Pretty had to stay in character the way he does........I loved his schtick

and push come to shove he was pretty much spot on, when being serious

IMO, a lot of people on here hide behind the screen...he never did

I am totally relieved that he is OK......it took awhile to come out

I think CDC is way better off having him, then not!

Give him sht, but then tell him your glad he is back!

Love him or hate him, either way, I think he is family......

• Huggy Bear 1
3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know Dan.

Yah I wished he would have let us know, but maybe he has his reason's.

Pretty had to stay in character the way he does........I loved his schtick

and push come to shove he was pretty much spot on, when being serious

IMO, a lot of people on here hide behind the screen...he never did

I am totally relieved that he is OK......it took awhile to come out

I think CDC is way better off having him, then not!

Give him sht, but then tell him your glad he is back!

Love him or hate him, either way, I think he is family......

I get ya. Though I disagree that he was spot on about most things outside of hockey talk. His cuteness wore off quick in the covid and political threads. He was funny, had great hockey knowledge. Still a lot of people including myself reached out. I know we're an anonymous community but with him being old and open about his personal life. It sucks that he left everyone hanging. 

He was obviously an important CDC'r. Look at this thread.

Alf if you're reading this thread... poor show my friend, poor show. 

I'm glad he's alive, I was concerned given his age. He could be entertaining at times. He could also be insightful, though I didn't always agree with his takes. 

That being said, I'm disappointed in him for ghosting everyone. Alf's an older dude, most of us are/were aware of this, and for him to suddenly vanish without a word as Covid spread was rather tasteless. No, he doesn't owe us anything, but there have been ongoing expressions of concern since he vanished and that was months ago. It all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 4
35 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm glad he's alive, I was concerned given his age. He could be entertaining at times. He could also be insightful, though I didn't always agree with his takes. 

That being said, I'm disappointed in him for ghosting everyone. Alf's an older dude, most of us are/were aware of this, and for him to suddenly vanish without a word as Covid spread was rather tasteless. No, he doesn't owe us anything, but there have been ongoing expressions of concern since he vanished and that was months ago. It all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

Exactly. As someone in the same age ballpark as Alf, I have learned that the most important thing in life is our relationships with those that love us and those with whom we are good friends. And we have to work hard to keep those relationships because they are precious and they are what sustains us. So, to squander such an outpouring of genuine regard and sincere concern is a mistake. It tells people that you are more than willing to bask in the kindness of strangers, but that is also a one way street. Most one way streets lead to dead ends. At this point in your life, Alf, why taint the milk of human kindness with bitterness?

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Cheers 4
3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Exactly. As someone in the same age ballpark as Alf, I have learned that the most important thing in life is our relationships with those that love us and those with whom we are good friends. And we have to work hard to keep those relationships because they are precious and they are what sustains us. So, to squander such an outpouring of genuine regard and sincere concern is a mistake. It tells people that you are more than willing to bask in the kindness of strangers, but that is also a one way street. Most one way streets lead to dead ends. At this point in your life, Alf, why taint the milk of human kindness with bitterness?

I totally agree in your feelings, yet, I think that most of your grief/annoyance is based on the fact that you cared. And like me, feared for Alf's health. The regrettable truth though, is that he did not know of our concern, because he left on March 20th, and most of us did not voice our concern until several weeks later.

Yes, the silence was not what we would consider an appropriate ending, but we do not know the exact reason why he left, and we do not know if there was a trigger. Myself, I am just relieved that Alf is in good health. He has a long history on these boards and gathered a considerable amount of up votes over his tenure. I think that says something, about the time Alf;s was here, as does both the negative and positive comments imply something, greater than ridicule or admiration. 

Positive Relief  is the greatest thing given here. And appreciation for a beloved Poster. Gentlemen, I suggest you question why you have the feelings you do, and I believe that you will discover, that you indeed care, as you would a family member.

I suggest we respect his privacy, and respect his contribution, and leave it at that. No need to be psssed off. 

IMO, most of CDC miss Alf's humor...........I know I do!

• Thanks 1