The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Demko, shall we trade him?

tan

51 minutes ago, tan said:

As Marky will be signed long term, and Demko will be taken in expansion if not traded, which team will be interested in Demko? value=first round draft pick?

There's no guarantee that Demko will be taken by Seattle as there has got to be at least a couple of other young goalies who could be the "goalie of the future" for Seattle. For example, if Washington doesn't do something they could lose Samsonov, who doesn't look to be too bad. And if guys like Motte continue to develop might they not be a good choice in this expansion draft if there is another promising goalie out there?

This being said, I'd really look for any and all info on Seattle's thoughts, what players are other teams leaving exposed, and see what (if anything reasonable) the Canucks could do as a consideration for Seattle to take someone other than Demko, or anyone else who the Canucks value.

regards,  G.

7 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Don't we have to expose at least one NHL goalie in the draft?  So if we trade Demko away, won't we have to acquire a goalie just to make him available?

I could totally be imagining that rule though.

Correct but they'll need a 2nd goalie in Utica anyways.  Last time Bachman met the goalie exposure requirements for Vancouver.

2 hours ago, tan said:

As Marky will be signed long term, and Demko will be taken in expansion if not traded, which team will be interested in Demko? value=first round draft pick?

Anyone acquiring  him is going to have the same issue with the expansion draft (unless they plan on making him their de facto starter.). Considering he’s been somewhat underwhelming in the NHL so far I doubt anyone will give up a 1st for him 

Edited by qwijibo

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Don't we have to expose at least one NHL goalie in the draft?  So if we trade Demko away, won't we have to acquire a goalie just to make him available?

I could totally be imagining that rule though.

Yes.

There's a good chance a guy like Louis Domingue gets a 2 year deal because of it. Sort of reminds me how the Canucks signed Richard Bachman for two years just to meet the Expansion requirements because Demko wasn't eligible back then.

I actually don't see Demko being targeted by Seattle. I think with guys like Murray/Jarry, Reimer/Mrazek, Korpisalo/Merzlenkins being available, I can see the "appeal" to pick up Demko lessening.

I'm more worried a guy like Motte gets claimed. Someone under the radar who may not get protected in the expansion but would be an asset to have long term. I'm thinking of how the Golden Knights stole Nosek from Detroit (Nosek has turned into a very good 4th liner). If Stecher is re-signed, I can see him being an expansion target too as he has Nate Schmidt potential, in my opinion. Demko is still unproven at the NHL level.

That said, if we were to lose Demko, we do have a really healthy goalie pipeline. Dipetro is the next man up and could become the backup in the 2021/2022 season if Demko is taken and that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. After that we've got Arturs Silovs which Canucks brass are really high on and we don't know how Matthew Thiessen will do in the NCAA quite yet.

It would suck to lose Demko for nothing but we're going to lose somebody. Just got to manage who. Good players will be taken, that's for sure.

59 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Yes.

There's a good chance a guy like Louis Domingue gets a 2 year deal because of it. Sort of reminds me how the Canucks signed Richard Bachman for two years just to meet the Expansion requirements because Demko wasn't eligible back then.

I actually don't see Demko being targeted by Seattle. I think with guys like Murray/Jarry, Reimer/Mrazek, Korpisalo/Merzlenkins being available, I can see the "appeal" to pick up Demko lessening.

[...]

Merzlikins is expansion exempt - he'll be only in his 2nd pro-season.  Reimer and Mrazek will be both UFAs for expansion.  Rutherford already said they can't keep both Murray/Jarry and will likely be trading one of them this off-season.  

Edited by mll

Nowadays Murray has become a lump. Which hi-lights a trend here(just look at the last few winning Cup 'tenders)..that is, 'tender shelf-lives appear to be shortening more quickly every yr.

Starting to wonder if the right 'tender coach is more important than yer F***ing tandem?!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Merzlikins is expansion exempt - he'll be only in his 2nd pro-season.  Reimer and Mrazek are both UFAs.  Rutherford already said they can't keep both Murray/Jarry and will likely be trading one of them this off-season.  

I don't think we'd get much for Demko by himself but if you packaged him with a Virtanen/Gaudette you could get a semi-significant piece.

Team would have to be in a situation to be able to protect a forward and have goaltending uncertainty.

11 hours ago, Quantum said:

Yes.

I'm more worried a guy like Motte gets claimed. Someone under the radar who may not get protected in the expansion but would be an asset to have long term. I'm thinking of how the Golden Knights stole Nosek from Detroit (Nosek has turned into a very good 4th liner). If Stecher is re-signed, I can see him being an expansion target too as he has Nate Schmidt potential, in my opinion. Demko is still unproven at the NHL level.

It would suck to lose Demko for nothing but we're going to lose somebody. Just got to manage who. Good players will be taken, that's for sure.

If a good 4th liner like Motte (whose offensive output could very well be a one-off) is who the team loses, I'd be perfectly happy with that.  Unless he's the second coming of Justin "Mr Game 7" Williams, many teams already have productive bottom 6's, and our team isn't in a place to splurge on more pricey 4th liners anyways, not to mention that there's guys like Kole Lind who may be making their way up the ranks.  This team hasn't had trouble finding young and hungry guys to fill out the roster for cheap.

Agreed also that Demko hasn't really proven much, and there are other teams with more proven options available for selection.  Stecher could be toughest to lose since he's shown that he plays bigger than he is and would not be fun to play against (plus the team needs RD).

On 8/21/2020 at 8:43 PM, tan said:

If Demko as a sweetener helps us get rid of Eriksson, then absolutely.   

To Detroit:  Demko + Rafferty + Lind + Eriksson.

To Vancouver:  6th or 7th rounder

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

If Demko as a sweetener helps us get rid of Eriksson, then absolutely.   

To Detroit:  Demko + Rafferty + Lind + Eriksson.

To Vancouver:  6th or 7th rounder

imo, way too much being dealt away, just to ditch Eriksson.

• Like 1

The more I think about to the more I seem to think that even if we exposed demko he won’t be taken.

There are quite a few young goalies with potential exposed and then there is also plenty 1bs out there which may get taken. 

while demko is good I think we are placing to high a value on him.

He isn’t the next coming of Roy/Brodeur, in his games this season he hasn’t looked like bobrovski when he broke out or Hart in philli. 

while he still has time he looks like a serviceable back up with the potential to be a starter or a 1b. 

if we lose him no big deal, however I think we over estimate his value in trades. 

if motte continues to improve he could be very much a Hanson type player - cheap and serviceable throughout the lineup, while providing solid dependable play. 

those are the sorts of players you need in your team to be able to cover injuries, to sometimes inject a spark to a line gone stale.

plus we don’t know If anyone will breakout next year.

tldr - I don’t think Demkos value is as high as we think, nor that he will be selected