The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Demko, shall we trade him?

tan

Lets trade Demko and Eriksson for a bag of pucks!!!! Yeah!!!! Demko doesn't represent the future here!!! This team is a finished product!!!!!!

Hey while we are at it why don't they trade a first and a few second round draft picks as well????? Oh, they already did that!,

Silly idea, 30 yr old Markstrom or 24 yr old Demko? Both with similar stats but one up for auction with and opening bid of 6.5 mil, the other up for a 4.5 mil deal next contract

One constrains negotiations because of a flat cap, the other allows for another full year to deal with the cap screw up there without losing too much but does get the team younger.

So many things point to why the team should keep Demko over Markstrom, so Benning wil trade him for a bag of pucks, JB will give Markstrom a 6 year deal worth 36 mil with a NMC and then a MNTC, signing bonuses of 10 mil for the first 4 years making his contract untradeable. Then he will say "I had to take the best deal out there or lose Demko to Seattle for expansion" Well do you think that every GM in the league will not know that and deal from a position of strength vs the Canucks knowing they have to ake whatever they can get?

Should Canucks keep Jacob Markstrom or go with Thatcher Demko next season?

Play Video
Play
Mute

Loaded: 0%

Remaining Time -3:06
ShareFullscreen

Canucks gained valuable experience with over half the room seeing first playoffs

Iain MacIntyre and Dan Murphy discuss the Vancouver Canucks' success in the post-season despite over half the roster having never experienced the playoffs before, noting that this was a tremendous learning experience.

Headshots-Tues5-115x115.pngJosh Beneteau@jbenny15September 5, 2020, 3:47 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Vancouver Canucks are packing their bags and heading home from the Edmonton bubble after an unbelievable playoff run ended in disappointing fashion Friday night.

Still, the club should feel nothing but pride in what they accomplished, winning two series — including one against the defending Stanley Cup champions — and pushing one of the NHL’s best teams to a 0-0 tie mid-way through the third period of Game 7.

Of course, the biggest reason their series with the Vegas Golden Knights even got to that point was goaltending, but it wasn’t Jacob Markstrom holding the fort. Instead, rookie sensation Thatcher Demko almost single handedly led the Canucks to the upset with three huge performances in Games 5, 6 and 7.

Now, general manager Jim Benning has the very difficult task of deciding whether Demko has shown enough to be a primary starter or if Markstrom — a pending free agent — should be offered a contract to return.

Whichever way Benning chooses to go will shape the Canucks for years to come.

Play Video
Play
Mute

Remaining Time -3:02
ShareFullscreen

Horvat has seen 'tremendous growth' from Canucks throughout playoffs

The case for re-signing Markstrom…

Markstrom chose a great time to peak.

With the most important contract negotiation of his career looming, the 30-year-old put together a great season, with a 23-16-4 record, .918 save percentage and .925 save rate at 5-on-5. That continued in the playoffs where he upped his numbers slightly to a .919 save percentage overall and .941 rate at 5-on-5 in 14 starts, eight of which required him to make more than 30 saves. When the Vezina Trophy voting results are revealed during the Stanley Cup Final, his name will appear on more than one ballot.

Markstrom joined the Canucks from the Florida Panthers as part of the return in the 2014 Roberto Luongo trade and is the third-longest serving player on the current roster. If these playoffs are any indication, Vancouver is entering a win-now window and his unquantifiable veteran presence would be a valuable asset. Markstrom is a known commodity to the Canucks and replacing him with another goalie with a comparable resume from outside the organization would be risky and could be costly, whether in salary or trade assets.

Most teams that have gone on deep playoff runs in recent years have done so with a strong goaltending tandem splitting time during the regular season, allowing the starter to be fresh come playoff time. With Markstrom and Demko sharing the net, the Canucks have that coveted split. The duo started 70 of the Canucks’ 72 games this season, with Markstrom getting into 43 of them. After 57 and 60 starts in each of the last two seasons, when his backup was primarily Anders Nilsson, Markstrom was able to rest a bit more this season. The pandemic pause makes it difficult to evaluate how much that factored into the Canucks’ deep playoff run, but it certainly didn’t hurt it.

Play Video
Play
Mute

Remaining Time -2:07
ShareFullscreen

Golden Knights and Canucks shake hands after incredible series

The case for naming Demko the No. 1 starter…

Money makes the world go ’round and the cap-ceiling Canucks don’t have much of it to spend. The team was already going to be forced to make some difficult decisions this off-season before a global pandemic turned off the economic tap, and now with the salary cap staying flat for at least two years, there’s even less room to work with. Beyond Markstrom, some important skaters have expiring contracts that need to be extended or replaced, including Tyler Toffoli, Chris Tanev, Troy Stecher and Jake Virtanen.

One way Benning could save some money is in goal.

On the open market, Markstrom could command $6-million a year or more, a significant raise from the $3.66 million he made this season. By pairing Demko, who has a $1.05-million cap hit for one more season before becoming a restricted free agent, with a cheaper back-up like Brian Elliott or Cam Talbot, Benning could open up some salary cap room to bolster his blue line or to add more forward depth. The Canucks allowed an average of 33.3 shots against this season, fourth-most in the NHL, so investing in skaters who can lower that total could offset Demko’s inexperience.

Some other factors are at play in Demko’s favour. One of them is the Seattle Kraken expansion draft, set to happen after the 2020-21 season ends, whenever that may be. The Canucks can only protect one goalie from their new northwest rivals so signing Markstrom long-term could expose Demko to be taken freely by the Kraken. While that would only add more fuel to the rivalry from a fan’s perspective, the Canucks would be setting themselves back by losing their goalie of the future that way.

Markstrom’s injury history should also factor into the decision. He’s had knee issues in the past and in late February he had a minor-knee procedure that would have potentially forced him to miss the remainder of the season had the pandemic not paused play. Plus, while it’s still not fully clear what ailment caused Markstrom to miss the final three games of the Golden Knights series, it was concerning enough that he didn’t dress as the backup in any of the games.

Play Video
Play
Mute

Remaining Time -0:43
ShareFullscreen

Thatcher Demko makes a flurry of 'snow angel' saves on Golden Knights

Demko’s historic week in the Edmonton bubble, where he stopped 123 of 125 shots faced in three games, is one variable to this equation, too, but a decision like this isn’t made based on small sample size. However, the young goalie’s track record of success extends far beyond three playoff games.

Originally a second-round pick by the Canucks in 2014, Demko starred in three years at Boston College, winning the Mike Richter Award as NCAA goalie of the year in 2016 and finishing as a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award that same season. He then posted a 55-36-5 record in parts of three AHL seasons before being promoted to the NHL full time this year. Demko held his own in 25 starts this season, winning 13 times, but his .905 save percentage and 3.06 goals-against average both ranked outside the top-30 among goalies with at least 20 appearances.

Demko is far from a sure thing and the Canucks would probably prefer to have him develop a little longer as a backup. But with Markstrom’s contract up, Benning has to choose a goalie to bet the future of his team on now. It won’t be an easy decision.

Cash in now.

OTT

Demko

VAN

Tkachuck

Disclaimer: Goaltending wins Cups and Markstrom may be best fit.

After what I’ve seen, after how DeBrusk couldn’t explain Demko, after he was compared to maybe the best game every by a goaltender, has the future of goaltending finally arrived and we would absolutely FFFFF ourselves by trading Demko?

The thought of trading Hughes who what the hell... or trading Pettersson who is just whatever why is it ever a thought... is this a momentous time for the Canucks on the ledge of a massive mistake?

If the Canucks lets Markstrom walk into UFA, or trade him before he hits the market... an insane goaltender in his own right, the money saved gets us to keep Tanev and Toffoli.

It gives the Canucks a few years to pay who they must eventually pay.

This is the year of the goaltenders. There are decent vet goaltenders that could take a substantial amount of games and have the same effect as Miller, Pearson, Toffoli, Myers, Edler, Tanev, Roussel, have had in their respective tutoring as vets on this team.

Just an idea.

MILLER - PETTERSSON - BOESER

PEARSON - HORVAT - TOFFOLI

TKACHUCK - GAUDETTE - VIRTANEN

MOTTE - BEAGLE - ROUSSEL/ LEIVO

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - TANEV

STETCHER - FABTENBERG

JUOLEVI

MARKSTROM

DiPIETRO

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 2

IMO, keep Demko and either trade/ let Marky go.

Allow Demko to grow with the team. It's pretty clear that his potential extremely high. I think we get more value on our returns if we trade Marky and keep Demko. Remember, we have a cap crunch to deal with and our teams is perhaps 2 or 3 years away from hitting its peak (Might even be more).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Cash in now.

OTT

Demko

VAN

Tkachuck

After what I’ve seen, after how DeBrusk couldn’t explain Demko, after he was compared to maybe the best game every by a goaltender, has the future of goaltending finally arrived and we would absolutely FFFFF ourselves by trading Demko?

The thought of trading Hughes who what the hell... or trading Pettersson who is just whatever why is it ever a thought... is this a momentous time for the Canucks on the ledge of a massive mistake?

If the Canucks lets Markstrom walk into UFA, or trade him before he hits the market... an insane goaltender in his own right, the money saved gets us to keep Tanev and Toffoli.

This is the year of the goaltenders. There are decent vet goaltenders that could take a substantial amount of games and have the same effect as Miller, Pearson, Toffoli, Myers, Edler, Tanev, Roussel, have had in their respective tutoring as vets on this team.

Just an idea.

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - TANEV

STETCHER - FABTENBERG

JUOLEVI

MARKSTROM

DiPIETRO

Sens aren’t trading Brady Tkachuk for Demko.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Cash in now.

OTT

Demko

VAN

Tkachuck

Just an idea.

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - TANEV

STETCHER - FABTENBERG

JUOLEVI

MARKSTROM

DiPIETRO

Bro, Brady is one of the better young Power forwards in the league & is potentially on his way to becoming their captain. There is no way Brady is going to be traded for Demmer. 

• Thanks 3
  • Vintage 1

This is a tough call, but at least we don't have Luongo money/term tied into any one of our goalies this time around. :ph34r:

At the end of the day, I think we should trade Demko - and there's no better time to do it. We have all kinds of needs right now, including the need for another 3rd line centre, a top-4 (preferably right-handed) D man, and the need to recoup more of our draft picks. Demko can surely fetch us one (or more) of those needs if what's available in free agency isn't 1) the right fit and/or 2) affordable for us. Detroit has come up here and there as a potential trading partner, but I think another one to look out for is Ottawa. Teams like San Jose and Boston could be dark horses.

Demko's value is sky-high at the moment, and I have no doubt that he's on the way to becoming a starter in the league. But Markstrom is our guy right now. We need to take the next step towards becoming a contender, and we already have our bonafide #1 in Markstrom - currently playing in his prime. A guy I absolutely love that I'd like to see us sign to play 30 games behind Markstrom would be Khudobin. The problem with Khudobin is that he'll come in around 4-4.5 million, which is only 1.5 million less than what we can sign Markstrom for. Same probably goes for Greiss. (The two aforementioned goalies just got their teams into the final-4.) Maybe a guy like Dell is a suitable/affordable backup option, or even Port Alberni native Laurent Brossoit. Could you trust Domingue to back up Markstrom? I'd be leaning towards no on that one, so you'd have to find someone who you'd be comfortable having play 30 games or so - and there are definitely guys out there who can do just that.

Or do the Nucks just get Marky signed, keep Demko, and worry about the goalie situation later? As much as I want to think this is feasible (because then you get to roll with both Marky AND Demko for another season), we might lose our window of opportunity to trade Demko if we don't do so before the next trade deadline - and then, obviously, lose him for nothing to Seattle.

It's such a tough call and it's hard to say what will happen. There are other factors to consider too: Demko already has 2 concussions, and Marky tweaked his knee (and maybe his groin). Hopefully Markstrom's latest injury won't be of any concern in the long run... But based on everything I've gathered up to this point, I would pull the trigger on Demko because his trade value is so high; and we already have Markstrom - a top-10 goalie in the league. Hypothetically, we could trade him in a package deal to Detroit, and they trade us the UFA rights to Jimmy Howard as a potential backup. I know he's a prospect, but I love Moritz Seider. Dare to dream, dare to dream... :lol:

Benning's a smart guy and will figure this out. Just remember folks, our season ended only just a couple nights ago. And we've seen around the league that trades are already being made. This is just the beginning of the offseason for us. Buckle up!

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

An argument for keeping Markstrom over Demko:  

Although I personally would rather keep Demko over Markstrom, a major argument for the team electing to keep Markstrom would be that the Canucks wouldn’t exactly get much long term cap relief in terms of proceeding with Demko.   Demko becomes an RFA next season.   If Demko were to have a HUGE season next season, the Canucks would be looking at three huge RFA contracts (Petey, Hughes, and Demko).  

An argument could be made, from a cap perspective, that the Canucks could save more cap by using Demko as a sweetener to move a bad contract (Eriksson).   

Ultimately, I think management’s decision would hinge on the following:

Do we proceed forward with the younger asset, or do we use the younger asset as a sweetener to move a bad contract and proceed with the older asset that may start to decline before his contract expires?  

My response by the way would be to still proceed forward with Demko, but both Boeser and Eriksson would be used to clear cap space (11.85 million savings in the off season from those two contracts alone.  Boeser for a 2020 1st and a good prospect, and then trading Eriksson + conditional 2021 1st + 7th rounder for a 2020 6th rounder a.k.a. “Toronto’s Marleau to Carolina deal.”)

I know many people would rather move Virtanen as opposed to Boeser, but I don’t  think moving Virtanen would give us the necessary cap space.    If Virtanen were to fetch you a lowish 2020 1st however, and if the subtraction of Virtanen’s cap space still worked from a long term cap management perspective, then it would definitely be a move worth considering......although you would then run into a long term problem of having overkill on the right side with all three of Toffoli, Boeser, and Podkolzin there.  Some people may then argue that, “well, just let Toffoli walk then,” but then doing that doesn’t get us a return on assets on Toffoli (ie a potential entry into the 2020 1st round, which would then prevent us from using a 2021 1st to move Eriksson since you now out yourself into a position where you’ve gone two drafts in a row without having drafted a 1st, which is highly risky).  

Edited by DarkIndianRises

10 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I hate to burst your bubble but there's no way Ottawa's trading Tkachuk...

More like:

OTT

Demko

Gaudette

Stecher

VAN

Brown/Norris

28th overall

Haha!! Wait... 

Did you just propose 3 1sts for three players?

Spectacular.

Keep Demko unless a team offers a top 10 pick in this draft. You need the younger G long term to grow with the team, not be in EP and QH prime and have a 35+ G as your #1, Demko would be late 20s at that point.

Best hope is you can trade Markstrom's right to a team who really wants to sign him, but that isn't very common

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Keep Demko unless a team offers a top 10 pick in this draft. You need the younger G long term to grow with the team, not be in EP and QH prime and have a 35+ G as your #1, Demko would be late 20s at that point.

Best hope is you can trade Markstrom's right to a team who really wants to sign him, but that isn't very common

No one is giving up a top 10 pick for Demko 

Markstrom will get done. A solid mutual fit for the team and player.  He’s earned the contract...  but keeping Demko really hinges on plan B.  We can see Marky will need a reliable backup to share time with, and I’d say Demmer is a perfect fit for next season...  and likely playoffs.  Imo unless someone steps up with a no brainer, they’ll risk dealing him after the season/before expansion, or lose him to Vegas... OR plan B steps in as 1B tandem for a season via UFA....  but I’d say money would be better spent elsewhere and keep Demko at least until the trade deadline, and reassess at that point. 

JB said he wants 2 good goalies. Only way you do that with Marky is by keeping Demko. If Marky wants a NMC then we have to trade Demko and we would probably not have enough cap to sign a good backup. Marky would have to play 60ish games and we've seen him get hurt when we rely on him too much. If he got hurt and we had to rely on Domingue for stretches that doesn't sound like a recipe for success.We also have to rely on DiPietro to be our next starter and might have to look into drafting another solid goalie if he doesn't pan out.

If we let Markstrom go we'd save some cap and would still be able to sign a good veteran goalie like Griess/Crawford to a short term deal who could play 35+ games in a 1A/1B situation with Demko. The risk you run though is if Demko/the Veteran goalie stuggle, like when Demko struggled when he filled in as starter when Marky was hurt. Marky was our MVP last year and that kind of goaltending is hard to replace.

Only way you keep Marky and Demko is if Marky signs a 1 year deal. The next best thing would be if Marky signed with no NMC. We'd lose a goalie but our goaltending would be good for the next year and we could still make a trade and have options of trading both.

If none of those options are available then the my choice IMO be to let Marky walk then sign Crawford/Griess for a couple years. We'd save cap and still have 2 goalies that can win games. A guy like Crawford also would have a ton of experience as a starter and it could rub off Demko well akin to Markstrom and Ryan Miller. If we did this though I would want us to try and add another solid defenseman for the top 6. Our D wasn't great in front of our goalies for the most part and could use someone solid for the 3rd pairing that could help ease in a youngster(like OJ).

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Vintage 1

On 8/22/2020 at 12:24 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think we'd get much for Demko by himself but if you packaged him with a Virtanen/Gaudette you could get a semi-significant piece.

Team would have to be in a situation to be able to protect a forward and have goaltending uncertainty.

Demko will get you a first round pick or a grade a prospect or a top 2 deman or a top 6 forward.