The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Demko, shall we trade him?

tan

I think JB will have to protect Demko - he's the goalie of the future. Yes, Marky was a star for us but he's 30 and will be 31 at the time of the Seattle draft. He might have say 3 years left of quality goaltending. Demko on the other hand is probably the second best young goalie after Hutton and has some big potential.

I'd sign Markstrom, keep them both to play 40-40 in a likely very dense season with lots of back to backs, roll whichever one is hottest in the playoffs (this is no longer a 70-game goalie world anymore) and take it from there. Next season, protect Demko, expose Markstrom or trade him in the off-season to a team who needs him and will protect him.

9 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Demko will get you a first round pick or a grade a prospect or a top 2 deman or a top 6 forward.

As a Canuck Schneider had a 2.20 Goals against average, a .927 save percentage and played triple the amount of games(86 games started) than Demko has during that time.

He only got a 9th overall pick and that was without a pending Expansion draft.

Teams are not gonna look at 3 games and be like holy $&!#, trade a top 10 pick for him NOW. They're gonna want to see how he is at handling starter situations, like when he did when Marky was hurt, late in the season and back then he didn't do to well. We were actually on pace to drop out of the playoffs when he was filling in as starter.

He is gonna have to have a stellar year next year if he's gonna command anything close to what Schnieder got.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think JB will have to protect Demko - he's the goalie of the future. Yes, Marky was a star for us but he's 30 and will be 31 at the time of the Seattle draft. He might have say 3 years left of quality goaltending. Demko on the other hand is probably the second best young goalie after Hutton and has some big potential.

I'd sign Markstrom, keep them both to play 40-40 in a likely very dense season with lots of back to backs, roll whichever one is hottest in the playoffs (this is no longer a 70-game goalie world anymore) and take it from there. Next season, protect Demko, expose Markstrom or trade him in the off-season to a team who needs him and will protect him.

I’d be shocked if Markstrom signs a deal that doesn’t include expansion draft protection