The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

We can make it political or not

Let's stick to hockey.  I think this is a good break for Nux to rest up. 

40 blocked shot last game. That's a lot of bruises and pain. 

They will need to have similar effort in game 3 to win.  

Tanev looked hurt after he took that big hit last game too. fell a bit awkwardly. he stayed on for like another 2 minutes after though such a freaking warrior..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I've seen the video and this is nothing like George Floyd. Did he deserve to get shot? Idk. But he resisted arrest. He was tasered. He ignored police and tried to get back in his car.. What do you expect to happen? You get in a fight with police who are called to the scene because of you and then reach into your car? honestly Wtf do you think is going to happen? They are complaining that his kids were in the car.. then why are you resisting arrest? I see no comparison to the George Floyd murder. 

Also, you have a knife on the floorboard why? Is it possible the officer didnt want to end up in a high speed chase with kids in the car , and a guy that had just been tasered with a knife in his possession? This has to be discussed without fear on both sides. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Why tho...a day later they should? Makes no sense to me, if anything it looks worse imo. Life goes on, play on!

Then educate yourself.

"Sports are a reward for a functioning society." - Sean Doolittle

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

here's the good news - the off topic section is in this very canucks forum if you click the forum home button scroll down to off topic there are a bunch of active threads 

OTOH, our game was politicized a long time ago. Anthems, flags, honour guards, moments of silence, special “nights” acknowledging various groups, et cetera, et cetera. The door was opened wide decades ago.

I’d be okay with shutting that door, but it would have to be a compete eradication of all things political. Short of that, I think it’s completely appropriate for the movements of today to have a presence in sports.

But I’d be quite happy with no anthem, no flag waving, no soldiers or first responders on the ice. Doubt that’ll ever happen though. That horse has long since left the barn.

More to your point, I agree with keeping most political discussions to the appropriate threads in OT, but when it comes to issues that directly affect the game, as these current events have (at least for many of the players), then it’s just as much pre-game talk as would be talking about injuries or family issues (birth of a child, death of a loved one, etc), and probably fair game for discussing here.

Unless we’re going to limit everyone to merely talking about the lineup, strategy, and the game play itself. Personally, I like a free for all discussion until puck drop, and then get down to business 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

This is such BS, cancelling games why... it ain't going to remove racism or make all equal and treated the same over night. Tomorrow is another day, black people have shot white people and sports weren't cancelled...&^@# my life this world is so butt hurt its unbelievable, paper for skin nowadays...

Black people are butthurt. And they have a right to be. In some areas especially in the US, racism is still very much rampant, and still exists at a level way too high across the country. Not long ago, racism was the norm and expectation. It takes generations to get over that oppression.

We in Canada are a bit more advanced in that regard, but it still happens here too. You may not view it as a big deal, but if you were black I imagine you would have a different view.

No, postponing the games is unlikely to convert anyone overnight. But the more touch points a racist person has with a society that universally denounces racism, the more likely they are to tone down their own views as it becomes more socially unacceptable. By postponing a game, you show player unity against racism and you provide another one of those touch points.

While I really want to watch the game tonight, if postponing it makes any difference at all in allowing someone to live an equal life then I'm all for it. To be frank, as much as I and all of us are fans, it's still just a game.

• Cheers 4

13 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Ridiculous, Keep politics out of sports!

What is this going to do, Someone explain..Literally, Canceling games is going to stop racism?

Game is postponed. Not canceled.

They can do what they want. It's pro sports.  Whatever helps their bottom line. 

Why are there moment of silence in some games after say, a deadly shooting or terrorism? It won't stop any future crimes.  If they feel they have to recognize an event, so be it. 

Why bother with the national anthem? It has nothing to do with sports when it is not Olympics or world championships. 

5 minutes ago, Roberts said:

spot on. Here's a comment from a different forum that sums this up perfectly in my opinion:

image.png.b08a997cc313f01fb711aecfaeffc420.png

I've heard people saying oh he was told to go. He broke up a fight. Everything was over and police just shot him.. I don't see that all in the video. There is screaming and shouting and what appears to be fighting amongst him and police and he just ignores police and tries to leave seconds after this skirmish...and they are immediately on him and he is not listening. 

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

No game what a joke!

whys that  if im canucks im pumped we have a extra day of rest means  toffoli heals even more and possible boeser miller tanev ailments and a extra 36 hrs for myers  shoulder   means he can cone back maybe game 4 or 5  helps us win this series 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

OTOH, our game was politicized a long time ago. Anthems, flags, honour guards, moments of silence, special “nights” acknowledging various groups, et cetera, et cetera. The door was opened wide decades ago.

I’d be okay with shutting that door, but it would have to be a compete eradication of all things political. Short of that, I think it’s completely appropriate for the movements of today to have a presence in sports.

But I’d be quite happy with no anthem, no flag waving, no soldiers or first responders on the ice. Doubt that’ll ever happen though. That horse has long since left the barn.

More to your point, I agree with keeping most political discussions to the appropriate threads in OT, but when it comes to issues that directly affect the game, as these current events have (at least for many of the players), then it’s just as much pre-game talk as would be talking about injuries or family issues (birth of a child, death of a loved one, etc), and probably fair game for discussing here.

Unless we’re going to limit everyone to merely talking about the lineup, strategy, and the game play itself. Personally, I like a free for all discussion until puck drop, and then get down to business 

I don't think anthems and flags should be political - although I suppose national pride is not universal anymore - but that's just me. Yeah the special nights always seemed like a bit of a cash grab anyways to me. Diwali, Aboriginal, and Chinese New Years games etc.. 

There are plenty of threads for non-hockey discussion and if posts relate to how it will impact the game tonight, or this series, that's fine but it was getting pretty deep and away from hockey altogether imo

It is nice to have a small escape from the numerous issues being highlighted and discussed all over