The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

35 minutes ago, kingfreako said:

But just think about WHY such a disproportionately large percent of African Americans are in the lower class. It's not an accident. Segregationist policies were designed to limit access to desirable housing, employment, education, and perhaps most significantly voting rights, to African Americans.

One thing that a lot of Canadians might not know is that, in the USA, the school funding is done district by district. So, if your district is in a poor area, then you may get less money per student (sometimes by far), than the white richer district only a few blocks or miles away. In BC, we try to even it out a bit more, so the level of teaching, curriculum, and equipment is more even.

Edited by wloutet
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

I wonder what Horvat's wife and infant child think about making this take longer. 

I'm sure Reaves has some thoughts too.  He's driving me nuts with his play too but the league should be taking that into account.  There's still far too much racism in hockey today.

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Then educate yourself.

"Sports are a reward for a functioning society." - Sean Doolittle

This quote is so true.  The US especially doesn't deserve to have any sports entertainment right now. If I was the NBA players I would say "see ya next year" and check out.

Glad I found out the NHL is postponing tonight before I hit the liquor store.

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

I’m sorry Deb but before you immediately blame something on race you have to consider the factors at play.  Why are more black people shot by police than white?  Well you might wanna take a look at the violent crime rate of black compared to white.  The homicide rate is 5 times greater in black communities compared to white communities.  It is not a situation of race, it is a situation of class and unfortunately the case is white people have grown up in on average higher class communities than black people.  There was actually a study done that it is more likely a cop will be hesitant to shoot a black man than a white man due to it blowing up in his face and having his life ruined.  Also, almost all these cases of ‘race crimes’ are against criminals.  This Blake guy is a rapist.  George Floyd held a loaded gun at a pregnant woman’s stomach and was high on fentanyl when he was arrested.  Now I’m not excusing the cops actions especially of the one in Floyd’s case because what he did was utterly stupid and idiotic, but you seriously got to feel for the victims of these criminals who see their assailants victimized and shown as saints around the world because that is the truly &^@#ed up $&!# in all of this.

My point is we shouldn’t be focusing on defunding or reforming the police because for the most part they are doing their jobs, what we should focus on is how we can lower the crime rates in those high violent crime communities.  That is done through better schooling, better housing.  Maybe a sort of universal basic income would help all people out of the slum of poverty which drives those people to crime.  But let’s not misinform everyone and villainize the police because they are the people putting their lives on the line for the good of society.

To add to this: All we see is “another black shooting victim by police”.  Well, what happened before the shooting?  I’m sorry, don’t care what city you’re from, Police just don’t go around head hunting ready to kill any black dude that crosses their path.  
If I open up Toronto sun newspaper, the first 4 pages are all about black crime.  Every day.  And that’s not an exaggeration.   Black on black murder, black teen wanted for shooting, black male wanted for rape and the list goes on.  Not saying there’s no crazy white people out there but facts are facts.  

And btw every black guy I know, even friends, they call themselves black, not African American! Because they are not from Africa! Nor are they offended if you call them black.  Ffs From now on just refer me as a south Asian, indo-Canadian. I’m BROWN that’s it.  You’re white, he’s black. Simple! Stop with the sensitivity!  

and cancelling tonight’s games... I LOVE!!! 
politically it’s a freakin joke.  You think cancelling  sports will help fight racism?? If anything sports brings people (races) together.  However, cancelling games will give Myers and the rest of the boys time to heal! So bring it.  Extra day off!!

im going to get flamed for my post now I feel. 

EDIT:  frack Kane and his political beliefs on human rights.  This is the same dirtbag that had multiple sexual assault cases against him.  Where’s the human rights in that 

Edited by sassbs

3 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I could see games resuming tomorrow as per the regular schedule, meaning we wouldn't play until Saturday. Then if a game 7 is needed, it will be added to the already present schedule.

Just hope it doesn't translate to more back to backs. 

Nux need as much rest as they can get. They don't have enough depth as Vegas. 

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If this was another George Floyd case then there would be cause to protest but this is just someone with a narrative peddling an agenda making something appear as something it isn't. Watch the video read the report from the police.. What people say happened isn't what actually went down. 

This is just one incident in a looooong line of these incidents.  

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm sure Reaves has some thoughts too.  He's driving me nuts with his play too but the league should be taking that into account.  There's still far too much racism in hockey today.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Edited by Moose Nuckle

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Such a divisive issue that inevitably descends into arguing and personal attacks. Exactly why I steer clear of the toxicity that is the Off-Topic Forum. I really wish we could keep social and political issues in their applicable threads and keep the GDT/PGT to Canucks Talk. 

Ok fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Disappointed and surprised at some of the selfishness in this thread. This is the right thing to do. 

Cancelling a day of sports is going to do nothing to fix this. This isnt a sports issue its a World issue. 

Everyone who is pro cancelling games, what ya gonna do tonight now...have a pow wow phone conference with all your friends to discuss whats wrong and come up with creative ideas how to solve it...Fcuk no you wont! Your life will go on as usual instead, just watch a movies, get even more drunk as you dont have a game to focus on or go swimming and enjoy the great summer weather.

Wish I was an old &^@# and or already dead when $&!# like this gets blown out of proportion. This isnt new people and it wont go away tomorrow when you wake up...