The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

6 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I've heard people saying oh he was told to go. He broke up a fight. Everything was over and police just shot him.. I don't see that all in the video. There is screaming and shouting and what appears to be fighting amongst him and police and he just ignores police and tries to leave seconds after this skirmish...and they are immediately on him and he is not listening. 

He did not break up a fight. That is what the media wants you to believe. There were multiple warrants out for his arrest for third degree sexual assault and domestic violence. He allegedly was with a woman who he is not supposed to be in contact with and he stole her keys which is why the police were initially called. 

Not saying he deserved to get shot in the back however more discussion needs to be placed on listening to police officers’ instructions so this doesn’t happen but hey, he knew what he was doing due to his warrants. 

Also just because a white officer shoots a black man doesn’t mean the officer’s racist. PROVE that he/she is with facts instead of just throwing that word out there. 

Am I still allowed to say Go Canucks Go!?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Cancelling a day of sports is going to do nothing to fix this. This isnt a sports issue its a World issue. 

Everyone who is pro cancelling games, what ya gonna do tonight now...have a pow wow phone conference with all your friends to discuss whats wrong and come up with creative ideas how to solve it...Fcuk no you wont! Your life will go on as usual instead, just watch a movies, get even more drunk as you dont have a game to focus on or go swimming and enjoy the great summer weather.

Wish I was an old &^@# and or already dead when $&!# like this gets blown out of proportion. This isnt new people and it wont go away tomorrow when you wake up...

huh, well guess we should all stop trying to make things right then.......

Just now, Stelar said:

This is just one incident in a looooong line of these incidents.  

Exactly my point though. They are making an incident appear as something it isn't to peddle an agenda.. this is not George Floyd. They are making it appear as if it is and if you actually watch the video you can see it's not. Like look it happened again! and they are hoping you don't look or are afraid to open you mouth and be like um... this isn't George Floyd.. What are we doing here...

8 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If this was another George Floyd case then there would be cause to protest but this is just someone with a narrative peddling an agenda making something appear as something it isn't. Watch the video read the report from the police.. What people say happened isn't what actually went down. 

And shows like 650 have already gone full steam ahead before actually discussing this . 

Would you reach into that car with a guy that had just been tasered,  has a knife on his floorboard ( which actually looked like he might have been reaching for in the video), and little kids in the car? Like getting in a high speed chase with an armed man that had just been tasered and resist arrest isnt putting their lives at risk? Nobody now in the media will discuss this because of how far in they went on it being a racist officer before waiting for the facts .

This needs to be talked about if we are actually going to protect police officers , and black lives at the same time.

Maybe that wasnt the case either , but it needs to be considered. 

Edited by cuporbust

26 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I've seen the video and this is nothing like George Floyd. Did he deserve to get shot? Idk. But he resisted arrest. He was tasered. He ignored police and tried to get back in his car.. What do you expect to happen? You get in a fight with police who are called to the scene because of you and then reach into your car? honestly Wtf do you think is going to happen? They are complaining that his kids were in the car.. then why are you resisting arrest? I see no comparison to the George Floyd murder. 

They shot him 7x in the back. There are several things they could have done differently in this situation than that.  He shouldn't have turned and walked to his car but 7 shots in the back while 3 cops were there? It is still an abhorrent over escalation of force. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Great for them but I find that hard to believe.

That meant they had a 6 minute conversation 50 times? That conversation should be longer than 6 minutes?

Regardless racism is terrible.

A conference call one would assume... 

25 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

So which racist policies remain so we can set a goal? The biggest issue with this stuff is nobody has come to the table with a reasonable solution. 

Get rid of police - outrageous

Give your house to a minority - outrageous

Loot - outrageous

Give reparations - ask Derek Sanderson what happens when you are given money with no direction

Actually, there are many racist policies that remain, and I do think there are lots of hard-working people working to dismantle these policies. But mainstream media outlets are obsessed with focusing on more sensationalist topics because quite frankly that is what their consumers tend to watch/click on.

For starters, voter suppression is still a big deal (especially in the South). Also, school funding needs to be restructured - relying on property tax is inherently inequitable. The overpolicing of poor neighborhoods, unfair bail laws, and disproportionate sentencing of African Americans is a real problem that leaves many families broken. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, WZRD said:

He did not break up a fight. That is what the media wants you to believe. There were multiple warrants out for his arrest for third degree sexual assault and domestic violence. He allegedly was with a woman who he is not supposed to be in contact with and he stole her keys which is why the police were initially called. 

Not saying he deserved to get shot in the back however more discussion needs to be placed on listening to police officers’ instructions so this doesn’t happen but hey, he knew what he was doing due to his warrants. 

Also just because a white officer shoots a black man doesn’t mean the officer’s racist. PROVE that he/she is with facts instead of just throwing that word out there. 

Am I still allowed to say Go Canucks Go!?

I don't know the specifics I am just going off what I saw in the video and few reports from police and based what I read online... I don't see what people are protesting for.. Nobody stopped to fact check or watch the video.. 

Edited by peaches5

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Don't forget Vegas gets the extra day of rest too. 

I guess this is just a sign of support, for the NBA players taking another stand, or kneel, I'm so confused.  . 

Vegas didn't block 40 shots. 

9 minutes ago, wloutet said:

One thing that a lot of Canadians might not know is that, in the USA, the school funding is done district by district. So, if your district is in a poor area, then you may get less money per student (sometimes by far), than the white richer district only a few blocks or miles away. In BC, we try to even it out a bit more, so the level of teaching, curriculum, and equipment is more even.

Right. I'm a former public school teacher and school funding in the US is embarrassing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stelar said:

huh, well guess we should all stop trying to make things right then.......

Well Montrezl Harrell of the Clippers called Luka Doncic a b*tch *ss white boy but the NBA and his peers didn’t make a peep for that, which occurred only a few days ago. Now I wonder what would’ve happened if it was a slur coming out of Doncic’s mouth. 

Edited by WZRD
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

They shot him 7x in the back. There are several things they could have done differently in this situation than that.  He shouldn't have turned and walked to his car but 7 shots in the back while 3 cops were there? It is still an abhorrent over escalation of force. 

Cops are trained to empty their clips not to shoot one bullet and with adrenaline in a situation where a man was just tasered and kept moving shooting 7 rounds is not really that much.

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Cancelling a day of sports is going to do nothing to fix this. This isnt a sports issue its a World issue. 

Everyone who is pro cancelling games, what ya gonna do tonight now...have a pow wow phone conference with all your friends to discuss whats wrong and come up with creative ideas how to solve it...Fcuk no you wont! Your life will go on as usual instead, just watch a movies, get even more drunk as you dont have a game to focus on or go swimming and enjoy the great summer weather.

Wish I was an old &^@# and or already dead when $&!# like this gets blown out of proportion. This isnt new people and it wont go away tomorrow when you wake up...

You miss the entire point of this. It's not to fix the issue but to show solidarity. 

But yeah, let’s complain from the comfort of our homes that we won’t be able to crack a beer open and spend our Thursday night watching hockey. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2