The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

5 minutes ago, Roberts said:

it wasn't just 7 shots, he resisted arrest, resisted being tasered, then opened his car and reached for a knife.

Perhaps he did or not. Maybe cops made it up. We can wait for the body cam footage.  No witness or official reports said he held a knife. 

But getting shot 7 times in the back sure doesn't sound like anyone was in danger.  We should hold officers to higher standards. 

The whole violent culture is effed up. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Don't you remember the great Race War of 2020 when hockey was cancelled for months due to Covid? 

What's another day guys. Nobody is saying these (apparent) cancellations will solve racism - that's a ridiculous straw man and over-simplification. This also isn't about a singular incident. It's about bringing attention to a massive issue, showing support, and sparking discussion. 

Even with much discussion going on, it will not solve anything.  There will always be racial injustice and will not suddenly stop the racism overnight.  We have tried in  the past for years and years and nothing changed even with civil discussions from MLK days to now.  It has been 50 years of discussion about this issue.  I would bet you that it will be ongoing for a long while.  You cannot force racism or racial injustice to end.  There are still lots of them around.  

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

This is hockey talk  it is talk about humanity and is what any decent person would want to talk about....like Stecher (quote below)

I got an idea why not keep your profanity out of this forum....

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, Vancouver Canucks defenceman Troy Stecher was asked if he had seen the graphic video and what his reaction was to the incident.

“Personally I haven’t seen the video, I’ve heard all about the context and the incident,” he said. “It’s heart-wrenching, it’s disgusting. Just like anything in life as a team, we need to come together and we need change, and this is direct evidence of that. Thoughts and prayers are obviously with his family and that community.”

END QUOTE

The whole world needs to speak up and keep speaking up in any forum available to do that...!!!!!!!!!

This is a GDT - nobody on this forum isn’t aware of what’s going on.  And there are a lot of threads covering current events.   I agree with Silky Mitts, you can’t leave your house or turn on the TV or computer without getting bombarded with current events these days - no point in further cluttering up this site when there is plenty of folks willing and ready to discuss and engage on different threads on this forum.   Opinions  are like asshxles everyone has one.  That’s mine. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, EddieVedder said:

I was born and raised in North Vancouver as a minority.  I admit, I was fortunate that I did not experience anywhere near as much racism as those in the USA do, but I have learned well enough to understand that the only way we are going to make a dent in racism is to educate children at a grassroots level.  It all comes down to education.  Cancelling a sporting event, or postponing a few hockey games will have zero effect.  What you learn when you're young is what sticks with you into your teens and adulthood.  If the world wants to get serious about this, then train teachers how to teach students to have empathy, compassion, integrity.  It all comes down the education system.  

But the powers that be and in control is all based on $$.

When you start impacting someone's bottom line, they tend to listen.  And take action.

I do agree...it starts at home, with how we raise our children.  But, beyond that, they get out there in the big bad world and so it's up to society to dictate what's acceptable/not.  This movement is all about changing the yardsticks in that.  And cancelling games that bring in big revenue will make some more inclined to take action and make changes that we, the average Joes out there, aren't in a position to.

3 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

It brings attention to the matter and is a major voice that a lot of people can hear. A lot of kids look up to these players and if they’re making this statement then yes it does make a difference.

That's all it does - bring attention. That doesn't mean it helps. We've been bringing attention to the matter since forever and it continually happens. Obviously this status quo of 'symbolic gestures' doesn't help. 

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Are you them?

If not, please don't speak for them.

Cough...

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I was born and raised in North Vancouver as a minority.  I admit, I was fortunate that I did not experience anywhere near as much racism as those in the USA do, but I have learned well enough to understand that the only way we are going to make a dent in racism is to educate children at a grassroots level.  It all comes down to education.  Cancelling a sporting event, or postponing a few hockey games will have zero effect.  What you learn when you're young is what sticks with you into your teens and adulthood.  If the world wants to get serious about this, then train teachers how to teach students to have empathy, compassion, integrity.  It all comes down the education system.  

Just now, IBatch said:

This is a GDT - nobody on this forum isn’t aware of what’s going on.  And there are a lot of threads covering current events.   I agree with Silky Mitts, you can’t leave your house or turn on the TV or computer without getting bombarded with current events these days - no point in further cluttering up this site when there is plenty of folks willing and ready to discuss and engage on different threads on this forum.   Opinions  are like asshxles everyone has one.  That’s mine. 

I think the gist of it is, though, that if it disrupts the conversations, it's more effective.  

Rather than being background murmur that can be tuned out....we're being tuned in.  

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Everyone agrees that racism is wrong, but blindly following the growing political culture as to appear “not racist” is cowardly. And too assume this incident happened out of hate simply because the victim is black.. well it leads into a very toxic power dynamic where people are allowed to do whatever they want based of skin colour and will be celebrated based purely of that.. we need facts we need evidence we need proof that this is a racial motivated crime against civil rights. It cannot simply be - “he was black, they were racist” 

Find this whole scenario very demeaning and degrading to everyone involved 

Since when did the media need facts or proof? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, coolboarder said:

Even with much discussion going on, it will not solve anything.  There will always be racial injustice and will not suddenly stop the racism overnight.  We have tried in  the past for years and years and nothing changed even with civil discussions from MLK days to now.  It has been 50 years of discussion about this issue.  I would bet you that it will be ongoing for a long while.  You cannot force racism or racial injustice to end.  There are still lots of them around.  

Actually, this time is different compared to decades ago. Look at the protests and marches, you see many more whites and non blacks joining the cause. There is progress. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I don't think putting more responsibility on teachers' plates is the answer. They already get tasked with solving all of society's problems and don't get the support they need to do it. It's one of the reasons I quit the profession.

2 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I can understand your feeling, but this is a terrible defeatist attitude. Why do anything? Why try to change anything? 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Are you? People need to get off the &^@#ing internet. This is all getting blown out of proportion. It's drink o clock, later cdc!

No.  But I can stand with them.

Blown out of proportion?  You have a tipping point here, and it's time to understand that we are all entitled to the same basic treatment/freedoms as human beings.  If you feel it's not important doesn't mean I have to.