The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

13 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Man some people on this board :picard: they’re postponing for a day or two in solidarity with a movement to fight against racism, and people are upset about that? That’s insane. At least they’re trying to do something instead of just ignoring and continuing on like nothing's happening. The fact people are actually upset about postponing for a day or 2 is mind blowing. 

So the players are being permitted to leave the bubbles and travel to US cities to join the protesters, then return and resume play in 2 days?

Of course not.  So their "solidarity protest" is really a meaningless gesture. They are not "boycotting" games, just rescheduling. If they feel that strongly, let them pack their bags, leave the bubble and abandon their dream. Oh, wait, Kane and Dumba aren't in a bubble.

It's easy taking the moral high ground when it costs nothing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

If true that's fantastic, and I hope it's something the community here can rally behind and support. 

Nux needed the break ;)

Kidding aside, good on them to stand together. 

It is pro sports. They have lot of eyes on them.  This stance is causing all of us to talk about this, which is helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Again, it's not about this one shooting. It's a systemic issue that needs to be addressed (by everyone). 

Well tell that to the officer who s life is likely over because of this regardless. You cant just group it all together and ignore the real story just because there is a bigger issue at hand. This will breed fear and hate , not change .

Edited by cuporbust

13 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Police are trained to empty a clip into the body, even highly trained marksmen. 

there are multiple reasons

- to avoid missing

-to avoid hitting someone else

- to ensure the threat is removed 

- for their safety and their collegues 

im not saying I agree with shooting and police being armed (im from the UK) but unless you are watching Hollywood/Netflix programs cops do not go for single shot kills or head shots etc. 

If you pull the trigger you mean it and empty the clip 

Good to know. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Yes, but at what cost?  Cities burned down, looting, violence do not solve anything as it will turn off majority of American people and resentment lingering for those who owns any property.  Even blacks are speaking out and condemn the looting, rioting, etc.  Yet they don't stop doing that.  

I must've missed the news when cities burned down. Good to know property value trumps human rights though. The vast majority of protests have been peaceful and almost none of the violence has been attributed to protesters. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Googlie said:

So the players are being permitted to leave the bubbles and travel to US cities to join the protesters, then return and resume play in 2 days?

Of course not.  So their "solidarity protest" is really a meaningless gesture. They are not "boycotting" games, just rescheduling. If they feel that strongly, let them pack their bags, leave the bubble and abandon their dream. Oh, wait, Kane and Dumba aren't in a bubble.

It's easy taking the moral high ground when it costs nothing.

I haven't heard anything about NHL players leaving the bubble. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

I must've missed the news when cities burned down. Good to know property value trumps human rights though. The vast majority of protests have been peaceful and almost none of the violence has been attributed to protesters. 

I thought one of the leaders of BLM said the looting was justified ?  In Chicago specifically..

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Well tell that to the officer who s life is likely over because of this regardless. You cant just group it all together and ignore the real story just because there is a bigger issue at hand. This will breed fear and hate , not change .

I'm sure he can find a new job more suited to his abilities.  

9 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Again, it's not about this one shooting. It's a systemic issue that needs to be addressed (by everyone). 

If the facts dont come to the forefront,  this will also put lives at risk if officers are now afraid to defend themselves even if they are in the right. Was this officer in the right ?? I don't know because the facts are not being talked about enough. They need to know the facts will be presented properly of they end up in a situation like this .

Edited by cuporbust

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm proud of them.

I support their decision.

And I would have supported their decision had they decided to play.  For the simple reason - that enough has always, already been enough.  They 'could' have boycotted well before this point - but each in their own time.   

We humans have larger problems than viruses - we have deeper infections inflicted on ourselves = ideology/ideologies - not just 'white' people - but almost all people(s).

I will say this - I think the Kelly Hrudeys and Elliotte Friedmans, etc - are insincere.  They just wanted this to stop because they couldn't bear watching the Canucks win.  It's the same old conspiracy - they precipitated this to pre-empt the Canucks road to the Cup.  So disappointing.

just to be clear...../s.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spliced said:

What a load of crap. Play the freaking games. This is so stupid.

They are kowtowing to bullies and abusers. Sickening and really it's a human rights abuse. Gross.

I would love to know how a postponed game is a human rights abuse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2