The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

6 minutes ago, kingfreako said:

That is absolutely horrific. 

But it isn't relevant to the discussion because that poor child was not killed by a cop, and police brutality is what this whole thing is about.

its relevant cause a black person killed a white kid, and nothing was done or said , the point is BLM movement want change, but they also need to change...cant go around killing people , and expect change for themselves.

As for the NHL postponing, i understand why, since the other leagues did it, and if the NHL didnt, than all eyes would be on them, pressure was high.....just hope its only for 1 game and not longer

10 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I am all for Black Lives Matter, but cancelling hockey games will NOT help the problem it will only make it worse. Want proof? Look no further than this thread, or facebook, or twitter. Everyone is fighting and angry. What BLM needs to understand is CHANGE WILL NOT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT. It takes decades and centuries even for true change to take place. Also, this has nothing to do with the police. It is a systemic problem. Black people shoot black people, black cops shoot black people, white cops shoot white people. The real problem is how many times I say to myself "If that person was white, they would have not been treated like that". Society is guilty of look at black people as more dangerous than white people. If you want someone to blame, blame the media. For years they fear mongered the public every night telling us how dangerous black people were. Now they want to pretend they never had anything to do with it. Now they go the other way and only report the things that inflame the situation. They don't report stuff like this guy had a warrant for his arrest out for sexual assault and that the officer who shot him 7 times thought he was reaching for a knife in the car (which was found in the vehicle). Am I saying it is justified? No. But the media won't tell you those things you need to really search for them. The media has an agenda here and it is to stir stuff up as much as possible so they get ratings.

The opposite is true.  Media can have their agenda. But players in many pro sports started this.  NHL players are just another league. 

Many of us who didn't care about the issues are now debating this, raising awareness.   If they played on, most of us will not think more about this issue. 

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

I must've missed the news when cities burned down. Good to know property value trumps human rights though. The vast majority of protests have been peaceful and almost none of the violence has been attributed to protesters. 

Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, NYC as one of examples in last few months since George Floyd incident.  Portland was the epicentre of the rioting where Mayor and the state governor allowed this to keep going and going for over 2 months.  There were attempt to burn down the police department in Portland.  

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

The media certainly has an effect, but blaming the media entirely is a bit of a cop-out. Didn't you say it was a systemic problem? 

I think blaming anyone is exactly the wrong thing to do. If there is anyone to blame for this, they are long gone and dead now. We are left to pick up the pieces. I don't blame the media for the situation we are in but I do blame them for inflaming it. The media has all the power here. How they choose to report things influences everything. Fortunately, their influence has become less of a factor with things like twitter but it is still a huge part of it.

All I know is we have a long ways to go as a society, as a species, as a planet. Talking about Black Lives Matter is only one issue. There are so many others. Like Indigenous Lives Matter. Or Hispanic Lives Matter. Hispanics make up 18% of the US population (more than blacks), and are often treated much worse than blacks, and yet it is accepted because many of them are there "illegally". What about Disabled Lives Matter. Or "All Lives Matter", in the sense of... not white people... but, literally ALL LIVES, like... poor children dying overseas. These NHL players are making millions of dollars a year, and some of them drive luxury cars, own many homes, wear $5,000 suits, etc. Yet people around the world starve to death, don't have clean drinking water, or medicine. I am all for Black Lives Matter, but I would prefer it if it were less targeted and instead was something like "NMD" "No More Discrimination", something which covers everyone who is dumped and discriminated against. United we stand divided we fall.

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

George Carlin talked about how stupid the average person is and then realizing that half of all people are even stupider than that. The short-sightedness on this board really helps this quote ring true. 

It isn't about cancelling a hockey game to end racism the next day. It is about players recognizing that they play for wealthy owners. Owners that have the power to make changes that even multi-millionaires cannot institute. The players are leveraging their power to get owners to put pressure on legislators to make change. By postponing games for two days the players are showing owners that they do have the ability to organize and work collectively, and that is enough of a shot across the bow to make owners take their players' actions seriously. For example, the players have already placed pressure on owners to use stadiums to act as polling stations so that attempts at suppressing voter turnout can end in the United States. 

Great. In my opinion if you are going to postpone a game you should have a goal for why. Like the polling station example, or this time maybe you get more money to get inner city kids into hockey.

What is the reason for it, what is the goal, accomplish it, then it helps.

Postponing just for awareness isnt enough. For me. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Vintage 1

Just now, coolboarder said:

Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, NYC as one of examples in last few months since George Floyd incident.  Portland was the epicentre of the rioting where Mayor and the state governor allowed this to keep going and going for over 2 months.  There were attempt to burn down the police department in Portland.  

Yes, burned to the ground. It's a shame, I was hoping to visit NYC someday. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

The opposite is true.  Media can have their agenda. But players in many pro sports started this.  NHL players are just another league. 

Many of us who didn't care about the issues are now debating this, raising awareness.   If they played on, most of us will not think more about this issue. 

True. But it's s also causing more separation than unification in many cases. 

Edited by rekker

I'm glad we postponed ...

Canucks had tough physical series vs Minny and Blues.

Myers and Toffoli get more time to recover especially Myers.. 

The team blocked 40 shots last game. Nice to get some extra rest to heal..

Vegas had a long rest before round 2 started Canucks only had 48hrs..

Bottom line we definitely benefit from this extra rest and we'll gladly take it.. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, spliced said:

What a load of crap. Play the freaking games. This is so stupid.

They are kowtowing to bullies and abusers. Sickening and really it's a human rights abuse. Gross.

Or, they made their own decisions as men. You have no evidence to suggest that this wasn't the case. You just want it to be true so that your own values aren't contradicted. Instead, you're on a team's website crying and telling them to play. 

• Cheers 1

Fully support anti-racist politics but don't think sport is where the solutions need to come from.  It's not about role models but changing the conditions people live in, which will ultimately change racial prejudices.  But I do get that people like Fred Van Vleet and Kawhi who lost their fathers as kids can be triggered by the crazy sh!t that cops continue to do.  Also that they might not feel like entertaining the rest of us or maintaining a sense of normality when they feel like their people are under attack.  So yeah, I'd like there to be a game today but accept that if we don't develop some real solutions to these problems we're going to have to live with some interruptions, false or merely symbolic measures, and straight-up virtue signalling.  Sucks, but that's where we are.

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

So the players are being permitted to leave the bubbles and travel to US cities to join the protesters, then return and resume play in 2 days?

Of course not.  So their "solidarity protest" is really a meaningless gesture. They are not "boycotting" games, just rescheduling. If they feel that strongly, let them pack their bags, leave the bubble and abandon their dream. Oh, wait, Kane and Dumba aren't in a bubble.

It's easy taking the moral high ground when it costs nothing.

And it’s even easier to just ignore it all together when you’re not being affected in any way whatsoever. Which is precisely why this I believe this does help. But you’re entitled to your opinion. It’s just a hockey game, since when did our entertainment begin meaning more than other people’s rights and lives.

• Thanks 1

When people start crying about how millionaires should just shut up and go to work, all they're doing is outing themselves as people too untalented to have enough value at work for their employer to care about how they feel. Guess what? When you are extremely talented at the one thing you're paid to do, and if nobody can do it better, you get some leverage. You can use that leverage to try and do the things that you feel are right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

One black man took a knee at a football game during the anthem and every major media news outlet covered it. It was front page everywhere.

If a white woman gets stabbed to death by a group of black people it likely won't make the front page.

That is called agenda, isn't it? Am I wrong?

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, x00x said:

OK that is sad.

But ...

#1 - it's not a Police Officer who killed the boy (as to the problem that BLM is trying to shed a light on ... Police misconduct towards black people)

#2 - the criminal should be put to death (for killing a young innocent boy)...that's just my opinion and how I feel about the subject.

#3 - the racial divide has been stirring since forever and the current POTUS has not tried to calm down the situation (at least not effectively enough)

#4 - lax gun laws in the USA may be a problem (not certain how the killer obtained his gun)

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Bottom line we definitely benefit from this extra rest and we'll gladly take it.. 

This, real good news for the Canucks. Reminiscent of 94 when game seven against the Rangers was delayed. It bought a beat down Rangers team another days rest. Stupid concert probably cost us a cup. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well tell that to the officer who s life is likely over because of this regardless. You cant just group it all together and ignore the real story just because there is a bigger issue at hand. This will breed fear and hate , not change .

The whole issue gets dumbed down so people don't have to think to hard about what actually is happening. Easy fix to blame the cop for being trigger happy, a nazi or racist. The vast majority of people have no idea what cops have to go thru each day when they are out on the beat. They have no idea what the training tells the cop to do in scenarios like this. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT MISTAKES CANNOT BE MADE. What is happening in the USA now is a political exploitation of incidences like this one. Do the investigation, make it transparent and then publicize the results. Do not tolerate violent demonstrations and looting.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Can't help but think of this when I read that the Canucks lead the way in the decision to postpone.

I know that's kind of a lousy thing to think but It really could help for our guys to get some healing time.

• Vintage 2