The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

No way they sacrifice the Saturday night ratings.... :ph34r:

I know you're on the other side of the argument to me, but your point is exactly why the players' decision can be effective. Owners are collectively losing billions in revenue due to Covid. They have made a massive and extraordinarily well organized/implemented strategy to bring hockey back. They didn't go through all of this just to make fans happy. They did this to try and recoup their losses as much as possible. Jeremy Jacobs is probably $&!#ting himself with rage (or just general old age) at the fact he is going to lose money... and that a cancellation of Satuday's game would be even more catastrophic. 

You aren't going to appeal to Jacobs' decency as a human being to get him to call the Governor of Massachusetts and demand changes in X, Y, and Z. But, if you start taking away his ability to own only two dozen rather than three dozen summer homes, then maybe that will be enough to make him make the business decision of appeasing players by forcing those in political office/controlling state institutions to make changes that deal with systemic racism. 

2 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Still no actual word from the NHL on the gameplan. They're quickly falling into the NBA's problem of yesterday. 

I would assume The sensible things is just keep the same schedule and tag an extra game on the end for game 7 if needed. Bearing in mind they already condensed the gap between the series so they are not actually pushing it out of the original time line by doing it 

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Imagine being so soft that discussions of race upset your ability for peace. 

So in the history of mankind (or is that gender neutral) there has never been an instance where a black man hasn't killed a white man? where is the outrage? I can careless about the game ...was gonna be out anyways, But what is this going to accomplish? I'll wait (Kat Williams voice)

Edited by nux4lyfe
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

Yes, everyone knows all lives matter, that's not the point. 

Black people in the US (and Canada) have VERY mixed results listening to police instructions, and the instructions themselves often change based on race. That's the point. 

They don't have mixed results when they don't listen to police instruction. 

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

I would assume The sensible things is just keep the same schedule and tag an extra game on the end for game 7 if needed. Bearing in mind they already condensed the gap between the series so they are not actually pushing it out of the original time line by doing it 

I was more speaking to if they're doing a 1 or 2 day pause. I can't imagine Kane or Dumba intended for this to keep fans hostage.

However, keeping the schedule the same actually creates a balance problem as suddenly the Flyers and Islanders have one fewer back to back on their schedule.

7 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I mean yeah, look at how many people are talking about it right now. It’s clear that it’s getting a message across. It’s 1 day man, just watch a movie. 

You're missing the point I am trying to make (or maybe I am not making it very well) .......

The players are "getting a message across" without their being inconvenienced in the slightest way.  In fact, as some have mentioned, they benefit by another day's rest.

But if, for example,  Horvat had said "I am leaving the bubble and going to Atlanta (or Memphis, Seattle, wherever) to join with the protesters and show solidarity with those fighting against racism" the message would be that much more powerful and would have all of Canada, not just Vancouver, talking about it.

But as I said, it's easy taking the moral high ground when it costs nothing

16 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Mods, lock this up as it's not doing anything to further any responsible dialogue. I'm frankly disappointed in the fanbase on this threads' inability to remove their own selfish motives. At the end of the day, this is a game that we are privileged to watch and it's postponement is a sobering reminder.

Agree or not everyone is entitled to a voice. Saying lock it up because not everyone agrees is not how our country works.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

So in the history of mankind (or is that gender neutral) there has never been an instance where a white man hasn't killed a black man? where is the outrage? I can careless about the game ...was gonna be out anyways, But what is this going to accomplish? I'll wait (Kat Williams voice)

I've already posted what this will accomplish. You don't seem interested in reading anybody's opinion that might change your own, because that would require effort and inconvenience and those two things seem very difficult for you. 

It isn't about cancelling a hockey game to end racism the next day. It is about players recognizing that they play for wealthy owners. Owners that have the power to make changes that even multi-millionaires cannot institute. The players are leveraging their power to get owners to put pressure on legislators to make change. By postponing games for two days the players are showing owners that they do have the ability to organize and work collectively, and that is enough of a shot across the bow to make owners take their players' actions seriously. For example, the players have already placed pressure on owners to use stadiums to act as polling stations so that attempts at suppressing voter turnout can end in the United States.

Edited by Down by the River

2 minutes ago, Iron_Gland said:

That's not really a 'Gotcha' moment. When people come to a point where they see no future for themselves or their kids, where the government simply does not care about you, when you've been systematically put in ghettos which leaves you behind everyone else, where unless you have superior athletic abilities you probably won't be given an education that will give you a job, where you can be shot by the police for walking the wrong way, then yeah, screw Macy's or Forever 21. You need to be heard and sometimes smashing windows is the only way you can get the frustration out.

If you think that's stupid, and peaceful protests should be the only way to go, tell that to the natives that have been peacefully protesting forever about 4000 (FOUR THOUSAND!) missing women in northern communities. Guess what, nothing gets done. It doesn't effect the elites or media in anyway, so they can protest all they want, "peacefully", 'over there'. Look at how many changes came from the recent protests.

I'm awful at explaining things, this guy does it much better,

Basically the authorities and media have been downplaying the 'riot' aspect of 'protests' since the 40's because they don't want the common man to ask the question 'why are they doing this?'. And I'm not talking about the Vancouver riots that were dumb, I'm talking about actual protests for equality and rights and freedom. If people start to see why these people are rioting, more and more people will see their point.

I know I'm wording this poorly, but the video will make more sense than I do.

I really do empathize with people who grow up in an endless cycle of poverty - it is not their choice. I don't think violence or looting is a solution in any way shape or form. Black people need to hold other black people accountable too that are only further perpetuating the negative stereotype.

America had a black president for 8 years - I am probably speaking out of ignorance but that alone seems an indication that the systemic issues down there improved in recent decades. He had ample time to tackle the race issue, holding two super majorities when first elected, if he was unable then what can be done ? I would rather the outrage be placed on politicians that have been serving for decades rather then generalize some tragic incidents (often negligent, inexcusable) to the overall police force in north america.. 

Do you think Canada would (will) elect an Aboriginal PM ?   Since people keep comparing the two demographics it seemed an interesting thought

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Well that’s settles it. Who knew it was so simple? 

Yep.

lets not talk about how in the USA debt can land you in actual prison- and that police forces actively comb areas of deprivation looking for easy scores - some one gets a fine, can not afford to pay it. It escalates up and up and they could be incarcerated over a blown light in a car, in some districts for putting up the wrong type of curtains etc. 

police is a key component of it, but society is warped in The USA. Colorado is a huge example of prison for profit. Go dog into some of the records on the number of people incarcerated there, it’s sickening 

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think the gist of it is, though, that if it disrupts the conversations, it's more effective.  

Rather than being background murmur that can be tuned out....we're being tuned in.  

It’s all good.  I’m sure once the game gets on hockey talk will take over .. and get that folks need to vent and that it’s a crucial issue ...

1 minute ago, Qwags said:

Kap kneels for the anthem:

Racists: No, that'll change nothing. You're being disrespectful. Do something else.

Players cancel the games:

Racists: Wait, no.

You guys don't even want them to protest. Sports aren't your safe space, and the players are people too. So many users on here have been moving the goalposts, it's disheartening.

You refuse to acknowledge or disregard those peacefully protesting, so what other choice do they have? 

100% this. Riots happen and everyone gets pissed saying they want peaceful protests, peaceful protests happen and the same people are like “hey you can’t do that”.

This is a form of peaceful protest and people are still upset about it because they don’t get their 3 hours of entertainment for the evening. What a joke.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Is this setting the standard for the future.

Every time  an injustice is done to bring awareness we take a day off.

more awareness could reach more people If the  leagues used some if there Adverting to promote awareness to the issues at hand. 
Young minds that will shape the future would see the messages of equality for all.And see the players they look up to speaking up not sitting out. 
i don’t see any value in postponing games equates to Walmart workers saying we’re not working today to support BLM and injustice. 
the message gets lost and manipulated And I think it actually sets a bad precedent for our youth. 
And to really fuel the fire I think the NHL is just caving to media/social pressure more that them actually believing this is the right coarse of action. 
If they thought it was the right thing to do they (The players) would have postponed last nights games....

• Like 1