The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I know you're on the other side of the argument to me, but your point is exactly why the players' decision can be effective. Owners are collectively losing billions in revenue due to Covid. They have made a massive and extraordinarily well organized/implemented strategy to bring hockey back. They didn't go through all of this just to make fans happy. They did this to try and recoup their losses as much as possible. Jeremy Jacobs is probably $&!#ting himself with rage (or just general old age) at the fact he is going to lose money... and that a cancellation of Satuday's game would be even more catastrophic. 

You aren't going to appeal to Jacobs' decency as a human being to get him to call the Governor of Massachusetts and demand changes in X, Y, and Z. But, if you start taking away his ability to own only two dozen rather than three dozen summer homes, then maybe that will be enough to make him make the business decision of appeasing players by forcing those in political office/controlling state institutions to make changes that deal with systemic racism. 

I agree it would be most effective for drawing attention and discussion - so you you think the NHLPA will demand Saturday be included in the boycott ? 

Canucks play the right way. They have since the Sedins started to take over almost 20 years ago. I'm also proud of them for taking this stand, even though, unfortunately, I don't think it will change much, but they are setting a great example and joining the fight. Who knows, maybe they'll take on a few (thousand) more Canucks fans with this stance. We do have a great bunch of players on this team, high character. Good Karma will be with them the rest of the way. :towel: 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, x00x said:

its relevant cause a black person killed a white kid, and nothing was done or said , the point is BLM movement want change, but they also need to change...cant go around killing people , and expect change for themselves.

As for the NHL postponing, i understand why, since the other leagues did it, and if the NHL didnt, than all eyes would be on them, pressure was high.....just hope its only for 1 game and not longer

Definitely a PR move by the nhl mostly Imo, can’t be the only ones to not shut down..

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Yep.

lets not talk about how in the USA debt can land you in actual prison- and that police forces actively comb areas of deprivation looking for easy scores - some one gets a fine, can not afford to pay it. It escalates up and up and they could be incarcerated over a blown light in a car, in some districts for putting up the wrong type of curtains etc. 

police is a key component of it, but society is warped in The USA. Colorado is a huge example of prison for profit. Go dog into some of the records on the number of people incarcerated there, it’s sickening 

A truly warped society. 

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I didn't refuse to acknowledge them, my question was if you are saying his stance is invalidated because of them.

I'm not saying Kane is a saint, we all know he has done some dumb things, perhaps inexcusable, but to say it's unbelievable that he has to push this agenda is wrong. Maybe he is trying to improve his image but I'm not going about punishing people for good deeds and taking a stand for awareness on issues like this.

Your minimizing the fact that this guy has been alleged to have raped women. So he can stand up for his race but women mean nothing? Kane should not be grandstanding anything. Let me guess, you would be ok with Bill Cosby as a spokesperson as well? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chicken. said:

I agree it would be most effective for drawing attention and discussion - so you you think the NHLPA will demand Saturday be included in the boycott ? 

I think the NHLPA will say to owners 'the ball is in your court'. I don't think it would be reasonable for the NHLPA to expect owners to effect immediate change. So, give the owners a timeline, talk about expectations that are reasonable, and so. Then, explain that if the owners do not hold up their end, more severe actions will be taken (e.g., not playing on Saturday night).

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

You're missing the point I am trying to make (or maybe I am not making it very well) .......

The players are "getting a message across" without their being inconvenienced in the slightest way.  In fact, as some have mentioned, they benefit by another day's rest.

But if, for example,  Horvat had said "I am leaving the bubble and going to Atlanta (or Memphis, Seattle, wherever) to join with the protesters and show solidarity with those fighting against racism" the message would be that much more powerful and would have all of Canada, not just Vancouver, talking about it.

But as I said, it's easy taking the moral high ground when it costs nothing

Okay sure I get what you’re saying, but at the same time who is getting inconvenienced right now by them doing this? You? Me? Nope. Nobody but the owners pockets are being inconvenienced. The NHL players are doing the best they can in the situation they’re in and I support it. 

I don’t blame them for not leaving the bubble after the amount of effort and work they put into this.

Edited by Petey40

37 minutes ago, wloutet said:

One thing that a lot of Canadians might not know is that, in the USA, the school funding is done district by district. So, if your district is in a poor area, then you may get less money per student (sometimes by far), than the white richer district only a few blocks or miles away. In BC, we try to even it out a bit more, so the level of teaching, curriculum, and equipment is more even.

Then you have red lining where cities zone and outline poor areas making it hard and near impossible to get bank loans'

4 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

Well, if the NHL shuts down there is always poker. I really got into poker during the last lockout and have only come back to hockey about 5 years ago. It will be easier to let it go this time around.

What could be more exciting than be part of the audience for televised poker?

Hockey just pales in comparison.

:bigblush:

11 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

My point is, ALL lives matter..stop doing crime , Listen to the police instructions and I'm sure everything will work out fine...it has for me at least.

The phrase isn't "Only black lives matter". The phrase is 'Black Lives Matter'. If Black lives don't matter, then 'All lives don't matter'. Which is why what you're saying is dumb. It's like me asking whats 2+2, and you saying "its not 3". While technically right, it also doesn't answer the question.

There are countless black people who have followed police instructions and ended up dead. Breonne Taylor was sleeping in her bed and was shot to death and her killers roam free. Stop watching Fox News, please.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

I think the NHLPA will say to owners 'the ball is in your court'. I don't think it would be reasonable for the NHLPA to expect owners to effect immediate change. So, give the owners a timeline, talk about expectations that are reasonable, and so. Then, explain that if the owners do not hold up their end, more severe actions will be taken (e.g., not playing on Saturday night).

I don't know if the owners, that all likely live very far apart from one another, have the collective clout to demand government policy changes in regards to systemic racism.... 

My thought is they play on Saturday but who knows these days. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm taking a break for a bit, but want to note that this thread can be used to talk about the game, or human rights issues, totally open. Please keep discussion respectful. Nobody has been given a timeout yet, and I hope we can keep it that way. 

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!!!

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

I applaud the mods and admins for keeping this thread open. However, I highly suggest that in doing so, you allow for as much free speech as possible. A high tolerance should be allowed. As the game time approaches tonight and many angry people come on here they will express their views. If posts start getting deleted or censored then that will only cause further damage and accomplish nothing. I would say unless someone is being explicilty racist or posting false stuff it should be allowed to remain. Basically... true progress and true discussion is not always pretty and it will get ugly in here. Let's all try and keep our bias' in check and let people voice their opinions and not judge. Remember, 50 years ago pretty much everyone (including your parents/grandparents) thought being gay was wrong. No one is perfect. Compassion and empathy are not things we are born with they are things we learn. Bottom line... mods.. .admins... please think twice before deleting posts in this thread and only do it if it is absolutely something that needs to be deleted. Thank you.

• Vintage 2

Just now, Iron_Gland said:

The phrase isn't "Only black lives matter". The phrase is 'Black Lives Matter'. If Black lives don't matter, then 'All lives don't matter'. Which is why what you're saying is dumb. It's like me asking whats 2+2, and you saying "its not 3". While technically right, it also doesn't answer the question.

There are countless black people who have followed police instructions and ended up dead. Breonne Taylor was sleeping in her bed and was shot to death and her killers roam free. Stop watching Fox News, please.

1 bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch. I'm sure some people at your place of work are not all angels.

2 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm taking a break for a bit, but want to note that this thread can be used to talk about the game, or human rights issues, totally open. Please keep discussion respectful. Nobody has been given a timeout yet, and I hope we can keep it that way. 

You know what, that sounds like a fantastic plan. Signing off as well till later when I get bored and wanna talk to you guys again.

• Thanks 1