The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

NHL’s lack of solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests ‘out of touch’, say critics

The NHL is being accused by many of doing the bare minimum as it's called out for failing to cancel games in solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests.

things like this are the nightmare of today’s society. Where a good man or company or identity of some kind, can be torn down to rubble over social media in incredible time... 
  • Upvote 1

Just now, nux4lyfe said:

1 bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch. I'm sure some people at your place of work are not all angels.

I don't really understand the motivation for people to say "all lives matter" in response to BLM. Can you help me understand why you feel the need to respond that way? 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's an example someone gave me that kind of highlights where we're at:

If a house is on fire, you don't stand back and say "well, all houses in this neighbourhood matter".

If a fisherman is drowning at sea:   "well, all fishermen matter"

We often support (here) the F cancer mantra.  What if someone says "ALL DISEASES MATTER"?  You see how it can be put into context?

It's not saying black lives matter MORE...it's saying that they should matter EQUALLY.  Right now, that is the focus.

Thanks Deb

It seems like some read that slogan as if the protesters are saying.... Only Black Lives Matter

When what they are saying is .....Black Lives Matter Too

Don't know why that is so difficult to understand.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I applaud the mods and admins for keeping this thread open. However, I highly suggest that in doing so, you allow for as much free speech as possible. A high tolerance should be allowed. As the game time approaches tonight and many angry people come on here they will express their views. If posts start getting deleted or censored then that will only cause further damage and accomplish nothing. I would say unless someone is being explicilty racist or posting false stuff it should be allowed to remain. Basically... true progress and true discussion is not always pretty and it will get ugly in here. Let's all try and keep our bias' in check and let people voice their opinions and not judge. Remember, 50 years ago pretty much everyone (including your parents/grandparents) thought being gay was wrong. No one is perfect. Compassion and empathy are not things we are born with they are things we learn. Bottom line... mods.. .admins... please think twice before deleting posts in this thread and only do it if it is absolutely something that needs to be deleted. Thank you.

By the same token....we check in/out at times here and may miss things.  If you see something that clearly violates the rules, report it so it's flagged and we can attend to it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Iron_Gland said:

The phrase isn't "Only black lives matter". The phrase is 'Black Lives Matter'. If Black lives don't matter, then 'All lives don't matter'. Which is why what you're saying is dumb. It's like me asking whats 2+2, and you saying "its not 3". While technically right, it also doesn't answer the question.

SAying all lives matter is totally fine. 

Picking that as your hill to die on is ridiculous.

People dont like the company "Black Lives Matter" and that's fine. They are pretty radical and their ideas are narrow minded. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, nux4lyfe said:

1 bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch. I'm sure some people at your place of work are not all angels.

That's not the phrase. The phrase is "one bad apple can spoil the bunch". This isn't a one off.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/27/white-supremacists-militias-infiltrate-us-police-report?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Thats from today. There's been systematic racism in the police for decades. All all cops racist and dirty? Of course not. But there's something systematically wrong with them, especially in the US

• Thanks 1

I don't think it was a first & foremost a PR move - because if the only concern was PR the NHL would've cancelled games yesterday. Just look at the backlash they got, they didn't save themselves that. People jumped all over them.

I really like what PK said here. I think the way the NHL players reached out to the HDA today & discussed it as a group showed more than just a hollow or performative jumping on the bandwagon - so to speak - of cancelling. 

7 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm taking a break for a bit, but want to note that this thread can be used to talk about the game, or human rights issues, totally open. Please keep discussion respectful. Nobody has been given a timeout yet, and I hope we can keep it that way. 

See you in 2023

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I would imagine they postpone tomorrow’s games as well. No point in only doing it for half your teams. Plus it creates a potentially unfair advantage.

So looking at the schedule I wonder if they just tack another game on after our Thursday game. That would be 4 in 5 nights though, that’s just asking for injuries.

Just now, Iron_Gland said:

That's not the phrase. The phrase is "one bad apple can spoil the bunch". This isn't a one off.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/27/white-supremacists-militias-infiltrate-us-police-report?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Thats from today. There's been systematic racism in the police for decades. All all cops racist and dirty? Of course not. But there's something systematically wrong with them, especially in the US

Did you know most police officers that are reported are reported by other police officers?

10 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm taking a break for a bit, but want to note that this thread can be used to talk about the game, or human rights issues, totally open. Please keep discussion respectful. Nobody has been given a timeout yet, and I hope we can keep it that way. 

Appreciate that you guys allow this.

Not many places you can go nowadays for legitimate dialogue/discussion. Certainly not Twitter & I know HF shuts down any hint of political topics very quickly.

So thanks for that!

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

I don't really understand the motivation for people to say "all lives matter" in response to BLM. Can you help me understand why you feel the need to respond that way? 

My brother, In Chicago black men die on the daily. Killed by other black men, Why is it only an issue when a white man kills a black man? Why no issue when blacks kill blacks? Who would not follow instructions?

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

For those that may be confused. 

12AB076D-EA7A-4060-AE2A-60C91BA2B25C.jpeg

Unfortunately confusion arises as the phrase "Black Lives Matter" is also the name of a political group/organization that has a variety of views/focus issues  (gun laws, healthcare, environmental)

People mix up talking about the phrase and the group all the time. 99% of people will agree with the phrase that black lives matter, but less will agree with the entire platform of the BLM group.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

It isn't about cancelling a hockey game to end racism the next day. It is about players recognizing that they play for wealthy owners. Owners that have the power to make changes that even multi-millionaires cannot institute. The players are leveraging their power to get owners to put pressure on legislators to make change. By postponing games for two days the players are showing owners that they do have the ability to organize and work collectively, and that is enough of a shot across the bow to make owners take their players' actions seriously. For example, the players have already placed pressure on owners to use stadiums to act as polling stations so that attempts at suppressing voter turnout can end in the United States. 

even cancelling one day of games, allows for time to actually reflect on whats going on, instead of thinking 7 seconds, then puck drop is enough. it disheartens me when I see people trying to deflect the issue but say they support black lives matter, and are just speaking from either white privilege or just plain ignorance

• Like 1