The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

It must be horrible to be a cop going into a domestic.  HOWEVER, they have training/back up/etc. to employ and firing 7 shots just doesn't seem like a reasonable response.  If you have his shirt, wrestle him to the ground and throw cuffs on.  Fire ONE shot to stop him from progressing...maybe in the leg?  Arm?

There's definitely some bad apples, and some with poor training, however the bolded part gets asked fairly often.

From a former officer, there's reasons why they're not trained to aim for the leg.

A leg shot can just as easily kill a person.

Difficult shot to make. Aiming for the torso is an easier target, and less likely to miss and hit a pedestrian.

A leg shot doesn't mean the threat will go down.

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

NHL’s lack of solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests ‘out of touch’, say critics

The NHL is being accused by many of doing the bare minimum as it's called out for failing to cancel games in solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests.

things like this are the nightmare of today’s society. Where a good man or company or identity of some kind, can be torn down to rubble over social media in incredible time... 

More of a message could reach more people with game being played 3+hr With a captive audience. Instead of ED commercials information and understanding for the BLM LGBT and others messages would be far more effective at reaching more people than Simply sitting out. 

leagues are setting themselves up by setting This precedent. 

Edited by Tracksuit

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Unfortunately confusion arises as the phrase "Black Lives Matter" is also the name of a political group/organization that has a variety of views/focus issues  (gun laws, healthcare, environmental)

People mix up talking about the phrase and the group all the time. 99% of people will agree with the phrase that black lives matter, but less will agree with the entire platform of the BLM group.

I always refer to this sign as the best example of what it means. At least to me. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I don't know if the owners, that all likely live very far apart from one another, have the collective clout to demand government policy changes in regards to systemic racism.... 

My thought is they play on Saturday but who knows these days. 

The billionaire club is a small world. They absolutely have the clout to demand government policy. For example, if I'm billionaire Smith, I could choose to have my new food preparation facility built in Massachusetts. This would generate 1,000 jobs in the area. Creating happy people. Creating people that favor voting for the status quo (i.e., the people currently in government). Creating people that pay tax dollars that help support government initiatives/projects. Alternatively, I could say that Massachusetts has failed to respond to my demands for addressing educational reform and therefore I'm going to build this facility in Connecticut instead. Jobs lost, people angry, tax dollars down, officials are not re-elected.

It is time to stop appealing to peoples' sense of humanity because the reality is that making changes that support ending systemic disadvantage also are not in the best interests of people that are already wealthy. The change has to come from hurting the bottom line more than what would occur from making change for the sake of bettering disadvantaged persons.

The structure of schools in the United States is just completely backwards. The poorest communities contribute the least amount in tax dollars resulting in the most poorly funded schools. The cycle will be perpetuated until this type of issue is addressed.

8 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

1 bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch. I'm sure some people at your place of work are not all angels.

One bad apple, when left to rot and fester, DOES spoil the whole bunch. 

7 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

My brother, In Chicago black men die on the daily. Killed by other black men, Why is it only an issue when a white man kills a black man? Why no issue when blacks kill blacks? Who would not follow instructions?

but I asked you what your motivation is. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’ll take a look, but an organization can’t be declared a terrorist organization in its country of origin. 

Yes it can. 

1. terrorist organization - a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals.

a la burning down business, forcing people to raise their fist, attacking people

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Thanks 1

When tragedy hits a community we as a nation stand with them .... From Humboldt strong to manner others. It's the right thing to do and the Canadian.thing to do.

Why all of the sudden are we now drawing a line and saying "some" groups can't also express grief in a similar manner?

Seriously - why,?

I proudly wore my Humboldt strong shirt and put out the old hockey stick ...just like now I will say and acknowledge black lives matter .... Because they do.

I don't need to be told all lives matter ... I already know that. I support groups , communities that face unspeakable tragedy as well as for groups no t afforded the same rights and opportunities .... Again because it's the right thing to do 

Somehow someone set the narritive that if one supports BLM you don't support police and are radicals. This is what fake news really is.

I do.support our police and do support BLM .... And will support those fighting for racial justice.

Good on the Canucks and the NHL ... the world needs more leadership examples of non violent protest 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

John_Carlos,_Tommie_Smith,_Peter_Norman_

This is a powerful image I came across today, from 1968 Olympics.  It sort of encapsulates whats going on today.  The white guy on the podium is the silver medalist Peter Norman from Australia.  His fist isnt raised because it wouldnt have the same  meaning, he protested in his own way by wearing a Human Rights Patch.  The Black athletes, John Carlos and Tommie Smith,  were kicked out of the games after this. The Olympic committee did not take kindly to their actions. If you read the story about these three athletes I think you will find it fascinating.  They remained friends throughout their lives . Recently, Tommie Smith and John Carlos carried Peter Norman's casket at his funeral. They had a bond till the end.

When I saw this image I found it quite powerful.  It made me think of a few things. 

1)What a shame that things havent changed in over 50 years

2)Athletes can find different ways of expressing support.

3)Protest in sport is nothing new.

I agree with points made by different posters in here, posters who seem to have different takes on this issue.  The guy who was shot in the back 7 times.   A known criminal with a violent past.  Not stopping when the police told him to stop.   At what point does the responsibility fall on him for his life's actions and for his actions that day.  Could the cop have taken a different action.  Of course.  But at the same time put yourself in the cops shoes, you are functioning in an environment where everyone is armed and this guy could be reaching for a weapon.  If I read correctly he had a history of assaulting police too.  Its not as cut and dry as some would think in my opinion.  It is beyond me why anyone would want to be a cop in the USA considering their pay and the rampant rate of gun ownership.

On the other hand you have a group of people that have been subjugated and marginalized for centuries (literally) and the deck is stacked against them throughout a multitude of social constructs . These underlying factors, and historical context, which have lead to disproportionate poverty and  blatant inequality have to be taken into account when considering crime and violence in the community.   To put it simply when you have been treated like crap for decades is it surprising that every incident will be magnified and interpreted as yet another assault among the countless other injustices that have been endured.

It also concerns me how people who are against racism can be overwhelmed by groups of people who have no tolerance for anyone even questioning some of their positions.

I dont know how this will be solved.  I just think this issue is much bigger than any game and wont be resolved easily.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

One bad apple, when left to rot and fester, DOES spoil the whole bunch. 

OK, I guess all officers are corrupt, I've had my fair share of run-ins but guess what? I was polite , respectful and eventualy on my way..What dinks eh!?

13 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

SAying all lives matter is totally fine. 

Picking that as your hill to die on is ridiculous.

People dont like the company "Black Lives Matter" and that's fine. They are pretty radical and their ideas are narrow minded. 

If you believe that "all lives matter", then black lives must matter just as much right?    Proclaiming "all lives matter" when clearly black lives matter less to much of the police force, especially in the US, based on statistics of per capita shootings by white officers on black citizens, is a very disingenuous thing to proclaim.

If you really want all lives to matter, then black lives, and brown and all minorities, should also matter just as much. That is all they are saying. That's not "radical" or "narrow minded".  Is that so difficult to comprehend?

Edited by kilgore

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’ll take a look, but an organization can’t be declared a terrorist organization in its country of origin. 

They're rules are to destroy the entire foundation of society.

Why has blm donated 189 million to bernie saunders? He's not black?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

In the U.S. people with money or people with authority always get away with things they shouldnt. I think its time they start being held accountable. But i hate how everyone tries to make this about black vs white. Its more rich vs poor to me. People with money can do whatever they want. How many girls has Bill Clinton settled with? He shouldnt be able to just pay them off he should be in jail. And its just not rich white people. OJ, Jackson, cosby, and even Kobe got away with stuff they shoulnt have. Everyone should play by the same rules!!! If youre a cop and kill somebody in cold blood you should be jailed!

Edited by Jtutino
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, kilgore said:

If you believe that "all lives matter", then black lives must matter just as much right?    Proclaiming "all lives matter" when clearly black lives matter less to much of the police force, especially in the US, based on statistics of per capita shootings by white officers on black citizens, is a very disingenuous thing to proclaim.

If you really want all lives to matter, then black lives, and brown and all minorities, should also matter just as much. That is all they are saying.  Is that so difficult to comprehend?

Creating your own narrative, not what I said at all.

6 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

even cancelling one day of games, allows for time to actually reflect on whats going on, instead of thinking 7 seconds, then puck drop is enough. it disheartens me when I see people trying to deflect the issue but say they support black lives matter, and are just speaking from either white privilege or just plain ignorance

If the games is on tonight, it does not mean we ignore those issues or forget about them.  It also does not mean we do not support them.  If the NHL supports the social justice and keep the game on, it does not mean they lacked action.  They already have showed their part by holding a moment of silence to recognize the significant issue that is ongoing.  It is possible that they cannot afford to pay one extra dollar to the hotels, bubble for an extra day after the postponement.  TV contract has to be honoured.as scheduled for the NHL to get some income from their TV deals.  The NHL is not like NBA where they can afford to postpone their games.  

56 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Smart, way to go Horvat, extra day of recovery for Myers

I’m speechless. That is one positive I just hope we don’t lose momentum. 

55 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

This why I love my team.

I just learned about this 5 minutes ago. I’m still a bit out of the loop on things