The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The billionaire club is a small world. They absolutely have the clout to demand government policy. For example, if I'm billionaire Smith, I could choose to have my new food preparation facility built in Massachusetts. This would generate 1,000 jobs in the area. Creating happy people. Creating people that favor voting for the status quo (i.e., the people currently in government). Creating people that pay tax dollars that help support government initiatives/projects. Alternatively, I could say that Massachusetts has failed to respond to my demands for addressing educational reform and therefore I'm going to build this facility in Connecticut instead. Jobs lost, people angry, tax dollars down, officials are not re-elected.

It is time to stop appealing to peoples' sense of humanity because the reality is that making changes that support ending systemic disadvantage also are not in the best interests of people that are already wealthy. The change has to come from hurting the bottom line more than what would occur from making change for the sake of bettering disadvantaged persons.

The structure of schools in the United States is just completely backwards. The poorest communities contribute the least amount in tax dollars resulting in the most poorly funded schools. The cycle will be perpetuated until this type of issue is addressed.

Fairly small yeah - NHL owners are not the only major players though. Perhaps I am just unable to envision what sort of policy changes (federal, state) would help to 'significantly' curb the systemic racism plaguing the nation down there... the problem is so multi-faceted it would take a PhD thesis to get though all the necessary angles.

Bezos and Gates are worth more than all the NHL owners combined although I suppose they are not forced to gave to their union members' demands

Out of interest... FA comes in at #12 .. and the second line here had me chuckling pretty hard

12: Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini — $3.3 billion

Highest-paid player: Canucks left wing Loui Eriksson is paid $8 million a year.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-23-richest-billionaire-nhl-franchise-owners-2018-3#12-vancouver-canucks-owner-francesco-aquilini-33-billion-12 

10 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

There's definitely some bad apples, and some with poor training, however the bolded part gets asked fairly often.

From a former officer, there's reasons why they're not trained to aim for the leg.

A leg shot can just as easily kill a person.

Difficult shot to make. Aiming for the torso is an easier target, and less likely to miss and hit a pedestrian.

A leg shot doesn't mean the threat will go down.

Hide contents

What was ur opinion on what u saw in the video? Given all the new info on what preceaded the shots and the actual situation,  what's ur take ? Been curious what former or current officers think.

Two children were robbed, raped and tortured for nine hours then buried alive in a graveyard in Stockholm, Sweden this week. It's not the top piece of news because "mostly peaceful protests" in a foreign country is apparently more interesting. It's not the top piece of news because it wasn't swedes who did it.

The world doesn't need to fall into another psyop shutdown over BLM.

2 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

OK, I guess all officers are corrupt, I've had my fair share of run-ins but guess what? I was polite , respectful and eventualy on my way..What dinks eh!?

I've noticed this. The video of Chief Adam from Alberta - the cop was trying to stop him from getting in his truck, and then the Chief got upset and started rampaging a bit, and was then violently tackled. Puffing out your chest to a cop is probably a big no-no. The guy who was shot 7 times, he just ignored the police telling him to stop, and was going to drive off with kids in the backseat. Maybe the person filming that should've said "dude, just do what they say".  

14 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

There's definitely some bad apples, and some with poor training, however the bolded part gets asked fairly often.

From a former officer, there's reasons why they're not trained to aim for the leg.

A leg shot can just as easily kill a person.

Difficult shot to make. Aiming for the torso is an easier target, and less likely to miss and hit a pedestrian.

A leg shot doesn't mean the threat will go down.

Hide contents

Thank you for that.  

Learning as I go here....

I guess the main point is...isn't there a better way (to "apprehend" someone)?  If  you "think" someone "might" have a weapon ... they also may not.  

Again....I applaud (good) cops for doing one of the very toughest jobs there is.  For risking their own lives and rushing TO danger as others rush away from it.  I don't want that message to be lost in all of this (have a cousin married to a good cop).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

We can make it political or not

Let's stick to hockey.  I think this is a good break for Nux to rest up. 

40 blocked shot last game. That's a lot of bruises and pain. 

They will need to have similar effort in game 3 to win.  

Yes, and Markys muscles really need a break. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Yes it can. 

1. terrorist organization - a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals.

a la burning down business, forcing people to raise their fist, attacking people

Do you know anything about American politics?

Here:

"Black Lives Matter is not a terrorist organization nor a terrorist movement, and no responsible source would describe it as such," David Sterman, an international security senior policy analyst at  the New America think tank, told PolitiFact.

Foreign terrorist groups

Black Lives Matter, a domestic group, has not been designated as a terrorist organization on the State Department’s list of foreign terrorist organizations. 

When reviewing potential targets for designation, the department "looks not only at the actual terrorist attacks that a group has carried out, but also at whether the group has engaged in planning and preparations for possible future acts of terrorism or retains the capability and intent to carry out such acts."

"None of those criteria are descriptive of Black Lives Matter," Sterman said.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Thank you for that.  

Learning as I go here....

I guess the main point is...isn't there a better way (to "apprehend" someone)?  If  you "think" someone "might" have a weapon ... they also may not.  

Again....I applaud (good) cops for doing one of the very toughest jobs there is.  For risking their own lives and rushing TO danger as others rush away from it.  I don't want that message to be lost in all of this (have a cousin married to a good cop).

So many cops have died this way, assuming they arent reaching for a weapon when they are. 

I am beating a dead horse here but learn how to interact with police. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Do you know anything about American politics?

Here:

"Black Lives Matter is not a terrorist organization nor a terrorist movement, and no responsible source would describe it as such," David Sterman, an international security senior policy analyst at  the New America think tank, told PolitiFact.

Foreign terrorist groups

Black Lives Matter, a domestic group, has not been designated as a terrorist organization on the State Department’s list of foreign terrorist organizations. 

When reviewing potential targets for designation, the department "looks not only at the actual terrorist attacks that a group has carried out, but also at whether the group has engaged in planning and preparations for possible future acts of terrorism or retains the capability and intent to carry out such acts."

"None of those criteria are descriptive of Black Lives Matter," Sterman said.

The statement claimed you couldn't be a terrorist in your own country, not true.

1 minute ago, Moose Nuckle said:

So many cops have died this way, assuming they arent reaching for a weapon when they are. 

I am beating a dead horse here but learn how to interact with police. 

Did George Floyd not try to when he was saying "I can't breathe"?