The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

22 minutes ago, Roberts said:

in that case, should i create a new GDT thread for the game when that time comes? or would it continue off this thread?

I think it can continue here, may as well go for a page record. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How about his association with Epstein?

Anyways, this isn't just about Jacob Blake. This is a response that follows from the numerous racially motivated or racially influenced attacks and escalations by both cops and civilians.

Are we going to begin calling anyone who ever spoke to Epstein a pedo? I mean I'm on board with outing any and all pedo's, but that seems like a slippery slope, does it not?

2 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Are we going to begin calling anyone who ever spoke to Epstein a pedo? I mean I'm on board with outing any and all pedo's, but that seems like a slippery slope, does it not?

You're the one who called Biden one on much flimsier evidence.:lol: 

But back to the game......delay helps the Canucks as it means a better chance for Myers to get back in the lineup.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

46 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Kudos to them on choosing a name for their organization that generates discussion on an important issue. I just don't really see many substantial solutions being presented.

All Lives Matter seems more like a name/phrase an abortion group would use anyway lol 

really? they've sparked discussions on it all over the world. Seems to me like they are well on their way. 

Well that does suck. I'm gonna be camping if it resumes Saturday. Oh well. I think the NHL and its players had to do this. The optics of being asked by HDA to join other leagues to stand up to racism but not doing so would be very poor. The fact they finalized it so late is bad enough. It makes it look like they had no intention of postponing until last minute.

As others have said, I think the rest helps us more than it helps Vegas. Hopefully Myers is back for game 3.

Edited by kloubek

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The facts don’t lie. 

Less than half the income as 2 parents in the states, more likely to do drugs, commit crime, drop out of school, die... I can keep going. 

that’s not to say it worked for you and certain others but the facts don’t lie in the states. It isn’t a stereotype though, it’s the truth. 

And it really needs to be taken seriously. 

But are there underlying factors that go beyond the "single parent" deal that is only the surface "reason" for this.

Like the stigma that follows that?  That could be removed, with children of single parent families not having to feel shame somehow for statistical information?  Not just the sadness of losing a parent...but what they encounter out there in the world as they're compared to "normal" families.  That it's how we receive them as a society and judge them like somehow they're flawed?

Maybe it's not the single families' issue but more a bigger picture and how we accept one another?  Support one another?  Judge and stereotype.  Affix labels that somehow do put a kid at a disadvantage before they even leave the house?

Maybe the answer isn't to focus on keeping families together (which can be very bad...some learn about another side of their spouse AFTER marriage) and putting more emphasis on creating a society that doesn't judge people so much/easily?  Not seeing "wealth" as something that makes a person "better" than another simply based on bank account and assets.  Understanding that, often, it's the opposite because there's a sense of entitlement involved?  Where the haves feel that the have nots don't belong.

My point is that maybe it's not just having one parent that's the issue.  It's how people accept those families that don't have as much or aren't they typical Mom/Dad/kids unit...it can becomes a matter of being a personal strike against them and maybe it shouldn't be.

Maybe instead of JUST social assitance there should be more emphasis on also providing scholarships/money/options for kids educations?  Instead of sneering at people who need help ... try to help?

45 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Dude, its not private citizens or proud boys or whatever patriots group burning cities down.

Blm started off with honorable intentions, stop violence against black and other minoritys.

Look at the riots in ferguson, was started by a lie that blm propelled.

Remember hands up don't shoot? 

Then it showed the suspect/victim trying to get a cops gun.

Why is that officer not in jail? 

Answer me why bernie sanders 2020 has gotten 189 million from blm that was donated to them, not bernie.

bro, you can't lay blame the actions of a few rioters on the millions of peaceful BLM supporters.

I don't believe that Bernie number, at all, and its been debunked btw: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/06/donations-to-black-lives-matter-group-dont-go-to-dnc/

52 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I didnt watch the video.  Just looked at it response. 

Maybe you should consider getting the proper information before taking a hard stand on the Internet.

You just backed someone who posted a video called "Adolf Hitler, the greatest story never told". One click on the link told me everything I needed to know about the person posting it. Very creative names constructed for those whole follow the Jewish faith.

Care to try to use me as an exhibit A again? I haven't said anything negative against anyone with opinions different then mine, until someone expressed a pro Nazi stance. The great irony of the entire thing, is what you did is the exact thing you attempted to draw attention on to me for.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

It’s there job though, they should be trained to handle these situations and de escalate. Yet American cops tend to go straight to lethal force all the time. Fun fact, in the USA they have actually barred people from becoming cops because they have too high of an IQ. It’s no secret these officers are poorly trained and mis handle situations on a daily basis. 

I'm pretty sure they're trained that if they shoot it's to kill. Maybe they should be taught better how to maim someone in the leg or something first. I would not want to be a cop in America.

1 minute ago, Whorvat said:

No, but he did a lot more than just speak to Epstein. 

That's not the point of this protest. It's about racial issues that have long preceded Trump, will continue past Trump and that Trump did nothing to improve and in ways only escalated. If these actions at least get people thinking and talking, that's a step in the right direction 

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Maybe you should consider getting the proper information before taking a hard stand on the Internet.

You just backed someone who posted a video called "Adolf Hitler, the greatest story never told". One click on the link told me everything I needed to know about the person posting it. Very creative names constructed for those whole follow the Jewish faith.

Care to try to use me as an exhibit A again? I haven't said anything negative against anyone with opinions different then mine, until someone expressed a pro Nazi stance. The great irony of the entire thing, is what you did is the exact thing you attempted to draw attention on to me for.

I will change it. Ya I should have looked closer. 

• Upvote 1

Today I spoke to a friend who was a volunteer youth hockey coach in TO area. He told me how bad racism was directed towards him that he and his buddy both quit doing it. That's Toronto, not Tennessee. 

Most of us believe hockey is our national sport.  Maybe through the love for the game, we can build a better nation. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

But are there underlying factors that go beyond the "single parent" deal that is only the surface "reason" for this.

Like the stigma that follows that?  That could be removed, with children of single parent families not having to feel shame somehow for that?  Not just the sadness...but what they encounter out there in the world as they're compared to "normal" families.  That it's how we receive them as a society and not judge them like somehow they're flawed?

Maybe the answer isn't to focus on keeping families together (which can be very bad...some learn about another side of their spouse AFTER marriage) and putting more emphasis on creating a society that doesn't judge people so much/easily?  Not seeing "wealth" as something that makes a person "better" than another simply based on bank account and assets.  Understanding that, often, it's the opposite because there's a sense of entitlement involved?  Where the haves feel that the have nots don't belong.

My point is that maybe it's not just having one parent that's the issue.  It's how people accept those families that don't have as much...it can becomes a matter of being a personal strike against them and maybe it shouldn't be.

Maybe instead of welfare there should be more emphasis on providing scholarships/money for kids educations?  Instead of sneering at people who need help ... try to help?

Check this study out. 3 things (see c) that lead to success and the difference each makes:

image.png.fa8cfd12dcf4ae385575f60fe4fc29ed.png

Edited by Moose Nuckle