The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

28 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Said every German in 1938

You are talking about a minorty group vs a majority.  If you think because one of the young initial black leaders of BLM has education in Marxist ideas, the majority of Americans will soon rise up and demand a Communist government,  you are reeeeeeeeeally reaching.   Now if you are talking Fascism, it is creeping into the US under the present admin.  Demonizing the free press, and opposition, appointing yes men and big donor sycophants in charge of departments that they have a conflict of interest in, blaming immigrants and minorities for all of the majorities problems, separating families, and caging their children, election sabotage (post office), voter suppression tactics, ignoring beneficial (to them) foreign interference, A leader pardoning criminals that helped him break the law.  Nepotism, corruption.  Now that smells more like Germany 1938

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Kragar said:

If it happens, then yes, there will be greater impacts.  Until then, postponement remains a symbolic gesture.

Politicians who say they care about this, don't.  Defunding the police to a point where they are no longer involved with civilians with mental health issues isn't going to make much of a difference in the overall problem.  Defunding them further, to a point where police officers feel less safe, makes matters worse as policing in these high-risk areas will decrease.  Do these inner-city residents want that?  No way.  And, I hope there is no need to get into those that want to disband the police outright, because that is complete ignorance, especially when many of them want us to depend on the police to protect us instead of arming ourselves.  Spending more on education won't do the trick... we already have more money spent per student than the majority of the first world countries.  Ignoring what Obama said a few years back, BLM doesn't care about keeping families together, so improved life at home is not on this trajectory of solutions.  How are things supposed to get better with the "solutions" that get bandied about?  BLM doesn't have a clue.  Neither do a large majority of the politicians, from both sides of the aisle.

Maybe if some politicians were less interested in "importing" millions of poor people not legally entitled to be here, people who compete for low-skilled/-paying jobs (which drives down wages and increases unemployment) and who compete for cheap housing (which drives up rents or low-cost housing prices), poorer citizens, including the disproportionate number of black people living in poverty, would see more noticeable improvements in their lives.  People with jobs who can support themselves and their family are less likely to commit crimes, especially violent ones.  Being less likely to commit a crime, especially a violent one, greatly decreases the likelihood of coming into contact with a police officer whose hand is already on the gun and is ready to shoot at the slightest indication of violence.

It is true that black people are more likely to be shot by police, when you use proportionality in your numbers.  It is also more likely that police officers are shot by black people than any other race by that same logic.  Chicken and the egg situation, but IMO, it would be easier to break the cycle from the civilian side.

All really good points Kragar. Politician is just another word for prostitute. People who want to abolish the police are loony toonz.

Politicians are interested in growing their economies. That always means more people. Whether they arrive legally or illegally. More people are required for more consumption, more velocity of money etc. Declining birth rates are going to become a huge problem. Either by being birthed by the existing population or through immigration populations have to rise to grow economies and service already massive existing debts.

I don't know if spending more on education is the answer but a better allocation of those dollars sure is. Education is the key to getting out of poverty. Education leads to better opportunities, better pay, better life satisfaction, stronger families etc.. Educated people commit way less violent crimes. It's just better for everyone.

But it's not a quick fix. Put a great system into place tomorrow and it's at best a 30 year fix. Probably a 50-60 year fix.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Under no direct and imminent threat 

luckily you are not on a police  force 

The story was a unarmed good samaritan who was just trying to break up a fight was shot 7 times in the back because of the colour of his skin. If that was the case , almost nobody would be discussing the actual shooting.   That's not even close to the real story it seems , and I dont like being misled . That is my issue.

• Vintage 2

I am all for the protest of racial injustice. But in no way do I support the Black Lives Matter. They have done more harm and destruction than good. I will probably be cancelled for this comment because the left can’t handle anyone who disagrees with them. 

• Like 1

Just now, kilgore said:

You are talking about a minorty group vs a majority.  If you think because one of the young initial black leaders of BLM has education in Marxist ideas, the majority of Americans will soon rise up and demand a Communist government,  you are reeeeeeeeeally reaching.   Now if you are talking Fascism, it is creeping into the US under the present admin.  Demonizing the free press, and opposition, appointing yes men and big donor sycophants in charge of departments that they have a conflict of interest in, blaming immigrants and minorities for all of the majorities problems, separating families, and caging their children, election sabotage (post office), voter suppression tactics, ignoring beneficial (to them) foreign interference, A leader pardoning criminals that helped him break the law.  Nepotism, corruption.  Now that smells more like Germany 1938

I get why you deny it but let facts speak for themselves.

received_1768466223291427.jpeg.7a19267a2dbbd4d2ebc801680b6a328c.jpeg

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Yes, i don't think anyones arguing that all lives matter, black and white and latino and asian. All matter.

The actions of burning down used car dealerships serves what purpose?

Burning down small business serves who?

Smashing and grabbing at nike, apple, tesla and jewelry stores because those businesses are racist?

Right...

You are grouping everyone in the same group as those who support this are rioters. We know from experience in this city that some people take advantage of an ooportunity under the guize that they are supporting the cause. How many of the Vancouver rioters in 2011 were actually Canuck fans? See what I am saying?

I can think of a lot of reasons as o why the NHL playoffs should be stopped but this one has be stumped. The police attended a scene of a criminal who was apparently in contravention of a peace order against a woman and was shot while resisting arrest and appeared to be reaching for a weapon and because he was a black man this is a black lives matter issue? The police had not other option, they had already tazed the man and he kept going, they had to protect themselves and the public.

I fully understand and agree with black lives matter but I think they are losing their way if they are in support of criminals. The suspect is still alive yet hockey is dead, for tonight anyway.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You missed my point entirely.

This more supports it...that our vision of "success" is placed solely on monetary status.   And that means people with money are "valued" higher in society (but could be real liabilities out there).

So if staying together as a family means monetary "success", what if it's with a potentially dangerous abuser?  Do we weigh that out at all?

Anyhow....off track and have to leave now.  Been a good discussion and it's NEVER a bad time to put things on pause and reflect on how we ALL can be/do better.

Have a great day everyone.  Be kind.

Just wanted to take a minute and say thank you for your thoughts today. I didn't have to reply to anyone as you thought the same thing I did. Glad the boys got a few days off to recover. Go nucks!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

All really good points Kragar. Politician is just another word for prostitute. People who want to abolish the police are loony toonz.

Politicians are interested in growing their economies. That always means more people. Whether they arrive legally or illegally. More people are required for more consumption, more velocity of money etc. Declining birth rates are going to become a huge problem. Either by being birthed by the existing population or through immigration populations have to rise to grow economies and service already massive existing debts.

I don't know if spending more on education is the answer but a better allocation of those dollars sure is. Education is the key to getting out of poverty. Education leads to better opportunities, better pay, better life satisfaction, stronger families etc.. Educated people commit way less violent crimes. It's just better for everyone.

But it's not a quick fix. Put a great system into place tomorrow and it's at best a 30 year fix. Probably a 50-60 year fix.

Oh yeah, it won't be quick.  Just think of how long it will take to get enough politicians on the same page to do some good for the situation!

Cheers :) 

1 minute ago, Bertorama said:

I am a life long Canuck fan. 

have been for 35plus years

never have I been more proud of the team than now. 

class act decision to share social accountability to promote Racial unity and make cultural change by using their platform to say enough is enough. 

Cheers to anyone who promoted these actions. 

Forever a Canuck. Inclusive of all fans of all walks of life.  

And as long as they use the truth to do it,  I agree.

ALL LIVES MATTER...WHATS WRONG IS THE IMAGE FROM THE PAST...I LIKE ALL COLOURS BUT WHY IS IT THAT YOU CANT FEEL SAFE IF YOU GO TO NEW YORK IN AN ALLEY OR DETROIT OR CHICAGO....WHY IS IT INTIMDATING TO BE AROUND DIFFERENT COLOURS...SO ALL PARTIES NEED TO JUST BRUSH UP ON LIFE SKILLS AND THE COPS NEED TO TRAIN BETTER IN KNOWING MENTAL HEALTH...

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."

- Josef Goebbels

• Cheers 1

Games postponed.

guess I’m gonna watch something else.
Not sure what this accomplishes or what these leagues expect to happen. Or the end game with this mandate. 
This Doesn’t do anything for awareness or educate anyone on the issues at hand. 
see you all Saturday unless they decide to postpone it because of pressure from outside sources. 
The NHL could have done more than take the easy way.
They could have had information and education Running in place of adds  and Intermissions and been leaders with positive messages promoting equality to its audience. Instead cave in to social pressure in this do nothing move.

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Just from a logic pov.... wouldn't a person who says 'all lives matter' have to agree with the statement 'black lives matter'? 

The issue taken with saying " All Lives matter" is that it disregards the problem with what is happening to black people and people of color especially in the US. Its like saying protect all houses.... but its the one burning to the ground you need to pay attention to right now.

Its not an American problem only but they are the biggest percentage of the issue worldwide. Racism, Poverty, Education, Health know no color but in the US where the dollar is king it is definitely in favor of the white person. Its a complicated issue that will have to be worked on by both sides of the issue. Blacks will have to continue to work harder to improve their conditions worldwide, Whites will have to accept that there have been injustices and understand that to fix them we will all have to engage in dialogue, listen to others perspectives, and work together to ensure that anyone can succeed in this life regardless of what skin color they are.

What undermines the BLM position is that destroying others property only gives credence to the argument that they commit all the crime.  What makes the civil rights march so effective and long lasting is the fact that they marched peacefully. This gained respect among others. Saying "no justice no peace" undervalues the issue. The real leaders of the world everyone needs top become will happen when ears listen and those who speak speak with the same respect expected on the other side. No one individual will fix this. No one city, state or country will fix this. All people have to have a look in the mirror and expand their minds without thinking that this will take something away from me.

The world is in a lot better place than in the 1960s for people of color. Some will argue that but its changed a lot. Today we have to take the next steps and continue to grow as a society. The fear mongering that rules the world has to stop. Its not ok to destroy people for being different. Its not ok to destroy businesses and property of others to make your point. Its not ok to not listen. Each and everyone of us has to think.we all need to act.Peace and love were tenets of the 60s movements. We need to take the way we all feel about conflicts of war and turn that same energy to stopping race wars. otherwise this will just keep going

• Cheers 1