The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

12 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Don’t cancel the games. Don’t cancel the anthems. Play them hard and sing them loud and proud. It brings us together. Go Canucks go!

Singing anthems as much as they do is a distinctly NA thing. I would hardly call them unifying actions when there is a fundamental breakdown of trust in society.

that said hopefully the Canucks do play hard tonight or whenever that is and keep the knights quiet

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Singing anthems as much as they do is a distinctly NA thing. I would hardly call them unifying actions when there is a fundamental breakdown of trust in society.

that said hopefully the Canucks do play hard tonight or whenever that is and keep the knights quiet

Respect your opinion. Disagree with the first part. But that’s ok. If the Canucks play like they did in game 2, this is going to be a winnable series. 

• Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, Squamfan said:

I think the game is getting canceled

All because of video of some shi**y unstable American cops shooting people of colour? Video is powerful.

Where are the videos of cops senselessly shooting white people? Ah no one cares.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nobody in the NHL universe players and owners alike wants to shut this down entirely.  Think that’s a little over the top don’t you?   Sports brings people together.   We are minor partner in the US sports scene... one game sends a message, abandoning everything they’ve managed so far in the bubble is just ludicrous. 

Yeah.  The NHL means very little to the USA sports fan.  I think it rates below college basketball and football.  It may be even with NASCAR.  But I think NHL will postpone for a day or two. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Yeah.  The NHL means very little to the USA sports fan.  I think it rates below college basketball and football.  It may be even with NASCAR.  But I think NHL will postpone for a day or two. 

The NHL has already said that they aren't going to cancel games unless it is driven by the players through the NHLPA (as per TSN).  The NHL itself doesn't seem to want to cancel or postpone games but they are leaving it up to the players.  I have to assume that they are talking it over right now.  Personally I'd like to see the games go ahead but it isn't up to me.  Go Canucks Go!

God bless David Dorn and the 5 year old boy shot in the head because he was white. God bless the continued victims of violence in Chicago and other inner cities (something that has been brought to light and is very important) if the league thinks a day shut down in solidarity will help some people feel better about racial inequality who cares, go for it, it's just sports. 

That being said shutting down sports for a day is more hollow virtue signalling than striving for equality. Would anyone care about any of this if there wasn't a huge media push? Would there be a huge media push if it wasn't an election year in the states?

Its sad that many people feel they are being treated unjustly due to their race.  What would be even sadder would be if the problems being focused on weren't actually problems and a certain political party was using death, destruction and immorality to keep themselves in power, trying to convince minorities they are perpetual  victims and the world was eating it up hook line and sinker.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

God bless David Dorn and the 5 year old boy shot in the head because he was white. God bless the continued victims of violence in Chicago and other inner cities (something that has been brought to light and is very important) if the league thinks a day shut down in solidarity will help some people feel better about racial inequality who cares, go for it, it's just sports. 

That being said shutting down sports for a day is more hollow virtue signalling than striving for equality. Would anyone care about any of this if there wasn't a huge media push? Would there be a huge media push if it wasn't an election year in the states?

Its sad that many people feel they are being treated unjustly due to their race.  What would be even sadder would be if the problems being focused on weren't actually problems and a certain political party was using death, destruction and immorality to keep themselves in power and the world was eating it up hook line and sinker.

Came across this last night, and everyone needs to keep this in mind when you see people looking for social justice points.

https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fpspp0000329

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

The NHL has already said that they aren't going to cancel games unless it is driven by the players through the NHLPA (as per TSN).  The NHL itself doesn't seem to want to cancel or postpone games but they are leaving it up to the players.  I have to assume that they are talking it over right now.  Personally I'd like to see the games go ahead but it isn't up to me.  Go Canucks Go!

I want to see the Canucks game too but I'm good either way.  However, I would be majorly pissed if they cancel it altogether (which I think they won't).

With that, it seems the NHL has this posted as part of their commentary, so:

"We support the fight against racism and injustice," Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara said after a 7-1 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Second Round. "There are different ways to express that fight and obviously NBA players expressed their opinions by boycotting the games today. We support it."

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-players-show-support-for-nba-protests/c-318779194?tid=285562886

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nobody in the NHL universe players and owners alike wants to shut this down entirely.  Think that’s a little over the top don’t you?   Sports brings people together.   We are minor partner in the US sports scene... one game sends a message, abandoning everything they’ve managed so far in the bubble is just ludicrous. 

And the NBA ?

trust me I wait playoff hockey as well but open your eyes to what is happening and the pressure that is mounting 

it’s going to shut down 

• Wat 2