The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

That’s ugly. Nick Cannon style ugly. 

One would hope that she is no longer in a position of leadership in the organization. This kind of statement is disgusting 

People thinking black people are "sub-human" are why society is in the state it's in. Not gonna get past that by flipping the script and saying white people are "sub-human". Cause we'll be in the same boat just with a different victim. Too much hate going around. 

27 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Personally I support the NHL/players in this decision & show of solidarity.. that's ftr.

That said, it appears this modern society is rather inconsistent & hypocritical in so many areas/issues which are closely connected. All presented through a ludicrously dishonest, propagandized, bought & paid media.

Well said, agree 100%

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SergioMomesso said:

I went through way too much BS playing in the 90’s. It got so bad I just quit mid game and never went back to play my last eligible year in minor hockey. But that didn’t deter me from signing my son up to play and myself coaching. I’m glad my boy wanted to quit 3 years in. The crap that was spewing out of 6-8 year old kids was outright disgusting. And when we had to bench a kid for being late (again). The racist comments were too much for me. It’s like these parents never taught their kids that there are different looking people that live in northern B.C.  

I played some tournies up there. Some of the full First Nations teams were amazing to play against. Super rough and super good. That said a buddy from Burns Lake said pretty much the same as you did after he moved to the island. 

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One would hope that she is no longer in a position of leadership in the organization. This kind of statement is disgusting 

Blunt, there's no shortage of it out there. And it's being absorbed by a lot of weak, imperceptive minds. 

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

Nothing you're saying justifies 7 shots in the back. 

Does someone who has fought police as they tried to arrest them, threatened the lives of their ex that is present, threatened to kill everyone around, has a history of pointing guns at people and is now saying they are going to grab a weapon and kill you deserve to be shot while reaching for a weapon?

You keep mentioning the # of shots, what if six missed?  High likelihood of missing even close range due to shaking etc.

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I think this guy here probably knows more about racism than any of us. 

When I think about the struggles of the African American community, the first one I think of is a rich and famous Hollywood actor. 

• Upvote 1

I was a cheeky monkey a little while ago and watched a PPV sporting event streamed on one of those dodgy websites.

They had a unfiltered, none moderated chat streaming on the side. Thousands of people were posting so it flew by almost faster than you could read. However what you could catch was insane. I knew racism existed but holy smokes, I had never seen/read anything like it, absolutely disgusting. The things people post when they are comfortable in their anonymity is staggering. Also shows that there is a real problem. It's not just the media and blah blah blah.

8 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Google is a main sponsor of Factcheck.org, so I don’t put much credence into their “factchecks”

mmmkay, well I've never been given any money by Google (or Soros or Gates before you ask) will you trust me?

Actblue have a tool for non-profits to receive donations. Personally I'd rather they didn't charge 3.95% but it is what it is.

https://secure.actblue.com/abcharities

33 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Personally I support the NHL/players in this decision & show of solidarity.. that's ftr.

That said, it appears this modern society is rather inconsistent & hypocritical in so many areas/issues which are closely connected. All presented through a ludicrously dishonest, propagandized, bought & paid media.

bingo

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Politicians are the problem. In the US the last time you had any real bi-partisanship was the early 90's. Think about it, that was more than 25 years ago. Anyone entering Congress these days can't even recall a time of anything other than hyper partisanship. It's their 'normal'.

They have replaced the Tip O'Neil's with Matt Gaetz's and Rashida Talib's. Any wonder it's a total sh** show?

For sure.  

How can anyone be respected by their constituents for making an attempt at bi-partisanship when their constant message is extreme vilification of the other side.  If the other side is so evil, as is so often claimed, how can there be any chance at common ground with them?

The media sure as hell isn't trying to be part of the solution.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

When I think about the struggles of the African American community, the first one I think of is a rich and famous Hollywood actor. 

BLACK!!!  Don’t be scared to use that word.  
seriously, even black people (Toronto) don’t use the word African American. 
Brown people don’t go around screaming call me South Asian + Indo Canadian.    Call me BROWN!  

And I know this is a thread about the game but since it has been postponed and we all seem to be sharing our views let me tell you about my young daughter's run in with the police.

Her and her boyfriend who she was living with at the time had a huge argument - both had been drinking and she became very distraught and said she wanted to kill herself. She went and had a bath and her boyfriend called the police. He had my ex-wife's phone number and his girlfriends sister's number but he chose to call the police. She was crying in her room when the police showed up and they proceeded to drag her naked out of the house even as she protested and appeared suicidal and asked them to take her to the hospital. They told her she was just drunk and berated her while taking her to the police station. She spent the night in a cell wearing basically a gunny sack for clothes and was not monitored or offered medical intervention. Her mother and her sister went down and pleaded with the officers to release her as she had not been aggressive at all to her boyfriend nor had she done any property damage or shown any aggression towards her boyfriend or the officers.They refused and would not give her medical attention even though she had called her mother and expressed the same suicidal thoughts. She does not share this story as she is so ashamed of what they did to her and she is caucasian. I can only imagine what they have done to indigenous people and other minorities if this is how they treated her. While this is not just a issue for minorities the fact remains they are disproportionately abused by police officers compared to white people. 

IT SHOULD NOT TAKE SOMEONE GETTING SHOT AND?OR KILLED  for us to have the conversation that there needs to be reform in our various police forces!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

What I posted isn't a gaffe.  It's Biden speaking his mind very clearly on the black community with no room for misinterpretation.  I'll absolutely go there.

His mentor was Robert Byrd, a KKK member and recruiter.  Just like the stuff he has to say about black people, most of the media won't cover that and let the public make an informed decision.  "Poor kids are as smart as white kids."  Talking about black kids rubbing his hairy legs and jumping on his lap and then saying that's how he "learned about roaches."  Learned about roaches?  What the hell does that mean?

The Crime Bill was authored by Biden.  Now I don't necessarily think that was a case of bad intentions, but that legislation is the perfect example of the hidden systemic racism that is being talked about, and had Trump authored the bill, we would all be hearing about it every day.  Same if Trump had been mentored by Robert Byrd.  Same if Trump had said anything close to what Biden said about the black community having no diversity of thought "with notable exceptions."

So yeah, I don't even like Trump but when it comes to racism, his record is far better than Biden's.  Not even close.  And the reason you don't realize this is probably because you are being given a bowl of projection for breakfast every morning.

Trump had a well known history with racism well before he ever became a political figure.  It was one of the main talking points on Comedy Centrals Roast of him.  I'm not saying that a comedy roast is a good source of info but obviously he already had a reputation going for him that comedians thought they could take advantage of. 

A range of emotions for me today, not going to lie. 

Shutting down hockey for 2 more days will actually force people to have a conversation. 

What those people speak of will differ greatly I'm afraid... Some will be galvanized and cite further obstructions of "freedom", whilst others with actually think about how to make the world a better place. IE being kind to every person until they give you reason not to.

I was initially upset honestly. I thought 'oh they're towing the line' or 'are we going to shut down everytime an officer makes a mistake (deadly)' 

Upon reflection and listening to the bubbles panel of NHLers, I was moved. I questioned my selfishness. I saw that I missed the bigger picture. 

Many here on CDC are well off, have plenty of free time. Well, reality is that people are forced into public transit in a pandemic to make a living or sub-living wage.

Lets think about those people, of any color TBH.

Edited by Western Red
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sassbs said:

BLACK!!!  Don’t be scared to use that word.  
seriously, even black people (Toronto) don’t use the word African American. 
Brown people don’t go around screaming call me South Asian + Indo Canadian.    Call me BROWN!  

Sure. Should I call Chinese people yellow?  

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

She can’t be racist because she is black, at least that is what lot of people are saying.