The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

7 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

What i was referencing was a chart i saw in a new clip that actblue has funneled almost 500 million in donations to several prominent dems. 

The top 4 were non white individuals with bernie alleged to have gotten 189$ mil  

The graphic shown was from vox.com

Actiblue is like PAYPAL ETC - its a platform that donations are submitted to and then distributed to the charity. So if I donate 100 bucks to BLM thru Actiblue it goes to BLM - not funneled off to the Dems

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

As this discussion continues , and I take it all in,  there is definitely some material I am finding that is making me question this more . This article is helping me understand a bit better the side of the story that suggests what police procedures actually are , and that they were not followed .

"Former police officers share important truths regarding shooting of Jacob Blake - Upworthy" https://www.upworthy.com/former-police-officers-weigh-in-on-jacob-blake-shooting

Kudos to you Sir for keeping an open mind.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Those numbers alone should have set off your BS meter. $189 million dollars to Bernie Sanders is so far beyond any reasonable amount it should be dismissed at first glance.

It's like if I told you the Canucks were going to sign Petey to a Kajillion dollar contract. Would you say 'wait a second' or would you say 'good for Petey, he deserves it'.

That's why i couldn't believe it. 

Please be patient I'm going threw my history to find the video/graphic

Just now, MikeBossy said:

Actiblue is like PAYPAL ETC - its a platform that donations are submitted to and then distributed to the charity. So if I donate 100 bucks to BLM thru Actiblue it goes to BLM - not funneled off to the Dems

I'm going threw my history to find, please be patient.

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I haven't heard many people talking about the fact that the jails in the States are for-profit privatized institutions.

Was thinking the same thing a few minutes ago trying to get through some of this thread.   I have read some post how it’s a socioeconomic issue more then anything- have a roof over your head and three meals a day kind of keeps the need to commit crimes at bay - not to mention a quality education and health care system something all three things the US has serious problems with.   They incarcerate more then any other country percentage wise and literally.   Big business can’t be helping this cycle.   And large parts of the  black community is started there (prison) soon after slavery was abolished. Doesn’t get much more systematic then that ...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

Nothing you're saying justifies 7 shots in the back. 

As I posted,  I'm genuinely trying to decide how I feel about all this,  and there is definitely validity to ur post. I also watched the vid a few more times .

"Former police officers share important truths regarding shooting of Jacob Blake - Upworthy" https://www.upworthy.com/former-police-officers-weigh-in-on-jacob-blake-shooting

4 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200616/fact-check-do-donations-to-black-lives-matter-go-to-lsquodemocrat-super-pacrsquo

By the way i used bing to search this time as @redhdlois didn't like me using google - do a little research before quoting an instagram story please

bing>microsoft>bill gates>microchip in your arm

They're not gonna fall for that one. I was gonna use Altavista, but it seems to have been cancelled (damn those pesky SJWs).

https://uk.ask.com/web?q=black+lives+matter+actblue&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir&qo=homepageSearchBox

10 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

What i was referencing was a chart i saw in a new clip that actblue has funneled almost 500 million in donations to several prominent dems. 

The top 4 were non white individuals with bernie alleged to have gotten 189$ mil  

The graphic shown was from vox.com

Got a link to the vox graphic? I can't seem to find it, but that might be cos I'm trying with a crappy 90s search engine.

• Haha 1

Well, it has been interesting reading this for the last couple of hours. 

I have, and always will support our Canucks both on and off the ice. I am not sure if pushing the game will help in the long run. But sometimes, just the gesture, is a sign that you are listening.  Also, if it was true that the Canucks actually reached out to Reeves...wow...so proud of these guys!

Lastly, since this is actually a hockey talk forum, Canucks in 6! 

Go Nucks!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

bing>microsoft>bill gates>microchip in your arm

They're not gonna fall for that one. I was gonna use Altavista, but it seems to have been cancelled (damn those pesky SJWs).

https://uk.ask.com/web?q=black+lives+matter+actblue&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir&qo=homepageSearchBox

Got a link to the vox graphic? I can't seem to find it, but that might be cos I'm trying with a crappy 90s search engine.

The graphic from vox was in a video i saw, I'm trying to find it.

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Police are responding in the moment, and always to a bad situation.  It's easy for us to talk about it from the comfort of our homes.  

It's going to be a lose-lose situation for the policing in the States.  No sane man or woman would want to be a cop down there, and their problem is that they have too many insane officers on duty.  

The public in the USA are allowed to carry....now if I put myself in a cops position and anyone tries to attack, assault me (doesn't matter what colour), they are going down! I tell my kids the exact same thing....my parent worked 45 years in the correction service as a jail guard in maximum security to minimum security centers...didn't matter what colour you were...if you assaulted a guard, you are going down!

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

And I know this is a thread about the game but since it has been postponed and we all seem to be sharing our views let me tell you about my young daughter's run in with the police.

Her and her boyfriend who she was living with at the time had a huge argument - both had been drinking and she became very distraught and said she wanted to kill herself. She went and had a bath and her boyfriend called the police. He had my ex-wife's phone number and his girlfriends sister's number but he chose to call the police. She was crying in her room when the police showed up and they proceeded to drag her naked out of the house even as she protested and appeared suicidal and asked them to take her to the hospital. They told her she was just drunk and berated her while taking her to the police station. She spent the night in a cell wearing basically a gunny sack for clothes and was not monitored or offered medical intervention. Her mother and her sister went down and pleaded with the officers to release her as she had not been aggressive at all to her boyfriend nor had she done any property damage or shown any aggression towards her boyfriend or the officers.They refused and would not give her medical attention even though she had called her mother and expressed the same suicidal thoughts. She does not share this story as she is so ashamed of what they did to her and she is caucasian. I can only imagine what they have done to indigenous people and other minorities if this is how they treated her. While this is not just a issue for minorities the fact remains they are disproportionately abused by police officers compared to white people. 

IT SHOULD NOT TAKE SOMEONE GETTING SHOT AND?OR KILLED  for us to have the conversation that there needs to be reform in our various police forces!

About a year ago, my friend came home late because he was out with me and his brother for drinks.  His (thankfully ex) girlfriend started yelling at him, punched holes in the wall and turns out that the neighbours called the cops.  Cops show up and ask them to open the door.  By this time, they have calmed down and he is trying to tell them that there is no problem.  Since it's an alleged domestic dispute, police have no choice but to break the door down.  They bust in and arrest him, really the one that was the victim of the abuse.  I have no idea how their line of questioning and reasoning was, but it was definitely a failure.  She felt bad, of course, called me and his brother to take her to the police station and get him out.  I'm almost 100% sure that it's on his soft record.  

2 minutes ago, Violator said:

Why are they rallying around something like this versus all of the other homicides and mass killings that happen

Because someone or some party want to secure the black votes this Nov. Ever wonder why these sort of issues only come up during election? 

• Wat 1

38 minutes ago, mayor MCcheese said:

Good luck with that. They do get elevated status because they are putting their lives on the line for us.

Nope, a badge doesn't make you better than the average citizen.

They are put in situations multiple times a day where their lives and safety are threatened.

Yes, which is why we need people in those situations who don't behave like neanderthals. 

They’re not questioning you for poops and giggles.

Stop & frisk was just that. 

Show some damn respect and do as you’re told.

Sorry but I am nobody's bitch. I will do whatever I deem fit that is within my constitutional rights. 

If you’re innocent, the time to sort that out is at the police station. If they truly think you’re guilty, do you think they’re going to let you go just because you gave them attitude and said you’re not?

Do you think just because you grovel in front of them that they will let you go? Innocence or guilt, you shouldn't be in harm's way for speaking your mind.

What’s to be gained by doing that? It’s only making the situation worse.

Self-respect? Preserving one's dignity? I think's that well worth fighting for.

The cops aren’t the ones who escalate,

Clearly and demonstrably false. We have seen enough video evidence of disproportionate response from police. 

it’s the people who give attitude and resist. The minute you do that  YOU’VE escalated the situation, not them.

There is a clear difference between words (attitude) and action (resisting). You are for some reason choosing to conflate them. 

Edited by Toews
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Chicken. said:

I get that but why do we need to reinterpret the organization's messaging ?   Perhaps creating controversy is an avenue to change.. 

because what the protesters have been saying get run through Fox News and their ilk. If you listen beyond a sound bite you'd hear loud and clear that better mental heath funding is what people want, and to stop using this police for things they aren't trained for. Its all there, just listen for 5 minutes. 

Just now, Violator said:

Why are they rallying around something like this versus all of the other homicides and mass killings that happen

There's something about police specifically in a position of authority abusing their power to kill someone that really tugs at the heart strings, especially caught on video. plus with all the blatantly brutal acts by police lately combined with existing rhetoric to abolish the police, emotions are high in an election season with media on over drive its a recipe for chaos with this new age of social media everything is out in the open and rightfully so

12 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Most militarized police in the world, in most violent and crime ridden western nation and most armed nation on the planet.

Police kills people at higher rate than other countries, say it ain’t so, I am shocked!

Case in point - Edmonton Police force bought this couple years ago:

blackwolf.JPG

17 minutes ago, VC420 said:

Hockey and sports in general spread a lot of joy and happiness around our country and the world, by refusing to play you are refusing to spread joy and happiness. In these times we need things like sports to bring us together, to get us all cheering together and celebrating something that we can all get excited for. I just finished a 10 hour day in the warehouse of a local department store helping ensure my community has face masks, sanitizer, toilet paper and other necessities and I really wanted to come home, sit down with my family and enjoy one of the few things that make me happy, watching my Vancouver Canucks. 

One of the purposes of protest is to cause disruption. Protests that don't bother anybody don't attract attention.