The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Yzerman says they are looking to add picks to further their rebuild.  They want to leverage their cap space.  It doesn't sound like he is looking to give them away.

Gord Miller was explaining the other day why GMs don't really put a lot of value on goalies.  He was saying that the difference between a great goalie and an average goalie is mostly marginal and the position is too volatile.  The difference between an average D and a great D is considerable though.  He argues that there is far more value in trying to draft/acquire a great D than there is in getting a goalie.  

Makes me wonder if DET will use the 4th overall to draft Drysdale or maybe they could trade down and draft Sanderson if they want to get another pick out of it.

That contract would kill us so would only do the trade if Loui was involved. 8M for a 29 yo ageing 40pt defenceman is a bit much when guys like Krug and Peitrangelo will be going for the same amount.

Also 8M in 3-5 years time is just going to hurt this team more. I think OEL can play 20 minutes for another 3 or 4 years but after that we end up with another burden.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

That contract would kill us so would only do the trade if Loui was involved. 8M for a 29 yo ageing 40pt defenceman is a bit much when guys like Krug and Peitrangelo will be going for the same amount.

Also 8M in 3-5 years time is just going to hurt this team more. I think OEL can play 20 minutes for another 3 or 4 years but after that we end up with another burden.

OEL, Krug, and Pietrangelo are all 1 year apart in age and will all be commanding similar type of money. 

In any case, considering that Arizona is expecting to get a king's ransom for OEL should be a no-go.  

What would be an expected package the Canucks can offer?  The usual: player with upside, elite prospect plus a pick.... something along the lines of Virtanen, Podkolzin and maybe a 2nd rounder?  Those assets would be almost more than enough to get rid of contracts like Eriksson, Sutter and maybe Baertschi and with more than enough cap room left to sign Alex Pietrangelo plus other contracts.  

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's played both sides in the past and has even been quoted saying he feels he produces more offense playing his off side.

The biggest issue with playing D on their off side is the issue of clearing the puck in their own end. It forces them to do so on their backhand which is less than ideal. Fortunately, Hughes basically never simply 'clears a puck' up and off the boards :lol: So it's FAR less of an issue.

Right, I remember now him saying maybe at the start of last year that he's equally comfortable on both sides.

I wonder if the coaching staff would ever do that - it would certainly help out the eternal league-wide search for a top RHD making it easier to fill our right side spots and simultaneously giving room for the constant overload of LHD

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

OEL, Krug, and Pietrangelo are all 1 year apart in age and will all be commanding similar type of money. 

In any case, considering that Arizona is expecting to get a king's ransom for OEL should be a no-go.  

What would be an expected package the Canucks can offer?  The usual: player with upside, elite prospect plus a pick.... something along the lines of Virtanen, Podkolzin and maybe a 2nd rounder?  Those assets would be almost more than enough to get rid of contracts like Eriksson, Sutter and maybe Baertschi and with more than enough cap room left to sign Alex Pietrangelo plus other contracts.  

For OEL? There's no way that is what he costs. That is dirt cheap. More like Boeser, 1st, Juolevi, Podkolzin. 

Only a idiot for a gm would bring a guy like this into Vancouver at this time.

the cost To get him and cap Would set this team back years.

29Years old and 8.25mill cap hit till 2026/27.

We just need to stay the coarse with the group and prospects we have No more over paid vets on the back side of there careers. 

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I see OJ as a potential Edler replacement down the line. Hughes says he's capable of playing the right side and OEL would be a great defenseman for him to play with. If we could somehow retain Tanev(maybe have to a contract back like Benn/Baer/Sutter) then we'd have a killer top 4.

We'd lose next year's 1st though and probably another good pick/prospect.

IDK if worth. If they're willing to take Eriksson then it could be worth it.

I'm fine with that when you're getting such high end talent back in. Picks are great but outside of the top few its always a risk too, we know what OEL is going to bring. 

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

For OEL? There's no way that is what he costs. That is dirt cheap. More like Boeser, 1st, Juolevi, Podkolzin. 

AZ won't get a package like that from anyone imo. If they are set on moving him, and his rather large salary. its going to be young roster player, d prospect, 1st rounder. Which we can do. We can also go after a lot of other players if this kind of package is on the table. 

7 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Only a idiot for a gm would bring a guy like this into Vancouver at this time.

the cost To get him and cap Would set this team back years.

29Years old and 8.25mill cap hit till 2026/27.

We just need to stay the coarse with the group and prospects we have No more over paid vets on the back side of there careers. 

no it wouldn't. You're forgetting Edlers 6 mil is gone next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Maybe a 24, 25 year old OEL. Not the 29 year old with 7 years remaining. He's due 10.5 real money in the first four years. Only so many teams are taking that on in this climate. Arizona will not be overwhelmed with A+ trade proposals. It will come down to how much they really want to move him and how much finances factor in. My guess is they are strapped. I can't see how they are a team with a deep bank account to weather this strom.

• Cheers 1

Seravalli today on the Oilers' interest in OEL:

https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-frozen-cap-makes-franchise-changing-players-available-1.1532623

- Defenceman Oscar Klefbom’s lingering shoulder injury looms large. Sources indicate Klefbom is seeking opinions on how to move forward with the injury; if it requires surgery, he may be on the shelf long-term.

- If Klefbom is out for a long stretch, it would create opportunity on the salary cap by potentially using his $4.17 as a long-term injury exception to acquire a replacement. The Oilers are believed to have had preliminary discussions on acquiring defenceman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, the new No. 1 on the Trade Bait board, from Arizona. But there is a financial component to the potential transaction that would need to involve Arizona retaining a portion of Ekman-Larsson's salary, which the Coyotes have not been willing to budge on. Top-end defensive prospect Evan Bouchard (No. 46) and the Oilers' first-round pick could be involved in a deal.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Seravalli today on the Oilers' interest in OEL:

https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-frozen-cap-makes-franchise-changing-players-available-1.1532623

- Defenceman Oscar Klefbom’s lingering shoulder injury looms large. Sources indicate Klefbom is seeking opinions on how to move forward with the injury; if it requires surgery, he may be on the shelf long-term.

- If Klefbom is out for a long stretch, it would create opportunity on the salary cap by potentially using his $4.17 as a long-term injury exception to acquire a replacement. The Oilers are believed to have had preliminary discussions on acquiring defenceman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, the new No. 1 on the Trade Bait board, from Arizona. But there is a financial component to the potential transaction that would need to involve Arizona retaining a portion of Ekman-Larsson's salary, which the Coyotes have not been willing to budge on. Top-end defensive prospect Evan Bouchard (No. 46) and the Oilers' first-round pick could be involved in a deal.

I wouldn't move OEL for Bouchard :lol: And they want retention too! :lol:

35 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Right so let’s add another guy that’s going to eat A monster amount of cap and get slower and less effective every year all while costing ten times as much as more productive younger players. 
Not to mention we have Myers still.

hed cost us picks and a grade prospects to get we’d have to lose even more cap to fit him and we’ll need that to sign YOUNG superstars in the very near future. That what sets us back we lose edler ( if Jim doesn’t resign him) 

but we need that cap as not for a 33 year old. 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Edler still has a lot of hockey left in him. He'll be re signed. 

Expansion draft was a contributing reason for Canucks wanting to only give him a 2 year extension. 

He wont need protection as he'll be UFA. That gives us opportunity to protect another player and re sign Edler to extension. 

I'd definitely kick the tires on OEL. All depends on what goes the other way and maybe we can send a Sutter type contract as part of package going back the other way. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Maybe a 24, 25 year old OEL. Not the 29 year old with 7 years remaining. He's due 10.5 real money in the first four years. Only so many teams are taking that on in this climate. Arizona will not be overwhelmed with A+ trade proposals. It will come down to how much they really want to move him and how much finances factor in. My guess is they are strapped. I can't see how they are a team with a deep bank account to weather this strom.

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

AZ won't get a package like that from anyone imo. If they are set on moving him, and his rather large salary. its going to be young roster player, d prospect, 1st rounder. Which we can do. We can also go after a lot of other players if this kind of package is on the table. 

It's already been debunked that ownership is trying to move him to save money. OEL is the one asking to be traded. Second 8.25m signed until he is 35... that contract is incredibly cheap and team friendly for a number 1 dman in his prime that ends right around when he should be declining. Arizona is going to be getting big time offers for him. You literally could could not have a better contract for a number 1 dman... Scraps are not going to be enough to get OEL. That would only work if Arizona was the one trying to offload him due to his NMC but that isn't the case. 

If OEL cost what people here are proposing he would be a Canucks no question. Top 6 foward/top 4 dman + Top prospect x 2 + First rounder. That is market value of OEL on his contract. 

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Edler still has a lot of hockey left in him. He'll be re signed. 

Expansion draft was a contributing reason for Canucks wanting to only give him a 2 year extension. 

He wont need protection as he'll be UFA. That gives us opportunity to protect another player and re sign Edler to extension. 

I'd definitely kick the tires on OEL. All depends on what goes the other way and maybe we can send a Sutter type contract as part of package going back the other way. 

He might be re-signed but not at 6m dollars. There are not many dman who can still play over the age of 35 at a high level. You'd have to start moving him down to more of a 3/4 dman. I just can't see him being able to eat up big minutes, like he currently is doing, at 36/37 based on what you see from another top dman at this age.

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He might be re-signed but not at 6m dollars. There are not many dman who can still play over the age of 35 at a high level. You'd have to start moving him down to more of a 3/4 dman. I just can't see him being able to eat up big minutes, like he currently is doing, at 36/37 based on what you see from another top dman at this age.

Agreed. 

8 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

It's already been debunked that ownership is trying to move him to save money. OEL is the one asking to be traded. Second 8.25m signed until he is 35... that contract is incredibly cheap and team friendly for a number 1 dman in his prime that ends right around when he should be declining. Arizona is going to be getting big time offers for him. You literally could could not have a better contract for a number 1 dman... Scraps are not going to be enough to get OEL. That would only work if Arizona was the one trying to offload him due to his NMC but that isn't the case. 

If OEL cost what people here are proposing he would be a Canucks no question. Top 6 foward/top 4 dman + Top prospect x 2 + First rounder. That is market value of OEL on his contract. 

There is no way that arizona is going to attain those type of assets, with that type of contract and if someone does, that is going to be a horrendous tail end of that contract. Only way I would be interested is if arizona ate 2 million per on his cap hit. I think 7 year contracts are reserved for players of Pettersson, Bo & Quinns age group, not players on the back half of their career. Max I would go on a player that 29 years of age is 6 years, but that's just me. 

4 minutes ago, KKnight said:

There is no way that arizona is going to attain those type of assets, with that type of contract and if someone does, that is going to be a horrendous tail end of that contract. Only way I would be interested is if arizona ate 2 million per on his cap hit. I think 7 year contracts are reserved for players of Pettersson, Bo & Quinns age group, not players on the back half of their career. Max I would go on a player that 29 years of age is 6 years, but that's just me. 

Loui Eriksson got a six year deal from us.:(