The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

22 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I take it you've been in a front office before and are so in tune with what going on in the league. Peaches5 has got some insider trading info for us. 

It takes inside info to do math? It takes inside info to know if a contract is good or not? It takes insider info to know a number 1 dman and one of the best dman in the league signed to capfriendly contract long term is going to cost a lot?

Go back to school.

Edited by peaches5

30 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

That is what I am saying if things didn't work out you can get out of the deal with a buyout at the very least. The problem is people look at the team the way it is and think oh it doesn't work. If you land OEL you change the makeup of your defense. People don't like the fact Edler is the odd man out. Like we have to revolve our defense around Edler. No. We revolve our Defense around Hughes and OEL. I like Edler but you can't not make a trade for OEL because he will be out of a spot next year. Worst case scenario you play someone on their off side for a year and then just don't re-sign Edler if that didn't pan out too well the following year.

we've made a similar mistake before.... 

I'm sure if Jim can swing something reasonable here he'll do it. 

34 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

It takes inside info to do math? It takes inside info to know if a contract is good or not? It takes insider info to know a number 1 dman and one of the best dman in the league signed to capfriendly contract long term is going to cost a lot?

Go back to school.

Thanks for the advice Dregs. 

37 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Go back to school.

Again, we are in uncharted territory with uncertain caps and economic times. Any contact with that number and term, regardless of player is tough to move. He picks his spot just like Kesler did. It will limit the return just like it did with Kes.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Not willing to waive Ntc to oilers

I don’t mind missing on him.  I was excited at the prospect at first, but that is a big ticket for someone who might already be on the down slide.

He could be better in a different situation , but he had better be at that price and term.  There are better fits at D at half the AAV who could be had for the same trade value.  

To make it work, they would have to take   Eriksson and Baertschi back and we would have to say goodbye to Edler after this season unless he wanted to re-sign for cheap $2 million, 1 year deals going forward.  

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

I don’t mind missing on him.  I was excited at the prospect at first, but that is a big ticket for someone who might already be on the down slide.

He could be better in a different situation , but he had better be at that price and term.  There are better D at half the AAV who could be had for the same trade value.  

To make it work, they would have to take   Eriksson and Baertschi back and we would have to say goodbye to Edler after this season unless he wanted to re-sign for cheap $2 million, 1 year deals going forward.  

Exactly. A deal with us will involve at least LE. A deal with the Oilers, for example, will most certainly involve James Neal. The Flames, Lucic. Of all those LE costs the least dollars moving forward which is why I think we have a chance.

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

JB is going to go hard after him. Playoffs made clear Canucks desperately need upgrade on D. 

re sign Toffoli for EP's line Virtanen 2nd line RW next season.

Boeser will be part of package to ARZ.

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Doubt BOS would trade for him giving up assets when they could just re-sign Krug. Which means the Canucks would be the only real fit

I wonder if we could steal him out of ARI 

For Loui Eriksson, 1st round pick, Podkolzin

Edited by Outsiders
  • Wat 1

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Well this is going to be some gas on a fire...

We have to assume that Arizona isn’t going to retain salary on this.

With a list that small, they couldn’t except any significant return at all.  They need to shed a lot of dollars and that is a  huge liability going forward.

They have to take back a ton of cap (if not really much money.  Eriksson, Baertschi, and maybe someone else.

They would want some futures... so probably Juolevi and Gaudette would be options.  Maybe Hoglander?

I just don’t see us giving up a ton more to take on that risk. 

This only works if it is more like a Kesler deal where they don’t have trading partners he will waive to but they badly need to move that contract.  Otherwise, market price is just too high for me.  No 1st round pick, no Podkolzin, no Boeser.  For that price I want to be targeting a young D like Sergachev or Ekblad.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1