The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

The thing is that I think most people that have some their homework realize Schmidt was simply a bad fit here. Yes, technically he can play both sides, but we were playing him on his weaker side and deploying him as more of a shutdown guy when clearly he performs better when he's put in a position to collect points. Wherever he lands, as long as he's deployed to play to his strengths, I see Schmidt having a bounceback season.

With OEL is see his recent struggles as a clear case of regression, rather than a deployment issue. 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Cap set to raise by potentially $6+ million over the next 3 years based on new TV deals, Seattle entering the league and new gate revenue post covid. 

Canucks set to have upwards of $37 million in cap space over the next 2 years.

OEL having listed only 2 teams he will accept a trade to.

OEL having a monstrous cap Arizona cannot like CAN NOT afford

OEL essentially having said he won't play for AZ after essentially having completely checked out for 2 years

Somehow translates into Benning somehow screwing things up and OEL not even being a top 4 defense anymore when literally nothing has happened and Arizona has literally less bargaining power then vancouver did with Kesler

The two biggest gripers on here sure do like to hang themselves out there pretty far some days

Cap not expected to raise for a while.

The new TV deal was lower than their target pre-Covid and was already factored in as well as Seattle in their cap projections used to set the escrow scale.  The NHL then tried to revisit that scale realizing it was too low which in part delayed the start of this season as players categorically refused. 

Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:  “A few sources are indicating that revenue numbers this year are expected to be around the $1.8- to $2-billion dollar range. When you factor in money owed by the players to the league under the CBA, teams are estimating the cap will stay static for several years. Most sources suggested through 2024–25.”

The league needs about 5 billion to break even.  That’s a lot of money to reimburse and it will get added to last season’s loss.

Bettman explained it when announcing the new TV deal.

“As part of that, the salary cap is basically going to be flat until we recover the overpayments through the escrow that we’ve built up both in the return to play from last season, which obviously had to be concluded under different circumstances, and this season we’re obviously… there’s a major escrow building up because of the fact that there’s no attendance… So I think everybody is focusing on a flat cap or a near-flat cap for the immediate future.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Are we completely comfortable with our left side of quinn rathbone and jouveli?

rathbone- 8 games

Jouveli- 23 career games

Not saying but saying

Agreed!  We need 4 good D per side:

LD

Hughes

OEL

Rathbone

Joulevi

Injuries and growing pains will swap Joulevi in regularly.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed!  We need 4 good D per side:

LD

Hughes

OEL

Rathbone

Joulevi

Injuries and growing pains will swap Joulevi in regularly.

Would jim be happy with our left side? I find it hard to think he wouldnt want a upgrade instead of signing edler.

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Are we completely comfortable with our left side of quinn rathbone and jouveli?

rathbone- 8 games

Jouveli- 23 career games

Not saying but saying

This is assuming Edler isn't resigned.

If we're going under the assumption that Hamonic isn't resigning, are you comfortable with our right side as it sits?

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This is assuming Edler isn't resigned.

If we're going under the assumption that Hamonic isn't resigning, are you comfortable with our right side as it sits?

Nah but we were going to have to work on our right side regardless this summer

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Would jim be happy with our left side? I find it hard to think he wouldnt want a upgrade instead of signing edler.

Pretty sure JB would see the left side as our foundation with RD as complimentary players.  A left side consisting of elite Hughes and OEL and Rathbone and Joulevi battling for the third spot is a good balance.  

RD would be Hamonic, Myers, UFA and Chatfield.

I think OEL has only regressed a bit due to the Arizona franchise.  I think he’d get renewed life with another team

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

There will be a few UFA defensemen available on the 28th that Benning can, and will probably, make offers to. Oleksiak, Murray, Forbort, Merrill, Johns. 

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Nah but we were going to have to work on our right side regardless this summer

How? Especially if we do pull the trigger on this move (which I think would be a massive mistake). We end up eating into our cap even more if we pull the trigger on this, and this is to say nothing about the long term implications of this. Even if Arizona retains, that's still over 6 mill tied up in an aging OEL and another 6 mill tied up in an aging Myers right when this team should be entering it's prime. I don't see how this team contends with 12 million dollars tied up in two +30 Dmen both on the decline.

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Cap not expected to raise for a while.

The new TV deal was lower than their target pre-Covid and was already factored in as well as Seattle in their cap projections used to set the escrow scale.  The NHL then tried to revisit that scale realizing it was too low which in part delayed the start of this season as players categorically refused. 

Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:  “A few sources are indicating that revenue numbers this year are expected to be around the $1.8- to $2-billion dollar range. When you factor in money owed by the players to the league under the CBA, teams are estimating the cap will stay static for several years. Most sources suggested through 2024–25.”

The league needs about 5 billion to break even.  That’s a lot of money to reimburse and it will get added to last season’s loss.

Bettman explained it when announcing the new TV deal.

“As part of that, the salary cap is basically going to be flat until we recover the overpayments through the escrow that we’ve built up both in the return to play from last season, which obviously had to be concluded under different circumstances, and this season we’re obviously… there’s a major escrow building up because of the fact that there’s no attendance… So I think everybody is focusing on a flat cap or a near-flat cap for the immediate future.”

And in the cap era, which is now flat for 3-4 more years, no team has won a Cup with even one 10 million dollar player.  It was only this year (Price) where a team with a 10 million dollar player got out of round one.  

Which team has three 11 million dollar players, and are therefore totally screwed?  That’s right!  It’s the Loser Leafs and the Shanaplan!  :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's a dangerous middle ground between top six forward and AHLer when you have OEL's term and AAV, especially when he's already started his decline.

So lets see if we make it work for this year and they agree to take some salary back with schmidt for a year. We open up the 19 mill of cao next year what are we spending that 19.5 mill on? We give boeser a 1.5 mill raise. K now we have 18. We go get a top 6 forward 6-7 mill 11 mill now. 2.25 raise for OEL from schmidt. 8.75 left. Now what do we do with that close to 9 mill now?

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There will be a few UFA defensemen available on the 28th that Benning can, and will probably, make offers to. Oleksiak, Murray, Forbort, Merrill, Johns. 

Larsen from Edmonton?  

Hard pass.  I think he ends up in Boston and hopefully he does.  Happy to let another team roll the dice since OEL doesn't fit the timeline for this core.

As someone who's been pretty pleased with the job he's done, my biggest criticism of JB is the lack of young D core he's built.  Yes we have Hughes/OJ/Rathbone but in 6 going on 7 years we should have more than that.  As @stawns mentioned in the 2021 Draft thread, it seems the thought was good defensemen could be had in later rounds of the draft but that line of thinking has changed the past few seasons.  You can also see the philosophy change for drafting over agers in the late round from the CHL to looking towards other leagues/college route for this picks.

Heres hoping he's looking at all the RHD options rumoured to be on the trade block.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So lets see if we make it work for this year and they agree to take some salary back with schmidt for a year. We open up the 19 mill of cao next year what are we spending that 19.5 mill on? We give boeser a 1.5 mill raise. K now we have 18. We go get a top 6 forward 6-7 mill 11 mill now. 2.25 raise for OEL from schmidt. 8.75 left. Now what do we do with that close to 9 mill now?

Why is OEL getting an extra 2.25?