The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

with shaw coming in i bet schmidt will come back too form, the few weeks before they all got covid he was looking good, everyones writing him off after this season? i dont get it.

EDIT: Also doesnt help that media keeps speculating that he wants out.

I'm betting on a bounce back too.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In his shoes, even if I didn't want out, I'd also be silent.  This is prime popcorn eating time, watching my GM sweat bullets while figuring out how to keep me satisfied amidst all the rumours.  :lol:

Makes total sense, because anything Schmidt says at this point will just throw fuel on the fires that hockey media folks have set themselves 

• Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In his shoes, even if I didn't want out, I'd also be silent.  This is prime popcorn eating time, watching my GM sweat bullets while figuring out how to keep me satisfied amidst all the rumours.  :lol:

I think there's a name for that? Is it sadism? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Does jim think like that tho? Does he want help on the left side to upgrade on edler

I would almost guarantee both Benning and Green are not comfortable with that left side. Juolevi seems like an afterthought to them at this point. I fully expect he will be traded.

They could instantly upgrade on Edler by moving Schmidt to the left side and go hard after 2 RH, right side D, assuming Schmidt wants to stay.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is OEL even a top four guy now?  He’s regressed a lot over the last couple years.  

I don't think he's regressed that far, the stats would say he hasn't. I don't watch a lot of Arizona tho, I mean who would?

I don't think its the end of the world if we do get him somehow, it all depends on what the retention and pieces are. But if AZ isn't willing to eat a lot of salary then meh, let them keep him. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

But it won’t stop the usual suspects from talking as though Benning just flipped Schmidt+ for OEL. 

He walked away from the deal last summer after losing valuable time working on it.  He’s open to some criticism because of that but it also shows he isn’t falling into the sunk cost fallacy.  We’ve already walked away from this. 

I also think kicking the tires on a Schmidt trade (if you believe the rumours) is a long ways away from a full effort to move him out.  Still a huge chance he’s back - and I think he improves if he is.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Are we completely comfortable with our left side of quinn rathbone and jouveli?

rathbone- 8 games

Jouveli- 23 career games

Not saying but saying

Precisely why you re-up Edler to a low base, 35+, bonus heavy contract to rotate in. An even rotation would see them reach at about 50 games.

• Upvote 1

I really hope OEL doesn’t end up on the Canucks. His cap hit is way too high and his best years are behind him, having him through his age 30 - 35 seasons at over 8 million seems ludicrous. If Arizona would be willing to eat half the salary then I’d be all over it but that’s not realistic, they aren’t going to pay 24.5 million in real dollars over the next 6 years for him to be on another team. I don’t think having him against their cap would be an issue at all but they have pretty tight pocketed over the years so it’s essentially unimaginable to see them take 50% of his deal on

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Crickets from the usual “Benning” suspects about this I’m guessing 

All the OEL chatter right from the start this offseason has sounded like it is almost exclusively AZ driven. 

The only way a Schmidt for OEL deal makes sense for Arizona is if they have to get rid of OEL asap and they wont retain much if anything to move him and/or expect a significant return for him. Cant see Benning biting on that scenario.

Schmidt adds 6 mil to their cap for 4 years. They likely wouldnt be looking for him as the return for OEL. Unless they are desperate as I said.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Schmidt is owed $20,800,000 in actual dollars over the next four seasons. OEL is owed $39,500,000 in actual dollars over those same four years. Cap space isn't the issue.

Hence why they would have to make it a freaking sweet deal. 

Eat 4mil a year and give us a 2022 2nd and 2023 first for Schmidt and a 2021 3rd 

• Cheers 1

If fans don't want 35 yr old Edler back at say 3-4m on a 1yr deal let's say, why would we want OEL at 8.25m till a similar age?? We have some young offensive LHD, we need to add to the RHD and the only thing the Canuck GM has done is give Myers a big contract, let local boy Stecher go at a relatively good cap hit and Hamonic, tbd was a good fit and should be brought back for 2 yrs around 2-2.5m per if possible.

Savard just won a cup, that must interest the Canuck GM. He overpaid Beagle after his cup win, so would he offer Savard a longer term deal or bigger cap hit deal? Will Savard age well into his 30s...that is my concern, have to admit almost never seen him play and sheltered 3rd pair minutes on TB doesn't help much. How  is his foot speed, anyone know if him and Brad Shaw had a good close relationship?

Pass on LHD OEL, the Canuck GM already screwed the team last off season by wasting all his time on OEL, let's not let it happen again...he must have something on the owners, cause that kind of mishap gets a high majority of GM's fired after the success in the bubble. Yet the whole clan gets brought back minus the PP coach, yikes!