The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

OEL will be 30 in a few days, his stats are slowly declining already and has 6 years left at $8+  He's also been a minus player every season. 

Schmidt, Roussel and Eriksson for OEL ?  Even that feels very risky, and I doubt ARI takes this package anyway.

I hope VAN passes and gets a cheaper, younger, tougher Dman.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think Coyotes can trade OEL with out retaining at least 1-2M/per.   Rebuilding teams don't have any interest of shedding assets for him (unless he's really cheap) and contender just dont have the cap space.

Quick question, when a team retain salary, is it only for cap purposes or that team needs to pay the same % of his salary in $ ?

If it's only for cap purposes I don't see why the Coyotes,  who are rebuilding and will be a floor team, wouldn't retain cap $ to save money.  Then, I could entertain a deal for him.

8 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I don't think Coyotes can trade OEL with out retaining at least 1-2M/per.   Rebuilding teams don't have any interest of shedding assets for him (unless he's really cheap) and contender just dont have the cap space.

Quick question, when a team retain salary, is it only for cap purposes or that team needs to pay the same % of his salary in $ ?

If it's only for cap purposes I don't see why the Coyotes,  who are rebuilding and will be a floor team, wouldn't retain cap $ to save money.  Then, I could entertain a deal for him.

its a % of whatever the deal is. Thats why you see teams wait for bonuses to be paid before moving players a lot of the time. 

But for sure AZ has to retain or take back something with a lot of term. Unless they just want to give him away for free, but I'm not sure anyone takes him for free at 8.25. 

23 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

OEL for Schmidt with Arizona retaining the difference in the cap would you do it?

Looks like it may be Schmidt & Virtanen for OEL…

Dunno if that’s a good thing or not…

I like that EDM proposition of Larsson & 20OA21…

21 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Seems terrible to me. 

I value contract flexibility at the highest premium. So although Jake has significant issues his contract is wonderful in that he will be gone soon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

OEL's buyout is actually pretty decent if you need to do it at some point in the contract.

So how do you sell that do an owner?

Hey man, if we trade for player xyz, in three years I think he sucks and we can pay him millions of your dollars to not play here.

Let's get him!

• Haha 1

Wait, an $8mil defenceman  for 7 more year that cant defend. A career minus player. Isn't that the exact opposite of what we need? We have young puck moving defencemen that will serve us better for way less. Need big strong RHD with grit. Why even entertain these thoughts even if they take loui!!!! 1 more year, let the youth show what they got and evaluate what we have then with  just the Luongo recap to sort out. Hitching up with OEL is just the next ball and chain for van but for way longer. Terrrible idea.

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Me_ said:

where are you hearing that? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  

interesting. I still think OEL is the better player than Nate. OEL-Myers could be a really solid pairing for us. If the cap hit was the same, I'd be fine with OEL coming here. 

2 hours ago, RypienRips said:

I would rather look at a Schmidt for Dumba  trade 

Doesn't do anything for the Wild and really Dumba should not be a target given how much the Canucks struggle to play defence.  

In their exit meeting Guerin told Dumba that he hopes not to lose him by trade or in expansion.  The Wild need cap space and Dumba might be a cap casualty.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Doesn't do anything for the Wild and really Dumba should not be a target given how much the Canucks struggle to play defence.  

In their exit meeting Guerin told Dumba that he hopes not to lose him by trade or in expansion.  The Wild need cap space and Dumba might be a cap casualty.

but the Wild have 15 mil in space, do you really think they need to dump Dumba?

Isn’t the biggest issue with OEL is his foot speed? His skating isn’t keeping up with the increased speed of the game

please confirm as I’m unsure I haven’t seen too many zona games 

11 hours ago, billabong said:

Sucha HARD no on OEL 

the most appealing part of the OEL trade last year was reallocating bad money to a better on ice player and that ship has sailed

Even if the Canucks rolled up roussel, eriksson and beagle for OEL in a strictly money for money move, I’d still say no. 

After next season Arizona would be totally free of all money constraints and we’d be paying OEL 8.25m for FIVE more years from age 30 to 35 

No GIF

Love this devito gif my favorite ahah

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

where are you hearing that? 

interesting. I still think OEL is the better player than Nate. OEL-Myers could be a really solid pairing for us. If the cap hit was the same, I'd be fine with OEL coming here. 

I’m seeing Schmidt + Jake for OEL.  :rolleyes: