The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

4 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Why would he do a 5 year term when he rejected an 8 year term to stay where he was. 

While he would be a free agent, we would need to shift salary to be cap compliant and it would be even harder after signing as we would be over a barrel and likely have to overpay to dump.

OEL allows us to potentially remove some of the cap and provide a longer term upgrade.

while I am not a huge fan of his age with that term it’s a problem for down the road and potentially since it’s structured in a buy out friendly manner he could still hold value as a rental if his play hasn’t dropped off to much. 

To get Piet - we would need to shift salary first, which I cannot see us doing to the level we need.

im of the view that it’s one or two more years and out poorer value contracts expire so we don’t need to aggressively shed cap now, but if there is an opportunity to upgrade without hamstringing the team it’s worth considering. 

I completely agree with the last sentence and your view on where the Canucks are atm with current contracts. Why chance the future with an overpayment for  next year when in 2 years the biggest contracts are gone. Shed what salary is deemed neccesary to keep momentum moving forward, lock down our future by seeing  what we potentially have in the minors.Our window is just starting to open.Could Tryamkin be our pietrangelo? defensively? If the flat cap is projected to be the norm for the next 4 years im sure in 2 years there will be other opportunities available  when we are free of sutter,beagle,roussel,loui.

OEL has VAN at the top of his list, but the clock is ticking and Benning has a lot of other work to do, a lot more players to sign, including the team MVP. I wonder if OEL decides to expand his list, some other team will scoop him up. I wouldn't be upset if OEL went somewhere else, as his $8.25 salary over the next 7 years is concerning. But if he becomes a Canuck, then they'll probably be a better team and then who knows. Cup or bust.

Ideally, VAN will be able to trade Eriksson and Sutter, and ARI will somehow retain some of OEL's salary. Draft picks are currency, and if VAN uses picks to make things work, where they're loading up to contend, so be it. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 2

I'm one of the people who would like to see him come here (if the deal is right), but it needs to happen asap or forget it! Unfortunately, this isn't one of those times you can drag out trade talks...there's too many other things that need taken care of or things being held up. Basically, here's our best / final offer, take it or leave it and move on. 

Edited by IRR
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Two leftys? I don’t know the importance of LD and RD positionally, but there would be more balance if a natural RD with a right shot was there instead.

If anyone, I’d go for Pietrangelo. We won’t need to give up assets via trade, he’s a better defenceman than OEL and he’s a right handed shot. 

It's generally more important in your own end as it's harder to clear the puck up the boards on your back hand. How often does Quinn even do that...? 99% of the time he carries or passes out, it's literally the thing everyone raves about. He's also said himself he creates more offense on the right. If your going to play some on their off side, it's Hughes IMO.

We would need to give up assets to acquire AP though as we'd need to clear cap to sign him. Burning some of those same assets to move said cap. And we'd be fighting with the rest of the league trying to sign him (for $1m+ more than what OEL is making FWIW).

But yes, he is a righty.

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

So basically if OEL holds out he is going to be a canuck. Quality organization Arizona is running there. Oh, let's force him to waive and then force him to add more teams. What a joke.

OEL has a NMC.  He cannot be waived.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's generally more important in your own end as it's harder to clear the puck up the boards on your back hand. How often does Quinn even do that...? 99% of the time he carries or passes out, it's literally the thing everyone raves about. He's also said himself he creates more offense on the right. If your going to play some on their off side, it's Hughes IMO.

We would need to give up assets to acquire AP though as we'd need to clear cap to sign him. Burning some of those same assets to move said cap. And we'd be fighting with the rest of the league trying to sign him (for $1m+ more than what OEL is making FWIW).

But yes, he is a righty.

he's one of the best in the league at controlled exits, but even with that, it's only about 48% of the time. 

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

OEL 

for

1st 2021 + 3rd 2020 + JV + Baer + LE

Lol.

:P

Kind of around what I am expecting though I could see a conditional 2nd(turns into first if we make it to 2nd round or something like that)  and one of Rath/OJ instead of that 3rd. Probably would have to take out Baer too. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Am I the only one wondering how we went from a slow rebuild with some great young players to a what seems like a full blown "win now" mode? Have we overrated what was a nice little surprise run in the bubble? Wasn't our window supposed to be another couple years away?

If we can lose some bad contracts in this deal I guess thats fine but will be really bummed if we lose a good young player or some high picks...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

OEL has VAN at the top of his list, but the clock is ticking and Benning has a lot of other work to do, a lot more players to sign, including the team MVP. I wonder if OEL decides to expand his list, some other team will scoop him up. I wouldn't be upset if OEL went somewhere else, as his $8.25 salary over the next 7 years is concerning. But if he becomes a Canuck, then they'll probably be a better team and then who knows. Cup or bust.

Ideally, VAN will be able to trade Eriksson and Sutter, and ARI will somehow retain some of OEL's salary. Draft picks are currency, and if VAN uses picks to make things work, where they're loading up to contend, so be it. 

Unless Louie’s cap hit (no retention) is going the other way,  I don’t see how enough space could be made. 

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

One thing Pierre Lebrun said about Pietrangelo is that he wants a contract with lots of bonuses, including at the end of the contract. Essentially, he wants to be "buyout-proof". That was the sticking point with St. Louis, and the main reason they have come to a stalemate. No doubt the team that wins the free agent bidding will have a risky contract to have in 5-6 years.

The thing with OEL is, there are no bonuses in the last 4 years of his contract. And the last 2 years are only $5.25M cash. So worst case scenario, if he does regress at the end of it, a buyout is very manageable.

I don't think a lot of people grasp how much better OEL's contract is than AP's is going to be. All at 18 months younger, less mileage, less injuries, better skater etc. And not competing with half the league for his services with zero intel that AP had any interest in coming here while OEL has is on his very, short list.

But yes, he's a lefty :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

F them. Stick to your Swedish Mafia guns OEL!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Am I the only one wondering how we went from a slow rebuild with some great young players to a what seems like a full blown "win now" mode? Have we overrated what was a nice little surprise run in the bubble? Wasn't our window supposed to be another couple years away?

If we can lose some bad contracts in this deal I guess thats fine but will be really bummed if we lose a good young player or some high picks...

Agree - the way I view the window was that it was planned for 2 years time.

bit with OEL we didn’t go shopping for him we happened to be on a 2 team list with a team wanting him moved. Why wouldn’t we look at an upgrade piece and a chance to get better, provided we don’t sacrifice our young players to get it.

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

If we get OEL we won’t have high picks for a while.  They will be in Patrick White, Jordan Schroeder territory.  I think the team becomes ready when they determine they are ready not when management plans for it.

Come on JB!  Seal the deal!

• Cheers 1

I think ARI wants picks and prospects. Certainly a Dman to one day replace OEL. They've got some good young players and prospects now, and adding more, the Yotes could be quite good in the years ahead. Giving up picks I can handle, but it really depends which prospect(s) go the other way. I really hope VAN can keep Juolevi and Rathbone.  

It's a tough one, we might not have seen the best of OEL yet, and he's in that age range when players win/peak. He would add a lot to a D that already includes Hughes, Myers and Edler. But he's making $8.25 or 7 more years, and has a NMC. That means the Canucks will be stuck with him, for as long as he wants to be here. I find once Swedes join the team, they never want to leave. Look at Eriksson lol