The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

24 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I think Boeser would be a good trade chip in getting a deal done. Canucks should be in the hunt as shoring up defense with someone elite should be a top priority for next year's run

Boy that would be a tough deal to turn down from either side.  We would have to add and have them take some cap back.

Boeser+Juolevi+Baertschi for OEL?

Similar money either way.

Arizona wants some more offence... Boeser would fit the ticket.

We lose a core guy that is close with guys on our team, but get a top flight D man to help the succession plan from Edler.  We can keep signing Edler to 1 year deals as a steady 3rd pairing guy who gets extra PK minutes.  He could last a lot longer if he was asked to do less as he got older.

Pearson-Petterson-Toffoli

Miller-Horvat-Virt (Pod in March)

Roussel-Gaudette-Leivo/Sutter

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Eriksson

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Myers

Edler-Stecher

Rathbone-Rafferty

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Vancouver is not a good fit for OEL. We need right-handed defensemen. It's not worth the price.

Seconded.

We have Hughes, Edler is still decent, and both Juolevi and Rathbone knocking on the door. Right side is the issue, especially if Tanev walks. Woo and Rafferty are not as promising as the aforementioned two.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:58 PM, PunjabiCanucks said:

2021 1st round pick? Virtanen, Woo , and pieces... for the trade?

Move Ericksson with Demko to make cap space

No cap space. i would move Ericsson and Sutter plus multiple picks, Virtanen and Stecher. 

OEL-Edler

Tanev-Hughes

Myers-Fantenberg

Rathbone

That looks like a cup contending D corps. Eriksson and Sutter cap hits would expire too in a year or two so coyotes will get their cap space back while still getting value for a player that wants out.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Boy that would be a tough deal to turn down from either side.  We would have to add and have them take some cap back.

Boeser+Juolevi+Baertschi for OEL?

Similar money either way.

Arizona wants some more offence... Boeser would fit the ticket.

We lose a core guy that is close with guys on our team, but get a top flight D man to help the succession plan from Edler.  We can keep signing Edler to 1 year deals as a steady 3rd pairing guy who gets extra PK minutes.  He could last a lot longer if he was asked to do less as he got older.

Pearson-Petterson-Toffoli

Miller-Horvat-Virt (Pod in March)

Roussel-Gaudette-Leivo/Sutter

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Eriksson

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Myers

Edler-Stecher

Rathbone-Rafferty

Come on @Provost, you know we can't fit that in under the cap. Weren't you the one that was pointing out the cap issue that we had? Although I see you didn't list any goalies, so perhaps we run with an empty net to fit under the cap? :P

On August 26, 2020 at 11:58 PM, PunjabiCanucks said:

2021 1st round pick? Virtanen, Woo , and pieces... for the trade?

Move Ericksson with Demko to make cap space

We don't want to trade for 29 year old D man  with 7 years X 8.2 million.. 36 years old at end of his contract..

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I don’t think Hughes is close to Jones yet but I think his ceiling is much much higher than Jones, so def would not do that trade, Hughes and boeser for Jones and Pierre luc Dubois tho now we’re on to something lol 

Meh, I still wouldn't trade Hughes. Unless you are talking about Mckinnon, it doesn't move the needle for me. Hughes it the best offensive D man in Canucks history.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

Vancouver is not a good fit for OEL. We need right-handed defensemen. It's not worth the price.

100% agree not a good fit at all.

Hughes and Pettersson are going to cost us north of 16M combined. 8M per would honestly be a surprise.  I would assume they are in and around 9-10m each.

Edited by Rush17

21 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Meh, I still wouldn't trade Hughes. Unless you are talking about Mckinnon, it doesn't move the needle for me. Hughes it the best offensive D man in Canucks history.

I never said he wasn’t I’m just saying as of right now Jones is a better dman, I could see that changing in the very near future but in a non bias opinion jones is above Hughes on the depth chart in 2020, I don’t feel the most comfortable at times when Hughes is in our own end against big men trying to defend down low, but I believe he will get stronger and smarter with that 

3 hours ago, Darkstar said:

What are you talking about? They have Tyler Myers. The $6M defenseman? I mean, I think he plays defense. On no less than 3 teams already. Good defencemen move around all the time :mellow:

Arizona if they are smart should get back a a huge haul. I wouldn’t do it that we gotta wait another year or 2 when we know what we are paying Petey and Hughes. We need to see where this COVID thing goes, the cap etc. It’s a huge risk making a blockbuster like that right now. 

I’d steer right clear

Several factors obviously come into this negotiation with Quinn Hughes he is arguably the best defenceman in the NHL already And he has room to improve in the defence zone. With his play Quinn deserves around 8 1/2 to $10 million a year for 8 years. If we get him at a lower cap even better.  I mean we should ultimately pay our best players what they are worth. Horvat at 6mill what a steal. Boeser about the same. Pettersson should get 8.5-10mil too.  I think Stecher would take pay cut to stay here. These guys are buying in even in terms of salary. 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize

16 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Arizona if they are smart should get back a a huge haul. I wouldn’t do it that we gotta wait another year or 2 when we know what we are paying Petey and Hughes. We need to see where this COVID thing goes, the cap etc. It’s a huge risk making a blockbuster like that right now. 

I’d steer right clear

I would as well. Not convinced OEL, at the age he's at, fits into our teams peak years. We have Quinn so we have an elite Dman. Keep building a solid dcore around him.

Edited by rekker
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2020 at 1:51 PM, Darkstar said:

On 8/28/2020 at 2:07 PM, D-Money said:

Seconded.

We have Hughes, Edler is still decent, and both Juolevi and Rathbone knocking on the door. Right side is the issue, especially if Tanev walks. Woo and Rafferty are not as promising as the aforementioned two.

Yeah and there's also:

On 8/27/2020 at 12:20 AM, Lancaster said:

Might as well just make a play for Pietrangelo when he hits UFA.

You can use less assets to move other bad contracts.  

Who would cost similar money/term but zero assets to acquire (though we'd still likely need to spend a few of those assets to shed cap).

It would of course likely mean no Tanev....but as much as it would suck losing 'Dad'...this would look awful purrrty next year:

Hughes, Pietrangelo

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Stecher

Benn, Rafferty/Brisebois

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah and there's also:

Who would cost similar money/term but zero assets to acquire (though we'd still likely need to spend a few of those assets to shed cap).

It would of course likely mean no Tanev....but as much as it would suck losing 'Dad'...this would look awful purrrty next year:

Hughes, Pietrangelo

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Stecher

Benn, Rafferty/Brisebois

i'd like to get Pietrangelo, im just wondering how much that would effect our up and coming RFA signings.

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah and there's also:

Hughes, Pietrangelo

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Stecher

Benn, Rafferty/Brisebois

Would definitely need to get rid of Eriksson or Sutter+Baer if we wanted to go get Peitrangelo.

Would be sexy af though, not gonna lie.

• Cheers 3