The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

On 8/27/2020 at 11:33 AM, Drakrami said:

Dont think a 22 year old Dmen is going to get 10m a year. Seth Jones is on a 5.4mil/year contract. 

EKs second contract was 6.5 and he was already showing Norris trophy worth play at 21 (won I think too) with 19 goals and 78 points.   In today’s money add 1.5 to that so 8 million for QHs IF he has a Norris caliber season would be equal value.   Plus he’s a RHD.   Doughty was also showing Norris trophy glimpses but not at the same level yet (his coming out party was 2013-2014).    Think players are getting paid more on their second deals now more then ever which will affect things a little - but doubt QHs is going to have a breakout quite like that too.   And even if he does the precedent for Norris winners percentage per cap at 21 is already known for second contract deals.    Heiskanen and Makars deals will also play into it.   

• 2 weeks later...

OEL is an excellent dman but his contract is just to long. If we didn't have Hughes I bet JB would be more interested. As it stands we will be paying Hughes a lot soon enough so I can't see a cap fit for OEL. Maybe if Arizona retained some, took LE. But then we would be adding big time. 

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

OEL is an excellent dman but his contract is just to long. If we didn't have Hughes I bet JB would be more interested. As it stands we will be paying Hughes a lot soon enough so I can't see a cap fit for OEL. Maybe if Arizona retained some, took LE. But then we would be adding big time. 

Honestly OEL and Hughes can both make 4.5 million dollar d-men look like 6 million dollar d-men, the Canucks breakout from their defensive zone was terrible against Vegas (who they pushed to game 7!), and OEL + Hughes' separate pairings could eat up like 80-90 percent of a game if needed.

I prefer the route of getting a super solid RHD for Edler (eventually Juolevi) who can move up and play with Hughes if needed, but OEL would still be a huge improvement, going into next season with a left side of

Hughes

Ekman-Larsson

Edler

Juolevi (if he wouldn't be moved for OEL..)

Would be pretty deep

But it would certainly mean the loss of Tanev and a weaker right-side with a mix of Myers, Stech, and cheaper UFAs (like Bogosian, Pysyk, Schenn).

I agree with you that OEL is possibly not the best fit for the Canucks but I could see why Benning would kick tires too

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Honestly OEL and Hughes can both make 4.5 million dollar d-men look like 6 million dollar d-men, the Canucks breakout from their defensive zone was terrible against Vegas (who they pushed to game 7!), and OEL + Hughes' separate pairings could eat up like 80-90 percent of a game if needed.

I prefer the route of getting a super solid RHD for Edler (eventually Juolevi) who can move up and play with Hughes if needed, but OEL would still be a huge improvement, going into next season with a left side of

Hughes

Ekman-Larsson

Edler

Juolevi (if he wouldn't be moved for OEL..)

Would be pretty deep

But it would certainly mean the loss of Tanev and a weaker right-side with a mix of Myers, Stech, and cheaper UFAs (like Bogosian, Pysyk, Schenn).

I agree with you that OEL is possibly not the best fit for the Canucks but I could see why Benning would kick tires too

I doubt we'd be after OEL (mostly due to the likely trade asset cost) but if we're spit-balling... Hughes very likely may need to move to the right side at some point if we can't find suitable RD.

OEL, Hughes

Edler, Stecher

Juolevi, Myers

Would be far from a horrible D unit.

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt we'd be after OEL (mostly due to the likely trade asset cost) but if we're spit-balling... Hughes very likely may need to move to the right side at some point if we can't find suitable RD.

OEL, Hughes

Edler, Stecher

Juolevi, Myers

Would be far from a horrible D unit.

I see the sentiment of moving Hughes to the right side quite often, but don't remember where that idea originated - is there some basis in reality for that (ie: he played right in college, or coach/GM said they were considering it, etc...)?

Or is this mostly just stuff that fans are bringing up as a consideration?

7 minutes ago, nzan said:

I see the sentiment of moving Hughes to the right side quite often, but don't remember where that idea originated - is there some basis in reality for that (ie: he played right in college, or coach/GM said they were considering it, etc...)?

Or is this mostly just stuff that fans are bringing up as a consideration?

He's played both sides in the past and has even been quoted saying he feels he produces more offense playing his off side.

The biggest issue with playing D on their off side is the issue of clearing the puck in their own end. It forces them to do so on their backhand which is less than ideal. Fortunately, Hughes basically never simply 'clears a puck' up and off the boards :lol: So it's FAR less of an issue.

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If we were going to spend that kind of money it be best to try for AP.  They are also roughly the same age. 

Yeah, I’d love to get either OEL or AP but at the end of the day, Benning is simply just doing his job. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's played both sides in the past and has even been quoted saying he feels he produces more offense playing his off side.

The biggest issue with playing D on their off side is the issue of clearing the puck in their own end. It forces them to do so on their backhand which is less than ideal. Fortunately, Hughes basically never simply 'clears a puck' up and off the boards :lol: So it's FAR less of an issue.

He's so quick, calm, and cool with the puck he could do it cleanly most times, where as probably 90% of others would have trouble.

• Vintage 1

Based on the asking price for OEL (https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/nhl-rumors-heres-potential-asking-price-oliver-ekman-larsson-trade) of a 1st plus a D prospect i would propose:

Canucks:
OEL

(actual salary for two years is roughly $17M)

Arizona
1st 2021

2nd 2021

Juolevi

Eriksson

(actual salary for two years is roughly $7M)

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's so quick, calm, and cool with the puck he could do it cleanly most times, where as probably 90% of others would have trouble.

He also usually skates or passes the puck forward, neither of which his handedness matters much. Particularly as he frequently goes left and right with it where he sees fit. It's simply not much/any issue with a player like Hughes.

A less break-out-capable D, it matters a lot more.

13 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

thats actually possible under the current cap. It guarantees Juolevi a spot too which makes me happy. 

Yeah I see OJ as a potential Edler replacement down the line. Hughes says he's capable of playing the right side and OEL would be a great defenseman for him to play with. If we could somehow retain Tanev(maybe have to a contract back like Benn/Baer/Sutter) then we'd have a killer top 4.

We'd lose next year's 1st though and probably another good pick/prospect.

IDK if worth. If they're willing to take Eriksson then it could be worth it.

Edited by Junkyard Dog