The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does BC have a serial killer prowling the Southern interior?

RUPERTKBD

I wasn't sure if this deserved it's own thread and debated putting it into "World Events", but I decided there might be enough for a discussion.

Officially, there are no links between these cases, but it seems like an odd coincidence if they're not:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/6-men-missing-in-same-region-of-bcs-southern-interior-but-no-links-in-cases-police-say/ar-BB18weuX?li=AAggNb9

Paige Fogen says she can't help but wonder if the unexplained disappearance of her brother is somehow connected to the cases of other men who have gone missing in B.C.'s southern Interior.

Marshal Iwaasa vanished without a trace last November. His burned-out truck was found on a remote forest service road near D'Arcy, B.C., about 150 kilometres northeast of Vancouver. To date, police and private investigators haven't found any clues about what happened to him, or evidence to prove he's dead or alive.

In the two years before Iwaasa disappeared, at least five other cases of men going missing were linked to the same region of southwestern B.C. Some of those cases share details similar to Iwaasa's.

Two of the missing men were eventually found dead. None of the cases have been solved.

The RCMP says there is no "investigational correlation" between any of the files, but Fogen can't help but wonder.  

"I certainly think that there's something," she said. "Whether this area does happen to be higher for dumping vehicles and burning them, or whether there's something else going on."

Fogen is not the first to be struck by the parallels.

Last year the family of another missing man also raised questions about possible links in the cases.

Luke Neville vanished without a trace near his home of Spences Bridge, located about 140 kilometres north of Hope on Highway 1,  in Oct. 2017. His burned-out van was found on a forest service road 20 kilometres out of town the next day.  

"I keep hoping every day that the police would call and say we're starting to connect all the dots," brother Mark Neville told CBC in 2019. 

"But no, I haven't heard anything from the police about if there's any commonality between the cases. But I feel that there is — that's just my gut."

Missing men cases in B.C.'s southern Interior

• Marshal Iwaasa, 26  last seen Nov. 17, 2019 

Iwaasa's torched GMC pickup truck was found by hikers on a remote forest service road near D'Arcy B.C., Nov. 23, 2019. His last known location was visiting a storage locker in his hometown of Lethbridge, one week earlier. Lethbridge Police are leading the investigation and say there is no evidence of criminality in the case.

• Ryan Provencher, 38, and Ben Scurr, 37  last seen July 17, 2019, found dead one month later 

The two Surrey men were last seen alive in a 2019 white Jeep Cherokee which was found four days later, abandoned in a wooded area near Logan Lake, located between Kamloops and Merritt. One month later, their bodies were found in a rural area north of Spences Bridge, 80 kilometres away. The RCMP has said there was "criminal behaviour" associated with the case, but no further details or cause of death have been made public.

• Ben Tyner, 32  last seen Jan. 26, 2019

Tyner, a working cowboy, vanished from the Merritt area after riding into the hills to look for cattle. His abandoned horse was found fully saddled on a forest service road northwest of the city two days later. An extensive search by volunteers and police on foot, horseback, in helicopters and on snowmobiles, found no trace.

• Ryan Schtuka, 20  last seen Feb, 18, 2018

The 20-year-old disappeared after leaving a house party at the Sun Peaks Ski Resort outside of Kamloops. RCMP and hundreds of volunteers have searched extensively through the village and its surrounding trails, forests and mountains, but few clues have ever emerged as to what happened to him.

• Luke Neville, 48  last seen Oct. 9, 2017 

Neville's burned-out white van was found on a forest service road 20 kilometres from his home in Spences Bridge. A cadaver dog search of the area in June 2018 turned up nothing. Last year the Neville family erected a billboard on the Trans Canada Highway in Spences Bridge, asking anyone with information to come forward. Police say they consider the disappearance suspicious. Brother Mark Neville says the family has not been informed of any developments in the case. "No leads, no suspect, no news," he said. "It's all in the police's hands and up to them."

According to an RCMP spokesman, all the cases remain open in each of their police jurisdictions. 

"The investigators in these matters are familiar with other ongoing investigations," said Cpl. Christopher Manseau. "The only thing noted to be in common is that the missing persons or victims are male, and their geographic location."

Certainly intriguing but doubtful. Not to make light of these missing men but it’s rare for serial killers to target men outside the “Blue Oyster” bar scene.  BC is a vast wilderness and hopefully families will get an answer one day soon.

EF786E23-325E-439B-BCCE-987D05F87B73.gif

16 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Certainly intriguing but doubtful. Not to make light of these missing men but it’s rare for serial killers to target men outside the “Blue Oyster” bar scene.  BC is a vast wilderness and hopefully families will get an answer one day soon.

EF786E23-325E-439B-BCCE-987D05F87B73.gif

Really? like the dude in TO targeting gay people? or do you mean specifically the Bear types that would hang out at Pump Jack on Davie? you know they all look like if Judas Priest was made up of 250lb dudes with beards?

I remember there was a few young healthy guys go missing over a few years in the gastown area, not gay, not drug related, just gone. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Really? like the dude in TO targeting gay people? or do you mean specifically the Bear types that would hang out at Pump Jack on Davie? you know they all look like if Judas Priest was made up of 250lb dudes with beards?

I remember there was a few young healthy guys go missing over a few years in the gastown area, not gay, not drug related, just gone. 

We’re talking about several thousand square  kilometres of wilderness, not Gastown or downtown Toronto. Makes it way less likely a serial killer is roaming in that area. 

15 minutes ago, sonoman said:

We’re talking about several thousand square  kilometres of wilderness, not Gastown or downtown Toronto. Makes it way less likely a serial killer is roaming in that area. 

That's why I mentioned the pacific northwest as it has been a hotbed for serial killers in the past. Also the 411 books, about people going missing all over, a lot in national parks.

Again though, do serial killers most target leather bar types or gay people in general? I was looking for clarification.

Edit: just to clarify my question further @sonoman what I am wondering...is there a history of serial killers specifically targeting the 'Leather' scene that exists in gay communities?  

Edited by bishopshodan

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

That's why I mentioned the pacific northwest as it has been a hotbed for serial killers in the past. Also the 411 books, about people going missing all over, a lot in national parks.

Again though, do serial killers most target leather bar types or gay people in general? I was looking for clarification.

Edit: just to clarify my question further @sonoman what I am wondering...is there a history of serial killers specifically targeting the 'Leather' scene that exists in gay communities?  

I tell my wife all the time that serial killers love to be near water, Bundy, Picton, Ridgway, Lucas, Ramirez, Bonin, Little, Zebra killers etc.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I tell my wife all the time that serial killers love to be near water, Bundy, Picton, Ridgway, Lucas, Ramirez, Bonin, Little, Zebra killers etc.

Perhaps coincidentally since the majority of the population lives near water. Not only that but quite often in the past serial killers were not identified because of a disconnect between law enforcement organizations. There are most likely many more that haven't been realized yet.

There's a great documentary called "I'll be gone in the dark" on HBO about the golden state killer. It focuses on how law enforcement was largely unaware of a serial predator for the duration of his activity due to this disconnect. There was even a level of distrust between precincts where investigators were actively blocked from acquiring and sharing information. It wasn't until a true crime blogger picked up on the similarities of crimes in the region that this was realized.

Interesting side note, that true crime blogger was the wife of Patton Oswalt.

15 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Perhaps coincidentally since the majority of the population lives near water. Not only that but quite often in the past serial killers were not identified because of a disconnect between law enforcement organizations. There are most likely many more that haven't been realized yet.

There's a great documentary called "I'll be gone in the dark" on HBO about the golden state killer. It focuses on how law enforcement was largely unaware of a serial predator for the duration of his activity due to this disconnect. There was even a level of distrust between precincts where investigators were actively blocked from acquiring and sharing information. It wasn't until a true crime blogger picked up on the similarities of crimes in the region that this was realized.

Interesting side note, that true crime blogger was the wife of Patton Oswalt.

I remember hearing about how they caught the prick years ago but didn't realize it was that same guy until the final episode. 

It is always freaky and sad when you drive up the highways to the interior and at those pit stops see you missing posters.  

It's nearly impossible to truly disappear without a trace without any intent, whether malicious or benign.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple killers

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I do remember that too.  Perhaps I just don't watch TV as much as I used to, but I found it weird that those stories just disappears from the news very quickly.  

• Cheers 1

On 8/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, bishopshodan said:

Not at all.  All documented studies suggest that most serial killers are men who kill women.  Just very rare for men-men serial killers and the geography makes it even less likely.  Definitely the Pacific Northwest has had more than its share of notorious killers.  Perhaps the gif was in bad taste, but the majority of men-men killers seem to pick on the gay community.  

51 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Not at all.  All documented studies suggest that most serial killers are men who kill women.  Just very rare for men-men serial killers and the geography makes it even less likely.  Definitely the Pacific Northwest has had more than its share of notorious killers.  Perhaps the gif was in bad taste, but the majority of men-men killers seem to pick on the gay community.  

Ahh,

Thank you. That was the clarification I was looking for.

The leather scene or  ' Blue Oyster Bar' types only make up a portion of the gay community. I was curious if these gay targeting serial killers had a thing specifically against those leather types.