The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis interviewed for Panthers GM job

Rate this topic

EP40.

A GM's job is not to scout.   that said he's my favorite gm of all time.  very innovative and did his job outside the box such as introducing a circle locker room which other teams in the leauge have adapted too. No one is in the corner etc etc.  Wish he got the job.  I wonder what is taking him so long to get another job, but whatever he seems happy either way, would love to see him get the job.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 8/30/2020 at 4:20 PM, Teemu Selänne said:

I like a lot of things about Gillis - he took seemingly minor things with the seriousness they deserved, like hiring sleep doctors, etc. And I think he's generally a smart GM. His drafting record has got to be a red flag for any team tough. I was a huge fan of a lot of his picks, and defended him a lot at the time, but in hindsight, I think Bo was his only pick to become a regular NHLer from his entire tenure.

I've always liked Mike , But don't you think that is the scouting crews job?...He gets so much flack because people think he single handily picked players at the draft...as far as I remember, We were the last Canadian team to make the finals, Dude did hell of a job.

It was clear that Gillis was ahead of his time.  He built a team for speed and skill when the league still wanted "heavy" and mean teams.  With any reasonable officiating, we would have won in 2011, but the entire league didn't like our team.  Even rivals of Boston who hated them... still rooted for them over us.  By letting "Sedin" be Swedish for punch me in the face, the league embraced years of teams building that sort of team that can bully you in the playoffs.

Our team really fell apart when Gillis tried to backpedal and build a team that could play that style and we got stuck with half players who could and half who couldn't.

Gillis and Gilman were probably the smartest guys who ever led the team, but not being the old boys club didn't do our franchise any favours unfortunately.  It showed me again how bush league the NHL is when certain GMs have a lot of power in the league head office and are charged with leading every committee, while others are on the outs entirely.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 8/30/2020 at 8:33 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

A GM's job is not to scout.   that said he's my favorite gm of all time.  very innovative and did his job outside the box such as introducing a circle locker room which other teams in the leauge have adapted too. No one is in the corner etc etc.  Wish he got the job.  I wonder what is taking him so long to get another job, but whatever he seems happy either way, would love to see him get the job.

Not to forget he pushed and got us a farm team to develop our players, something we were never able to do in our past

He did a lot of good things for this team outside of his innovations, that still make us a stronger  organization now and into the future with that alone

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It was clear that Gillis was ahead of his time.  He built a team for speed and skill when the league still wanted "heavy" and mean teams.  With any reasonable officiating, we would have won in 2011, but the entire league didn't like our team.  Even rivals of Boston who hated them... still rooted for them over us.  By letting "Sedin" be Swedish for punch me in the face, the league embraced years of teams building that sort of team that can bully you in the playoffs.

Our team really fell apart when Gillis tried to backpedal and build a team that could play that style and we got stuck with half players who could and half who couldn't.

Gillis and Gilman were probably the smartest guys who ever led the team, but not being the old boys club didn't do our franchise any favours unfortunately.  It showed me again how bush league the NHL is when certain GMs have a lot of power in the league head office and are charged with leading every committee, while others are on the outs entirely.

26 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Not to forget he pushed and got us a farm team to develop our players, something we were never able to do in our past

He did a lot of good things for this team outside of his innovations, that still make us a stronger  organization now and into the future with that alone

Couldn’t agree more.

Well said to both!

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

I've always liked Mike , But don't you think that is the scouting crews job?...He gets so much flack because people think he single handily picked players at the draft...as far as I remember, We were the last Canadian team to make the finals, Dude did hell of a job.

Trust me, I like him too. I think he's smart & innovative. As a former agent, he understands player's needs. When he took over Vancity had to travel so much further than any other team each season and he took that very seriously - as @Provost said he built a team based on skill & speed and was ahead of his time. He made it to the finals, and deservingly so.

And yes - it's partly the scouting crew's job. But the GM has final decision-making & should also be building a strong scouting team. I think if Gillis could go back in time he would take that very seriously and improve on it. A team that was having similar success in Gillis'  time, say the Sharks, had the following player become NHLers: Demers, Wingels, Coyle, Nieto, DeMelo, Hertl, Tierney, and seemingly Mirco Mueller in that same span. Same with Chicago: Kruger, Nordstrom, Hayes, Danault, Saad, Shaw, Teravainen, Hinostroza, Hartman, Motte and & maybe Hayden. Compare either of those records to basically only Bo Horvat and Ben Hutton and it looks pretty bad.

Edited by Teemu Selänne

23 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I miss the moose

On 8/30/2020 at 7:38 PM, EP40. said:

Wrong.

What actually happened was they ran into each other after game 2. Canucks were up 2-0 in the SCF against the Bruins and statistically speaking whenever that occurs in the Cup Finals, the team up far more often than not wins it all.

So because of that, MG+Aquilini were at the restaurant boozing it up and they were letting loose when Duthie (or Dreger, can’t remember which one) ran into them and they were sorta celebrating as if they had won to their defense, odds are they should have statistically speaking. Think about it, having the greatest regular season team ever assembled, follow it up with playoff success and at this position up 2-0...I don’t think anyone can blame them for being excited and celebrating at that point. And as we all now know it turns out, we ran into the greatest goaltending performance in finals history against Tim Thomas as he completely dried up the Canucks offense. 

/ mountain made out of a molehill this story. And this is the true iteration of it anyways lol

Tim thomas did not have the greatest goaltending performance in finals history. He played okay just Vancouver couldn't score. They did have many grade A scoring chances. I don't remember any big saves he made. He just didn't let in bad goals after game 2.