The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Taylor Hall

tan

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Taylor Hall

Taylor Hall is an excellent player, no doubt.  The Canucks are going to struggle with cap issues this year, so it would be very unlikely for them bring on a 9M contract.  They have to re-sign Marks, (hopefully) Toff and replace/resign Tanev; which may only happen if they can somehow unload the Loui contract.

Poor Taylor though.  He will be 29yrs old in November and has only played 14 playoff games.   The majority of Canuck players will have 15 games under their belts after tomorrows game.  Hopefully he will find himself playing on a decent team at some point during his career.

5 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Sure they can.

They'll be like the leafs with 4 players....better dump every NHL player.

I don't like Hall.

Sign and trade?  Start a bidding war between the Oil and Leafs (Bouchard + 1st from the Oil, Hyman/ Hallander/ 1st from Leafs)

*whoever gets him ends up with the 1st overall anyways

Edited by Phil_314

So in order to do such a move, we'll probably have trade Pearson and let Toffoli walk. Which leaves a hole on RW and I'd hate to pencil Jake in that spot right now. But either way, Toffoli may walk.

Our priority has to be defense, especially if we lose Tanev. And if we can stop with the passive defensive structure, that would be great. It may be another 2-3 years before we start to hit that contender status if all things go well.

The more I look at our roster, the more we need sign LW Hall to relace Eriksson.

Canucks failed by offense in loss to Golden Knights in West Second Round

Demko's performance, emergence of young core fuel hope for next season

by Mike G. Morreale @mikemorrealeNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer

Not as silly as it sounds...if we move on from Markstrom and trade Boeser...it could happen!

This offseason we:

Trade Boeser for Pesce (CAR, RD, $4.025 AAV)

Sign Hall to $9m x 8 years

Resign Toffoli (5.0), Gaudette (1.5), Motte (1.25), MacEwen (1.25)

Sign a vet backup goalie to $2m x 1 year

Let Markstrom, Tanev and Leivo go to UFA

Trade Roussel, Virtanen and Stecher for whatever we can get

Eriksson is waived to Utica

Sutter, Baer and Benn play out the last year of their contracts in VAN

All of the above moves will keep our cap hit (including all recapture, etc) to under $79m for next season.

I don't know who gets selected by Seattle but forgetting that for the moment...

The next offseason:

Sign Pettersson to $9m x 8 years

Sign Hughes to bridge $7m x 3 years

Sign Demko to $3.5m for 3 years

Sign Tryamkin to $2m for 1 year

Resign Juolevi (1.5), Rafferty (1.0), Lind (1.0), Jasek (1.0)

Sign Podkolzin to ELC

Buy out Eriksson contract

Roster in 2021-22 season:

Canucks with Hall 1.PNG

Canucks with Hall 2.PNG

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2020 at 8:52 PM, shazzam said:

So in order to do such a move, we'll probably have trade Pearson and let Toffoli walk. Which leaves a hole on RW and I'd hate to pencil Jake in that spot right now. But either way, Toffoli may walk.

Our priority has to be defense, especially if we lose Tanev. And if we can stop with the passive defensive structure, that would be great. It may be another 2-3 years before we start to hit that contender status if all things go well.

Yes, true, but both Toffoli and Pearson looked quite slow in the Vegas series, so, why not. And don't forget that Miller can play RW too and like this Baertschi could be a stopgap in the top 6 until Podkolzin arrives in April.

15 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Not as silly as it sounds...if we move on from Markstrom and trade Boeser...it could happen!

This offseason we:

All of the above moves will keep our cap hit (including all recapture, etc) to under $79m for next season.

The next offseason:

Sign Podkolzin to ELC

Canucks with Hall 1.PNG

Canucks with Hall 2.PNG

like it!

On 9/6/2020 at 5:18 AM, BigTramFan said:

This offseason we:

The next offseason:

Sign Podkolzin to ELC

Canucks with Hall 1.PNG

Canucks with Hall 2.PNG

The Canucks offense may have been the issue in the end against Vegas but I don't think the path forward should include gutting the defense of the team either. In your proposal you literally got rid of all but two D-men from the team that reached the second round, including the leadership group. On top of that you were only able to add one forward piece with a total of 14 playoff games in 11 years. 

The forward group now includes 2 rookies who may be talented but still have yet to play an NHL game and others who have not played a full season in the big league. You might be reaching for offense, which I don;t totally disagree with, but with this D I think we are out of the playoffs sooner. Look at the teams left in the playoffs and in the past, one thing in common, solid defensive play. 

3 hours ago, Highstickin said:

The Canucks offense may have been the issue in the end against Vegas but I don't think the path forward should include gutting the defense of the team either. In your proposal you literally got rid of all but two D-men from the team that reached the second round, including the leadership group. On top of that you were only able to add one forward piece with a total of 14 playoff games in 11 years. 

The forward group now includes 2 rookies who may be talented but still have yet to play an NHL game and others who have not played a full season in the big league. You might be reaching for offense, which I don;t totally disagree with, but with this D I think we are out of the playoffs sooner. Look at the teams left in the playoffs and in the past, one thing in common, solid defensive play. 

I think you have misread and perhaps thinking my detailed roster was for next season? But it's for 2021-22.

The roster for 2021-22 (which is TWO off seasons from now) should not include the following guys because their current contracts will have ended and IMO JB should not resign them: Edler, Stecher, Fantenberg, Benn, Sutter, Baertschi. There are some tough decisions to be made about Markstrom and Tanev.

I haven't "gutted" the defense, it is just that our D corps is aging out and it is time for a revamp. We need to get younger, bigger, tougher and better puck movers in our D corps. I think that Pesce, Cernak, Tryamkin would be excellent targets to get younger and tougher (these guys would replace Edler and Tanev). We also need the likes of Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty to come in and improve our zone clearances and offense from the back end.

Regarding Hoglander and Podkolzin. I expect both players to make the roster in 2021-22. I think it is clear that JB will need to rely on these younger guys coming through and replacing the Sutters of the team, so that our roster stays young and we can afford to pay for our core players like Pettersson and Hughes.

One final note...I am not actually suggesting that JB should target Hall this off season. I believe the money should be spent on improving our back end, as we have some excellent forward talent coming through our farm system that will provide the boost our offence that we need to become a contender.

43 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I think you have misread and perhaps thinking my detailed roster was for next season? But it's for 2021-22.

The roster for 2021-22 (which is TWO off seasons from now) should not include the following guys because their current contracts will have ended and IMO JB should not resign them: Edler, Stecher, Fantenberg, Benn, Sutter, Baertschi. There are some tough decisions to be made about Markstrom and Tanev.

I haven't "gutted" the defense, it is just that our D corps is aging out and it is time for a revamp. We need to get younger, bigger, tougher and better puck movers in our D corps. I think that Pesce, Cernak, Tryamkin would be excellent targets to get younger and tougher (these guys would replace Edler and Tanev). We also need the likes of Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty to come in and improve our zone clearances and offense from the back end.

Regarding Hoglander and Podkolzin. I expect both players to make the roster in 2021-22. I think it is clear that JB will need to rely on these younger guys coming through and replacing the Sutters of the team, so that our roster stays young and we can afford to pay for our core players like Pettersson and Hughes.

One final note...I am not actually suggesting that JB should target Hall this off season. I believe the money should be spent on improving our back end, as we have some excellent forward talent coming through our farm system that will provide the boost our offence that we need to become a contender.

You are correct I did misread the 2021-22 roster part, my apologize. Transitioning this D over 2 years as you have pointed out is certainly a lot better than 1. I don't disagree that we need to get younger with our D core but doing it all at once I think leads us down a path much like the leafs/oilers in which they rely on many young D men that may not be ready for the load. 

57 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

You are correct I did misread the 2021-22 roster part, my apologize. Transitioning this D over 2 years as you have pointed out is certainly a lot better than 1. I don't disagree that we need to get younger with our D core but doing it all at once I think leads us down a path much like the leafs/oilers in which they rely on many young D men that may not be ready for the load. 

No problem mate. I also agree with your sentiment that we don't want to become the Leafs!

Although in my post I have put forward a way that we could afford Hall, I am of the opinion that $9m AAV could be better spent, e.g. on a top line LW/RW around $5m and the other $4m to upgrade our defense.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 1:41 PM, BigTramFan said:

What I hope the Canucks Roster will look like in 2022-2023 (The year we win the CUP)

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Podkolzin

Toffoli Gaudette Anderson (CLB)

Motte Haula MacEwan

Lind

Hughes Pietrangelo

Juolevi Myers

Rathbone Rafferty

Woo

Demko

DiPietro