The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

What people need to understand is we are still building a real contender here. Some of our depth players were holes that we filled to try and stay competitive. Players like Hughes, Petey, Bo have brought this team to newer heights. But those players are still going to get better and the depth player contracts will come off the books. Yes they are trying to win a cup now but there’s a bigger picture here. We are just going to get better. Round 2 of the Stanley cup playoffs ain’t bad at all. Almost sealed that’s where we’ll end up but I couldn’t have expected more.  Disappointing yes. It always is when you lose but It could still get interesting here 

• Vintage 3

20 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Don’t forget how much of those breakdowns have nothing to do with our bottom 6 

I agree our 4th line is weak and needs improvement. We need to move on from Sutter and beagle and probably Roussel 

Well Virtanen and Gaud are primarily our relied on for secondary scoring which they haven't provided. Beagle and Sutter play the same role and we don't need them both. They provide little offense, if any and are only PK/Checking forwards. 

On top of that the only fast players are Virtanen, when he uses his speed, and Motte. Nobody in our bottom 6 making the D keep their heads up. So we are made up of strictly defensive players and young players who're still refining their game. None of these players are physically intimidating to place against either.

That's just the bottom 6. The defense we have currently cannot handle how Vegas plays with speed and tempo. Need more skill and physicality in the future D-core.

Top 6 has only a few guys with good speed too. Overall we are an average team skating wise and we saw how speed can make a difference vs a slower Blues team.

Not expecting roster changes this off-season though unless Benning really wants Toffoli/Marky/Tanev and is gonna dump some cap and bring up youngsters.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

So the series is over?

I'm glad you're not the coach.

"Just go home boys.  They're big and bad and there's just no point".

It's called being a realist, sweet heart. One complete game out of four. It's a been a struggle to win a period. A struggle to win puck battles, board battles, special teams. Literally everything that helps you win the game.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Jack Fig said:

I don't how people can forget that Boston beat the $&!# out of the Canucks in that series. 

Nah, the Canucks we’re walking wounded before the series began.  Hamhuis was healthy but took himself out by that attempted hipcheck.  Most of the blueline, save Salol lol, and the already Hamhuis came into the Finals hurt/injured already.  Well, there was that Bruins player that took out Raymond. 

37 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They got some lucky bounces and we didn't.

A puck in off a skate and a crossbar could have been the difference.

Vegas isn't all that the worshippers claim they are.  I see a team getting gifted a whole lot of get of jail free cards that help them build momentum.

We played just as well.  Screw them. 

Whichever team that knocks Vegas out of the playoffs will become my 2nd favorite team automatically. I can't stand the stinky Bettman smell all over that intolerable team from my TV screen.

Of course, my beloved Canucks still have a chance to do just that. :metal:

• Like 2

Just now, MikeyD said:

Green does the same thing though. We have guys like Mac who many don't know has amazing hands unless you watch him in the AHL, yet he never gets a scoring role. You have guys like Brogan Rafferty who are amazing puck movers and are in the upper echelon of dmen who can walk a line and make plays on the powerplay, guys like Justin Bailey are excellent forecheckers and can really add to a series like this. He's also capable of chipping in. Guys like Motte should get more ice time because they turn the tides of games. Guys like Pearson who haven't really done much when they're not contributing kill the team. Guys like Eriksson kill the team. Guys like Sutter kill the team. We need to keep a competitive culture and just because half the team makes bank doesn't mean they should be in the lineup. 

You are using their play in the AHL as a gauge.    By the same logic Reid Boucher should be in our lineup coz he will light the lamp like you have never seen.

If you think that throwing in Brogan Rafferty, with almost 0 experience, against a juggernaut like Vegas will move the needle then theres not much I can say.  I trust the GM/Coaching staff of Utica and Canucks to make that decision more than some fans getting desperate on a message board.

Its not the coaching here folks, Vegas is a big and deep team that made the finals already without  guys like Patches and Stone....they are even better now in my opinion.  Green has done an admirable job with a group of young players and a supporting cast of vets.  Is he perfect, no, but is it his fault that they are in this position right now, not in my opinion...its the difference in rosters...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's called being a realist, sweet heart. One complete game out of four. It's a been a struggle to win a period. A struggle to win puck battles, board battles, special teams. Literally everything that helps you win the game.

I’m sure glad you weren’t at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as part of the Royal Engineers.:P

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that's just a bad take wadr.

9 pts in 13 games is .69 ppg.

regular season was .78 ppg.

You really believe that's costing the team the playoffs?

Miller 1.04 ppg regular season.

.85 in the playoffs.

The thing is 1) it's more difficult to produce in playoff hockey and 2) Miller - a huge part of the 649 line - is playing injured - to the point they've had to shift him to wing - and are rolling with a rookie center and a sophomore.   Boeser's wrist is also questionable imo - that lethal wrister of his, we're just not seeing it.  I doubt he's simply forgotten - or lost it.  I think he's wrapping his wrist every game still.  

Anyhow - imo Vegas' lead in this series is assisted by a fair advantage in puck luck - and they are healthier = not a single injured guy out of their lineup = those two things have been a bit much to overcome in a matchup this tough/tight to begin with. 

2 points in last 7 games and just 1 point this Vegas series

I agree with mod @b3., it’s critical to say but as they said he has looked like a RHS Loui

• Wat 1