The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

100% IMO it's cause they were able to hand pick the perfect players to play their system. Their entire lineup plays with speed and are really skilled at puck pursuit. 

Not to mention all the prospects and picks they got from handcuffing teams. So they could go out and trade for Skilled players that fit that group 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

JB says otherwise 

good thing you are not the gm 

by the way Willie .... all I need to mention 

It all comes down to coaching, everyone sucks except you, and Tryamkin is Chara. :lol:

Little do you know his rights will be gone before we even have a chance to sign him.

I've seen enough, others are right, he's Hal Gill Lite, not a good NHL player, he's a weak little crybaby bitch for how big he is.

1 minute ago, Ferlands_Head said:

100% IMO it's cause they were able to hand pick the perfect players to play their system. Their entire lineup plays with speed and are really skilled at puck pursuit. 

They also got Nate Schmidt (PED's) and Shea Theodore; we at least gave them Luca Sbisa:P and he was half decent for them, but could have used some of those pizza's this series

• Haha 1

Just now, gameburn said:

It looks that way, true.  And their record suggests it. 

Funny though: they have an awful lot of players that wouldn't make the Canucks.  And no Pettersson or Hughes caliber players. 

So why are they better?  Better balance/depth? Better D? No super bad contracts (such as our LE) so more money for more depth?  To me, their success is a bit of a mystery.

Depth wise, they have 4 lines and can run them. Their top 6 isn't bad at all and their top line with Stone/Karlsson can match up vs other teams top line. Bottom 6 is fast and heavy and bring more to the table than ours.

Size and skill on D and that's good balance. Guys like Schmidt and Theodore then McNabb and Martinez. We got a bunch of guys who don't particularly play super-physically or aren't super skilled, save for Hughes. Edler is a jack of all and Myers is kind of that too and Edler's above average while Myers is average in that regard. Tanev is smooth defensively but isn't a physical player. Fanta/Benn are 6th/7th in the playoffs and Stecher doesn't bring too much for playoff success. They're aren't physical, skilled/fast like Hughes.

I would take a bunch of their players over ours, especially on D and on their bottom 6. Overall they're more built for playoff success.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, KeslerWho? said:

He got us past Minny. We're not here without his contributions in that series 

We have other players who are overpaid and done less across the length of the playoffs.  LE comes to mind as usual.  Not sure Sutter, Beagle, and Edler have been great for the money either.  And Myers's penalties and occasional giveaways....   

29 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's called being a realist, sweet heart. One complete game out of four. It's a been a struggle to win a period. A struggle to win puck battles, board battles, special teams. Literally everything that helps you win the game.

We have yet to see the best of Marky yet I think this series goes the distance. Marky has not been his usual self and that 2day break forcing a back to back games was the worst case scenario. Green had no choice but to roll with Marky but aside from a few nice saves he was not good these last 2 games.  Hope the boys play loose, Markies a beast and we get a few lucky bounces.

Also I'm not one to complain about the refs but the non calls on the Quinn hit and Gaudette trip we're terrible. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Depth wise, they have 4 lines and can run them. Their top 6 isn't bad at all and their top line with Stone/Karlsson can match up vs other teams top line. Bottom 6 is fast and heavy and bring more to the table than ours.

Size and skill on D and that's good balance. Guys like Schmidt and Theodore then McNabb and Martinez. We got a bunch of guys who don't particularly play super-physically or aren't super skilled, save for Hughes. Edler is a jack of all and Myers is kind of that too and Edler's above average while Myers is average in that regard. Tanev is smooth defensively but isn't a physical player. Fanta/Benn are 6th/7th in the playoffs and Stecher doesn't bring too much for playoff success. They're aren't physical, skilled/fast like Hughes.

I would take a bunch of their players over ours, especially on D and on their bottom 6. Overall they're more built for playoff success.

Their D is what I notice most, and Tuck on the third line. Absolutely overmatched when we face him. 

I hadn't realized they were running 4 lines consistently. The last time we did that was back in the heyday of the twins. 

They seem to spend a lot less time in their own zone too.

5 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Canucks with 47 hits.   shots were very even. We are only 1 of 2 nhl teams in history to come back from 3-1 deficit twice.  (94 and 03)  we will have to do it again. 

Stranger things have happened. We know VGK has serious choke potential. They were up 3-1 last year vs SJ looked like they were gonna blow SJ out that  5-3 6-3 and 5-0. We alll know how that ended. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gameburn said:

Their D is what I notice most, and Tuck on the third line. Absolutely overmatched when we face him. 

I hadn't realized they were running 4 lines consistently. The last time we did that was back in the heyday of the twins. 

They seem to spend a lot less time in their own zone too.

Their 4th line has played good vs us too. Martinez has played really well for them, he's been a good fit with Theodore. Schmidt and McNabb have played well too. 

Tuch is a gamer. I wish we had someone like that in our bottom 6.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Their 4th line has played good vs us too. Martinez has played really well for them, he's been a good fit with Theodore. Schmidt and McNabb have played well too. 

Tuch is a gamer. I wish we had someone like that in our bottom 6.

You're right: there have been quite a few times when their fourth line spent their whole shift cycling/wearing down our D.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Tuch was mostly a non factor tonight. I thought Myers played him well. 

The crazy thing about Vegas is what I used to say about Detroit in the 90's-00's, there are always 3 guys on the puck in their own zone. Vegas does that.

Their team game seems pretty good -- coaching probably a factor there. Stone was always Ottawa's best player, and now he doesn't really have to be that in Vegas -- still produces those turnovers though.

• Cheers 1