The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

In all the disappointment this seems to be forgotten...

Bo, Miller, EP, Quinn, Motte, Boeser (on/off), Marky and Myers (when playing) have been our best players... this bodes well for the future.

Lets get back to the starting point... This was about giving the youngsters (new comers) a taste of the play offs... Both for them to try it and for management to evaluate the team under the severe strain of play off hockey. 

And without doubt a few things have become evident... There has been a few not quite living up to expectation (or not over achieved, which is needed during the play offs). A few trades will be made through the offseason.

Adding Podz next season will change the dynamics and on the financial side of things... whether Hoglander, Lind, Lockwood etc makes it remains to be seen. 

The D-core need changed as well. Think Tanev is gone, despite him playing well during the games... as there are a few new players starting to look for spots.

I just hope we add some meanness into the line up. We don't really have a Torres type or similar. It doesn't seem to be in Jakes DNA to be that type...

Reaves is a clown, but would nice had we had someone, who could take him on. Ferland (hope he recovers) is not going to be the one...

So all in all even with a 'different' coach, I don't think we would be quite there yet.

Before play offs started almost everyone agreed, we were at least a couple of years away, but because the youngsters played even better than anyone could have expected, the level of expectation seems to have gone through the roof for some fans... 

Dare I suggest it is a process, and as the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.... This has been an immense experience for the group as a whole, and we are closer, than we could have imagined... 

Can I just throw in here, that Tampa, with all their riches hasn't won a cup yet and it took Ovi led Caps a fair few years to get it right as well. Just like the Blues, so have faith fellow fans. We will get there with the core players on this team.

Zero doubt about that...

Great post Spook.   Yeah OVI is what 35 in a couple of weeks?  Took him two cores to get a cup...remember early on when Green (who just retired, similar age) was a Norris candidate, first team all-star back to back etc .... piling up the points and WSH seemed destined to become a modern dynasty?   Then PIT kept spoiling their plans year after year for almost a decade.   Not easy to win a cup in any era, now it’s almost impossible even if your a favourite (TB since well, 2011 they also had Stamkos and St Louis and were also a favourite...too bad they couldn’t beat Thomas either).   Stamkos is also on his second core, this one looks to be the one.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Great post Spook.   Yeah OVI is what 35 in a couple of weeks?  Took him two cores to get a cup...remember early on when Green (who just retired, similar age) was a Norris candidate, first team all-star back to back etc .... piling up the points and WSH seemed destined to become a modern dynasty?   Then PIT kept spoiling their plans year after year for almost a decade.   Not easy to win a cup in any era, now it’s almost impossible even if your a favourite (TB since well, 2011 they also had Stamkos and St Louis and were also a favourite...too bad they couldn’t beat Thomas either).   Stamkos is also on his second core, this one looks to be the one.  

Exactly....

Its all about perspective. 

Will there be changes? Of course there will, there always are... will it be enough to win the cup? Who knows, there are 30 other teams trying as well, but seeing where we have been struggling, will give Benning far more of an indication, what this team is in need of going forward, that any draft pick could do for us....

This is, why it was so important for Benning to get us to the play offs. 

But like you said in a post a few weeks back, Sedins were mid 20's before they started to make moves, our stars are starting already, so that should give us an even longer window. I fancy our top 6 to do some damage again next time, when Podz is here, and could JV just get struck by lightning and become the destroyer, we all hope for, we could be golden, (if he is here for that long). 

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, gameburn said:

We have other players who are overpaid and done less across the length of the playoffs.  LE comes to mind as usual.  Not sure Sutter, Beagle, and Edler have been great for the money either.  And Myers's penalties and occasional giveaways....   

Sutter and Beagle have helped us win enough face offs ... they are fine.    Edler as usual started to wane once Myers went down - too many tough minutes.   Wouldn’t be even adding Myers to the list - Tyler Minors was a beast for us and if he wasn’t injured I doubt we’d be down 3-1 or have taken 6 games to get by St Louis.    Sutters gaffe last night ... well someone has to be the goat - wouldn’t worry too much next year will be the last we see him.    Maybe LE too.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Exactly....

Its all about perspective. 

Will there be changes? Of course there will, there always are... will it be enough to win the cup? Who knows, there are 30 other teams trying as well, but seeing where we have been struggling, will give Benning far more of an indication, what this team is in need of going forward, that any draft pick could do for us....

This is, why it was so important for Benning to get us to the play offs. 

But like you said in a post a few weeks back, Sedins were mid 20's before they started to make moves, our stars are starting already, so that should give us an even longer window. I fancy our top 6 to do some damage again next time, when Podz is here, and could JV just get struck by lightning and become the destroyer, we all hope for, we could be golden, (if he is here for that long). 

For sure.   The only other team we’ve had that was this capable this young was the Linden teams of the early 90’s.   Both Naslund and the Sedin teams didn’t start hitting their stride until their late 20’s (27ish) .... only two teams since the cap came in have managed to win cups with their stars on ELCs,  PIT and CHI.   It’s tough.   Almost impossible.   EDM won two rounds with McDavid early and lost a 7 game series against a veteran contending team in ANA.   That off-season EDM was picked as a favourite to win next year and we all know how that went.   Took them until now to get back and they completely blew it.    Most true contenders do it with parts of two cores.   I’m stoked to see what we managed this year - it gives me a lot of hope for our future - and also understand that next season is an opportunity cap wise to maybe go for a run like PIT and CHI managed.   It’s also a cautionary tale on the TO method (blowing it up completely),  teams need to have some vets from their previous core to assuage the experience with their upcoming youth - JB has definitely kept that in place.    EPs already passed Mathews in playoff points and they have yet to win one series.  Ha ha.   That keeps me warm and fuzzy.       

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Yeah no doubt. I do have a slight fear Green won't give him an opportunity though. I feel like he's gonna put OJ above him on the pecking order. 

On a side not... where Rathbone in this conversation? 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For sure.   The only other team we’ve had that was this capable this young was the Linden teams of the early 90’s.   Both Naslund and the Sedin teams didn’t start hitting their stride until their late 20’s (27ish) .... only two teams since the cap came in have managed to win cups with their stars on ELCs,  PIT and CHI.   It’s tough.   Almost impossible.   EDM won two rounds with McDavid early and lost a 7 game series against a veteran contending team in ANA.   That off-season EDM was picked as a favourite to win next year and we all know how that went.   Took them until now to get back and they completely blew it.    Most true contenders do it with parts of two cores.   I’m stoked to see what we managed this year - it gives me a lot of hope for our future - and also understand that next season is an opportunity cap wise to maybe go for a run like PIT and CHI managed.   It’s also a cautionary tale on the TO method (blowing it up completely),  teams need to have some vets from their previous core to assuage the experience with their upcoming youth - JB has definitely kept that in place.    EPs already passed Mathews in playoff points and they have yet to win one series.  Ha ha.   That keeps me warm and fuzzy.       

Hahaha... yes in lack of own success, others misfortunes are very welcome :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Hahaha... yes in lack of own success, others misfortunes are very welcome :lol:

It’s always fun to poke at leaf fans.   And Oiler fans.   And CAL fans.   Nice that we are the last Canadian team standing and that we did it with the engine that will keep this team relevant for another decade or so...

• Cheers 1

First, DeBoer showed that he trust his players when he let Fleury play instead of a goalie with two shutouts. I hope Green learned something there. The muscles have a hard time handle hard work two days in a row. So Marky should have rested... Not Markys fault for the loss though. He kept us in there til last period. So when we don't score on our chances we lose. And when we have to chase a goal we get much sloppier in defence.

Second... Stop hitting just for hittings sake. Our players loose focus and it's almost only Edler that can keep on playing his usual way while hitting. When we hit it takes too much of our energy so we get tired quicker. 

So when we hit we play Vegas right in their hands. 

Remember last game against Blues. No hitting almost and we outplayed them. 

I believe we take the next game easy. We had no luck in the last game so I hope we have a lot more luck in the coming games.

Edited by Timråfan
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It all comes down to coaching, everyone sucks except you, and Tryamkin is Chara. :lol:

Little do you know his rights will be gone before we even have a chance to sign him.

I've seen enough, others are right, he's Hal Gill Lite, not a good NHL player, he's a weak little crybaby bitch for how big he is.

He wS a young guy with a young family in a different country 

pressure you can’t comprehend 

you clearly don’t understand hockey so it’s hard to explain the game and players to people like you but you will just have to take the word of people like me that are far more knowledgeable 

we still have his rights, he could not have played post season even if we signed him, given the cap situation we told him to play one more season in the khl. JB has stated he is very much still in our plans 

got it now? 

you are welcome 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Really? He was super heavy on the boards when he played with us. You don't remember him fighting? It's usually because he'd hound guys on the walls haha. He'll never stand you up at the blue but he was super heavy on the boards. 

And that  was 3 years ago under clown Willie

if you look at his game video from the K he was developed much more of a mean streak 

Look at it this way everyone. If we had won this game and lost the next one we would absolutely feel like we still had a chance. 

Win the next game and make it a fun finish. 

Even if that doesn’t happen they outperformed expectations and we have a bright future ahead. First playoffs for so many players. 

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

I'm not ready to erase what this team accomplished over gthe last month over a bad 3rd period last night.

I believe this team won't give up easily and I won't either.

GCG!!!

We’ve already come back from two games down a couple goals - first time in club history.  If somehow we claw our way back and beat these guys I’m going to start viewing this team the same way I’ve judged JB picks in the past.  As in just not say a bad word about it because if it was me the guys would be golfing right from the outset and we’d be taking about how good Glass or Valardi might be and how Bouchard will be the next great RHD someday.    

Seriously though I’m with you.   First time we’ve been down by a couple of games.   Maybe Myers has some rust or just isn’t 90% yet but I’m expecting a complete effort from the team that will remind Vegas of game 2 and how capable we are when firing on all cylinders.   Brave prediction- 6-2 Canucks. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1