The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Hughes is an elite even generational player. There is no comparison 

Sorry I’m being blunt I know but point is none of those guys are going to have an impact over the guys we dressed. I know it’s disappointing losing but any coach is going to try and dress the best possible roster with what they have win or lose. Playoffs are also way different then regular season. I would be 100% on board dressing a OJ or Rafferty over vets. Graovac and Bailey are fringe nhls who serve a purpose when someone is injured. They are not going to provide some sort of spark to win a series

It's no longer about winning a series.  We are not going to take 3 in a row from Vegas, unlikely even to take the next one.

It's now just about giving the future core some playoff experience, letting them taste the heat of the contest, and not just observe it from the stands and live it vicariously from the practices and dressing room interactions.  Ofc Green and management may not see these black aces as future core players, or even as support players, but until tried, we will never know their potential.  Hughes has been ragdolled by the Knights and coughed up the puck a few times, and been scored on.   Would Juolevi? We don't know and probably will never know until next time we are in a post season situation.  Could Rafferty be a better option for a team shut out twice in 4 games than Stecher, or Benn? We dont know.

That's the point I am making - not trying to equate them with Hughes, but until we see them in the heat of a playoff battle, we'll never know what we have.

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Whatever goodwill Reaves earned during the week, he lost by acting like a complete idiot. I’d love to see him laid out right into the boards. 

Reaves is irrelevant. He's going to be out of the league in a couple of years. 

And he's a bottom, fourth line player. The guy plays what, 9 min a game? pfft. doesn't affect the game. If the Canucks don't let his antics get to them, he's largely a ghost. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, khay said:

If we can sign EP and Hughes to reasonable contracts, the window will remain open for many years.

Juolevi playing for Canucks is finally on the horizon. I wouldn't be surprised if our LD is Hughes-Edler-Juolevi starting next season.

We would need to infuse the bottom 6/middle 6 with speed and skill to compliment Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, and MacEwen. We have many options coming up in Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin, Lockwood, etc. 

RD needs bit more improvement I think. We have a promising yet unknown player in Rathbone. If he works out, then re-signing Tanev might be good enough.

Anyhow, too early to be thinking about the future. I think we are going to win tomorrow.

You think we're going to win tomorrow night? How so? 

Just for the record, I too, hope we win tomorrow night! 

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

It's no longer about winning a series.  We are not going to take 3 in a row from Vegas, unlikely even to take the next one.

It's now just about giving the future core some playoff experience, letting them taste the heat of the contest, and not just observe it from the stands and live it vicariously from the practices and dressing room interactions.  Ofc Green and management may not see these black aces as future core players, or even as support players, but until tried, we will never know their potential.  Hughes has been ragdolled by the Knighgs and coughed up the puck a few times, and been scored on.   Would Juolevi? We don't know and probably will never know until next time we are in a post season situation.  Could Rafferty be a better option for a team shut out twice in 4 games than Stecher, or Benn? We dont know.

That's the point I am making - not trying to equate them with Hughes, but until we see them in the heat of a playoff battle, we'll never know what we have.

And Rathbone too, didn't we sign him? We used a year of an entry contract didn't we? I'm with Goog: give the younger players a chance, the vets like Beagle, Sutter and Edler aren't getting it done, try something different. Young legs, a chance to strech the organization too. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Reaves is irrelevant. He's going to be out of the league in a couple of years. 

And he's a bottom, fourth line player. The guy plays what, 9 min a game? pfft. doesn't affect the game. If the Canucks don't let his antics get to them, he's largely a ghost. 

For sure. I just hope he doesn’t break a Canuck in the meantime. 

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, KO7 said:

Like most others here, I’ve really enjoyed and appreciated this postseason run by this iteration of the Canucks.  

I’m grateful that it allowed my dad and I to cheer on, and witness a Canucks series win (or two) again as you never know when these opportunities will come around again.  Grew up as a Canucks fan, and have fond memories of sitting on the floor between my dad’s legs as a child cheering on the Linden, Bure, and McLean teams.  My dad is approaching his 80s, and I’ve recently come off a cancer battle.  Canucks victories are some of the few things we can bond over, and not an insignificant part of what makes life still worth fighting for. 

So yeah, whatever happens the rest of this series (and hopefully beyond, this postseason), I’ve really loved this postseason as a Canucks fan.  

Thanks for sharing. 

Hoping that your cancer has gone away for good. 

It's true that you never know when these opportunities will come around again. Just because we've made it this far this year doesn't mean we'll get back to where we are now next year. Rosters change, and things need to go right for the team in order to advance every round - scoring, depth scoring, staying healthy, getting the right calls at the right moments, being able to get the right saves at the right times, good coaching, etc. 

So far, we've gotten many, if not all, of those up to this point. 

Vegas is just a good team. But they're also human, which means they're beatable. I think the Canucks just need to approach tomorrow with a "win this period" - and not even look at the game, but got to break it down period by period, shift by shift. 

Their margin for error is basically zero. 

My gut feeling is if Vegas scores first and they score fast and often. I think this game could get out of hand offensively, and if it does, I think the boys pack it in. Too much of a steep hill to climb if they're down 3-0 by the time the second period rolls around. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I just see it unfolding that way. Vancouver hasn't been able to win a game after Vegas scores first. Last night would've been the first time it's happened in this series, but alas, not meant to be. 

Like many of the fanbase, I hope that we pull out a win tomorrow night, and get the boys to re-focus on game 6. 

All hands on deck - players, coaches, fans. Sending positive energy (I was upset last night, I'll admit, &^@# Vegas and the NHL for gifting them such a good team right off the bat). 

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

It's now just about giving the future core some playoff experience, letting them taste the heat of the contest, and not just observe it from the stands and live it vicariously from the practices and dressing room interactions.  Ofc Green and management may not see these black aces as future core players, or even as support players, but until tried, we will never know their potential.  Hughes has been ragdolled by the Knights and coughed up the puck a few times, and been scored on.   Would Juolevi? We don't know and probably will never know until next time we are in a post season situation.  Could Rafferty be a better option for a team shut out twice in 4 games than Stecher, or Benn? We dont know.

I think just being a part of the playoffs is good experience. The younger guys practice with the vets. They know where they stack up against someone on the roster and the playoffs is when they have a much closer view of where their game's at in relation to where they need their game to be. I don't think throwing the young ins to the wolves is the answer. No good comes out of it.

Just being here for the ride has probably been a huge learning experience already. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Gaudette looked good, Jake looked like Patrick white 

Might be time to ship Virtanen out.....

and I say this as someone who has wanted so badly for Virtanen to break out and do well here in Van. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Gaudette and Virtanen didnt look very good, Markstrom has to make that save on Schmitt on the game tying goal too. That one hurts.  

Gaudette I think could be a keeper. He's got a good attitude, works hard, trains hard and seems to be teachable. For a fourth round pick? This one's a win. 

Jake? Poor attitude, work ethic is questionable, etc. I want the guy to do so well here in this market. But after last night's performance, just have to wonder if he's one of Green's guys - players that will help them win. Because after last night's Vegas win, he certainly was not one of those players. Is he a late bloomer? Perhaps. Could even possibly be a 50 point player sometime down the road. Wish it could be here. But I don't think it'll happen. Does management still wait for Jake to blossom or do they ship him out because their patience with him has run out? 

18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

That’s totally fair. I see where you’re coming from. I think from a coaches perspective that may be like throwing in the towel. Highly unlikely we win the series but that isn’t going to stop them from trying. I do not think that makes him a bad coach or a Willie D. It’s playoffs. Any coach is going to scratch and claw and try and get everything they got out of their best players 

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think just being a part of the playoffs is good experience. The younger guys practice with the vets. They know where they stack up against someone on the roster and the playoffs is when they have a much closer view of where their game's at in relation to where they need their game to be. I don't think throwing the young ins to the wolves is the answer. No good comes out of it.

Just being here for the ride has probably been a huge learning experience already. 

I think in this market, there was low expectations for the Canucks when the play in rounds started. When they won the series against Minny. Expectations started to rise a little

Then the expectations absolutely blew up when they won the series against the Blues - the defending Stanley Cup Champs. 

And I think that's rolled over to the Vegas series. Vegas is a good team. I think they're definitely better than the Blues. 

Vancouver's been able to hold its own against Vegas to a degree. And it's definitely been good experience for players like Bo, Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc. At the same time, Green also said they're not here "for experience" - they're here to win. And that's where, I think, the disappointment with some fans lay. the team is here to win. But they're not winning - that's disappointing. It sucks. 

Do we need to have a long view as fans? Sure. But there's also no promises that their development is linear. There is no promise that this team "will get better" over the course of the next 2-5 years. A lot has to depend on player development, team development, coaches and their staff, management and their ability or inability to add the necessary pieces to supplement the core moving forward. How does the rest of the Western Conference stack up? Do they get better? etc, etc. It's not slam dunk. 

And the media aspect of it all too. I can't imagine how much more pressure there would be if there were fans in the stadiums, media mobbing the players with questions without end, the scrutiny, etc. Would be much harder for this young Canucks team, I think. So we need to take advantage here - being in the bubble, no fans (no teams have an advantage in this regard), no media scrutiny, etc. With that being said, it's hard not to love this Canucks team and the fight they've offered and given. 

Was listening to 650 the other day, and I think it was Rintoul who said that, the Canucks can give all of what they got, and it may still not be enough. At the end of the day, the more talented team will win out more often than not. And if we had to compare both teams, there is no doubt that Vegas is the deeper more talented team especially on their backend. 

I'm hoping for a win tomorrow, but I wouldn't be absolutely disappointed and crushed if we lost. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Slegr said:

Here’s a what if scenario... what if tomorrow morning half the Knights tested positive for COVID? Not that I’d wish that on anyone, just wondering how the NHL would proceed.

forfeit the game or postpone it. 

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

That’s totally fair. I see where you’re coming from. I think from a coaches perspective that may be like throwing in the towel. Highly unlikely we win the series but that isn’t going to stop them from trying. I do not think that makes him a bad coach or a Willie D. It’s playoffs. Any coach is going to scratch and claw and try and get everything they got out of their best players 

Green is so much better of a coach than Willie D. Willie was just a bad coach. I remember the 2015 playoffs against Calgary. He just continued to roll "four lines" - like WTF. This is postseason. Why aren't you playing your best players more minutes and give them more ice time? Wasn't surprised we lost there - coaching was bad, and well, the players were declining too (Sedins, etc). 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You think we're going to win tomorrow night? How so? 

Just for the record, I too, hope we win tomorrow night! 

The Canucks lost last night because of turnovers not because they couldn't generate any scoring chances (i.e., games 1 and 3).

I assume we are going to play cleaner game in our own end tomorrow and I think Marky has one more great game to give.

Edited by khay
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm hoping for a win tomorrow, but I wouldn't be absolutely disappointed and crushed if we lost. 

Me too, but I don't realistically believe we have a chance to win 3 straight. With that said, not many felt we could get past the Blues and we did, so this team has already surprised many and we might be wrong again.

Vegas simply has a great team and many have picked them to win the cup. Considering this is the first year we are a playoff team, the fact we could hang with them for a couple games says a lot in itself.

I would also like to point out again how heavy the teams we have played have been. We are tired. I can't help wonder if we might have a bit more energy if we played a Calgary or Edmonton before this point instead.

Regardless, I too feel this run has given our young team a lot of understanding about what it takes to win it all. You better believe our stars like Petey and Hughes are going to benefit. And for the fans - well, despite the weird times during covid, I know I am pretty stoked to have seen meaningful hockey again.

• Vintage 1