The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

29 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yep, Vegas is at their peak and will come down in a year or two and then enter the inevitable long rebuild period all expansion team go through.  We will be spanking them for the next decade very soon.

And frankly, we are already a top 4 team in the west by virtue of being in the second round with a core that is not even close to their prime. We will be fine. The future is bright and frankly, getting the three month off might actually be more of a benefit giving our boys time to heal and actually practice and refine their skills as opposed to a potentially quick one month turnaround to next season.

Whomever wins the cup this year is going to have a miserable season if everything goes according to plan.

I think that first part is something a lot of us Nucks fans overlook as we fret about Vegas. 

If you take a look down their roster they are legit peaking. Most of their top guys are late 20's and early 30's. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights

And because of their regular season and playoff success, they won't have many high picks. They'll be near the bottom of each round. 

Vegas is a thorn in our side now, but a couple years of both teams aging and the balance should shift. Sure, both teams won't remain the same, but GM's won't be making it easy for Vegas going forward.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We’ve had 50 years of getting better and yet here we are, the recipe for winning the cup has always been beating down the other team, we need a coach that can cook or face another 50 years of “we’re exceeding expectations”. Sorry, I expected the cup long ago.

I understand your frustration but we haven't entered our cup window yet. 

We will have many chances at the Cup.

In fact, I think we're going to win it several times with this team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Notably,  in game 4, Sutter didn't take a faceoff (he won 8 of 10 on Saturday, so something is amiss).   Gaudette did ok in the circle yesterday, winning 5 of 8 after winning just 1 of 4 on Saturday, so his improvement came at just the right time.  But something ails Sutter, in addition to Miller's wrist hampering him.

Yep - moving Sutter to Beagle's wing, imo wasn't a 'strategic' decision but a necessary one that makes the team more vulnerable.  It's not so much the faceoffs - as the defensive role in general - but what can you do if Sutter and Miller are injured - they have to lean on EP and Gaudette.  EP has elevated his game remarkably - Gaudette has had some extremely challenging, long shifts in his zone.

• Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Vegas is peaking,we have yet to peak

We're not even close! Not even in the ball park ermmm ice rink, with D upgrades and Hogs n Podz in, Big Mac in, and a additional tweak or 2, Then we can get started, this is just a warm up and experience for our younger guys who finally have a taste of the big dance but this season has been a decent success, looking forward to how the team settles in, and actually has an identity for a change, since 2011.. just hasn't been there or even close.. 

Thank God that's done with! 

Andddddd the series is not over until it's over.. let's see how they respond to this.. 

Edited by iceman64

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Postpone for 2 weeks? I think not. Ok rock paper scissors. Someone contract it and go cook them a nice meal lol

Yea. I dunno. I'm not sure what they would do if the Knights had contracted COVID. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think that first part is something a lot of us Nucks fans overlook as we fret about Vegas. 

If you take a look down their roster they are legit peaking. Most of their top guys are late 20's and early 30's. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights

And because of their regular season and playoff success, they won't have many high picks. They'll be near the bottom of each round. 

Vegas is a thorn in our side now, but a couple years of both teams aging and the balance should shift. Sure, both teams won't remain the same, but GM's won't be making it easy for Vegas going forward.

Yeah. That's true. 

I guess I envy Vegas' success because they had so much success so soon and so quickly

But yeah, GM's definitely moving forward will not be making it easy for Vegas. 

What did Montréal get in return for Pacorietty? And what did Ottawa get in return for Stone from Vegas? Were those deals any good? 

47 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Hopefully the boys get some inspiration from watching Colorado tonight :towel:

Colorado staved off elimination tonight eh. 

Hoping for the boys to stave off elimination tomorrow night. I'm not sure if I can watch the game tomorrow night, but I'll be checking in here and Reddit for in-game reactions. haha 

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

I understand your frustration but we haven't entered our cup window yet. 

We will have many chances at the Cup.

In fact, I think we're going to win it several times with this team.

I get the same sense with this team. If this is what they can do now while Petey and Hughes are both 20 and 21 - what are they able to accomplish when they've had a few years under their belt?? I can't even begin to imagine

Not sure if Benning will still be the GM at that time, but I hope whoever the GM is, they'll surround Petey and Hughes with the right pieces to have playoff and championship success. God knows that this fan base has endured long enough to go without a championship. 

5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Green had our 4th line out with just over 5 minutes left and we were down by 2 

are you sure he is different? 

He couldn't be worse than Willie D. 

Willie was another level bad. 

5 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Vegas has 4 effective lines and we don’t. Their 4th line plays way more minutes than ours. They have depth we can only dream of.

Yeah. I'd agree with that. Their depth is way better than ours that's for sure. 

I think our top two lines and Vegas' top two lines wash each other out. 

It's Vegas' third and fourth lines that are doing damage. Our third line hasn't done squat in this series. And if tomorrow's going to be the day they extend the series, then they better show up in a big way and contribute both defensively and offensively

I think the Canucks will show up, and fight against Vegas - give their best. But I still don't think their best will be good enough against a stacked Vegas team unfortunately. 

Hope I'm wrong! 

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. That's true. 

I guess I envy Vegas' success because they had so much success so soon and so quickly

What did Montréal get in return for Pacorietty? And what did Ottawa get in return for Stone from Vegas? Were those deals any good? 

I hate how successful they've been right off the hop, it'll be interesting to see how Seattle makes out 

Montreal got Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki, 19, and a second-round pick in 2019 for Patches. Tatar's actually been really good for them, I haven't paid enough attention, but it looks like Suzuki had a pretty solid rookie year. I dunno about the second-rounder, but seems like it's worked out for Montreal thus far.

Ottawa got Oscar Lindberg, Erik Brannstrom and a 2020 second-rounder. Can't really speak to the trade. 

6 hours ago, kloubek said:

Me too, but I don't realistically believe we have a chance to win 3 straight. With that said, not many felt we could get past the Blues and we did, so this team has already surprised many and we might be wrong again.

Vegas simply has a great team and many have picked them to win the cup. Considering this is the first year we are a playoff team, the fact we could hang with them for a couple games says a lot in itself.

I would also like to point out again how heavy the teams we have played have been. We are tired. I can't help wonder if we might have a bit more energy if we played a Calgary or Edmonton before this point instead.

Regardless, I too feel this run has given our young team a lot of understanding about what it takes to win it all. You better believe our stars like Petey and Hughes are going to benefit. And for the fans - well, despite the weird times during covid, I know I am pretty stoked to have seen meaningful hockey again.

That's true. I guess we need to look farther ahead. 

Vegas is a good team, they benefited from expansion rules for sure. But they won't be like this forever. GM's come and go, some bad, some good, players come and go, etc. The team will change, and they will dip and have losing seasons. Franchise life is a cycle. 

I think it could be a Lighning vs Knights Cup final. If that's the case, I'd take Tampa Bay to win it all. They're soooo deep in every area, and they're just as strong with all four of their lines as Vegas is. Rooting for Lightning if that scenario unfolds itself. 

I mean, every team will face heavy teams eventually right. The further you go, the stronger the opponent becomes, and since Vegas is in the West, we'd meet them eventually. We need to prepare a roster that can stand a fighting chance of moving on and defeating teams like this. If it's not Vegas, it could be another team. 

I think it definitely does benefit our group of young players in terms of experience. Every up and coming team has got to learn. Even Gretzky and the Oilers had to lose before they won. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. That's true. 

Stone was had for Brannstrom, Oscar Lindberg, and a 2nd. Brannstrom is an elite PMD. Could turn into Karlsson?

Good trade for Vegas since Stone is probably the best 2 way winger in the NHL. Ottawa had no choice but to trade him with Stone's contract expiring. I have not watch Brannstrom play so can't comment on him much.

Pacioretty was had for Suzuki, Tatar, and 2nd rounder. Suzuki performed really well in the playoffs. He is a scoring winger. Tatar found a role in Montreal. 

I'd say this was a fair deal for both sides. Pacioretty's production was in decline in Montreal.

Obviously, Vegas did not lose any of the deals. They did what any contending team would do: trade future to win now.

With William Karlsson between Stone and Pacioretty, they have an elite first line that plays fast, can score, and forecheck against anybody.