The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Finnish sniper Laine on the board

NHL'er

When he first came in the league I thought this guy was special.

Wouldn't touch him now. Poor foot speed, seems to have fitness issues/motivation issues.

He even publicly said how bad he would be if the NHL came back this season. 
For what he is going to get paid as a winger, I just don’t see him as a good add or piece to build around. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Consistent 30 goal scorer, had a bounce back season.

It would take a lot to get him from Winnipeg though.  Brock is a good start, but it's the additional pieces that would kill us.

That was my first thought: Boeser +, whatever the + would be.

As much of a sniper as Laine is, I really dislike his character, and I have a feeling Benning would have an issue with that as well. Laine made some comments a while back about the Canucks players banning video games on the road. I believe he may have been difficult with his contract negotiations.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

That was my first thought: Boeser +, whatever the + would be.

As much of a sniper as Laine is, I really dislike his character, and I have a feeling Benning would have an issue with that as well. Laine made some comments a while back about the Canucks players banning video games on the road. I believe he may have been difficult with his contract negotiations.  

I agree, as a player I think he'd an upgrade.

I doubt he'd mesh well with the guys in our locker room.

28 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I doubt he'd mesh well with the guys in our locker room.

You're probably right, hard working character people, I've found, typically don't get along with, well......

Not to mention:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-laine-chirps-canucks-decision-ban-fortnite-video-games/sn-amp/

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

Consistent 30 goal scorer, had a bounce back season.

It would take a lot to get him from Winnipeg though.  Brock is a good start, but it's the additional pieces that would kill us.

I wouldn't even consider Brock straight across for that head case floater.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Laine for OEL. Because Kessel needs a buddy. 

Lol. Yip, Laine and Kessel, that's a marriage made in goof off hockey heaven. They could punch their NHL time clock, keep skipping the gym, keep the golf courses busy. Perfect players for Arizona. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's be boeser and woo or juolevi plus a pick.  Not as interested as some but he'd be fun to watch with Petterson

I think he's to slow to play with Petey. Same with how Brock can struggle to keep up with Petey's game at times. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Lol. Yip, Laine and Kessel, that's a marriage made in goof off hockey heaven. They could punch their NHL time clock, keep skipping the gym, keep the golf courses busy. Perfect players for Arizona. 

Laine is just a big Kessel, they'd be awesome together. 

seriously tho, Laine is a big enough name to pull the trigger on an OEL deal. Thats if AZ had a fanbase that cared. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Aho is a beast, definitely the better player than Laine

The more I think about it, the more I wish JB could've moved one of Vrbata/Hamhuis/Miller for a late 1st or early second in the 2015 draft to pick up Aho as well. if we did that, we would be the biggest winner in that 2015 draft walking away with both Boeser and Aho.

• Cheers 1